Regular Member Meeting 20180713
This meeting will be held in MIBS SRC3 format.
7/13/2018 20:00, Dallas Makerspace
Committee chairs are requested to provide their reports in writing. Reports can be short bullet-points.
- 3D Fabrication Committee
- Automotive Committee
- Blacksmith Committee
- Classroom Committee
- Creative Arts Committee
- No scheduled meeting this month.
- Tried to sell the printers but was told to reverse and need to sell them together for $1200
- I've bought almost all items requested by the printmaking SIG as agreed upon by before they became a committee
- Asked to have the printers moved out into storage and sold with help from Luke so printmaking would have space for said bought items.
- Purchased a ton of vinyl, buttons, consumable supplies for the room.
- Set fire to my credit card basically (not really but close to it)
- Digital Media Committee
- Electronics Robotics Committee
- Fired Arts Committee
- Infrastructure Committee
- Jewelry/Small Metals Committee
- No big news to report.
- Committee priority remains to be recruiting volunteers to teach
- We had a total of 11 in June... Thanks to everyone who volunteered to teach!!
- Next meeting scheduled for 8/15
- Laser Committee
- Logistics Committee
- Machine Shop Committee
- Metal Shop Committee
- Public Relations Committee
- Hatcher's Armory Committee
- Draco (Mike Cole) was elected chair
- Axel Ohmstede is the new vice-chair
- We had 10 committee members and 2 board members attend the last committee meeting with many new members
- We are working on what firearm rules and exceptions to propose to the BoD
- We changed the scope of the committee to include all weapons and armor
- It is now called Hatcher's Armory and not Hatcher's Workshop
- We are in the process of planning many classes
- Science Committee
- Software Development Committee
- VECTOR Committee
- Several project items are about to leave and we have some new projects about to take their place.
- About to purchase a bunch of tools to finally have a comprehensive set of tools needed for working on games.
- Construction of first custom from scratch pinball machine is about to begin. It will be a head-to-head two player pinball. Will likely organize some classes around the development process and talk about the hardware, construction and programming of a pinball machine.
- Weekly one-on-one training continues as I continue to work our way through the Dolly Parton pin with Kelly.
- In process of planning out several new classes on basic electronics, soldering, multimeter usage, vacuum tubes, etc.
- Vintage Computer Committee
- Wood Shop Committee
Note: The normal cut-off time for agenda items is the Sunday prior at 11:59pm.
Quorum of Members Discussion (Mike Cole "Draco")
Problem: As the membership grows, it will become more difficult to gain a quorum of members at membership meetings. This is an issue because it does not allow the bylaws to change or be changed. It also limits the checks and balances allowed in the spirit of the current bylaws.
In the past, we have solved this problem by limiting the quorum requirement to a subset of members that have obtained voting rights. As we grow, we have seen a greater number of people signing up to vote for online elections for the board of directors. This is good that there are many willing to vote, however, it limits what can be done in the in-person meetings where we can take other actions such as changing of the bylaws.
As of writing this, there are 266 voting members. To change the bylaws it requires two-thirds of that number or 178 of the voting members present at a meeting.
I want to have a discussion around this topic to find a solution and to allow the power of the membership to come back into alignment with the spirit of the bylaws and Dallas Makerspace.