Committees are voluntary groups, formed by members in order to achieve certain goals.
To join this committee, contact the committee chairperson. See Rules and Policies#Committees for more information.
Educate and promote automotive knowledge and car culture, by facilitating both a safe place to work on vehicles and organizing projects, events, and classes related to vehicles and motorsports.
You can view a webcam view of the auto area at dallas.ms/auto
The automotive rules are guided by two simple principles, be excellent to each other and be safe.
We have limited space and resources, so while working on vehicles in any capacity is encouraged in the automotive area, remember that you are sharing that space with hundreds of other DMS members. So don't do things like leave a vehicle blocking others while you aren't there, don't leave any mess especially one that creates a safety hazard, etc.
- No vehicles left inside unattended for any significant amount of time. (quicks parts run or food ok, hours of time or sleeping not ok)
- No loading / unloading in the automotive area when a vehicle is being worked on, instead use loading dock or stop on ramp. It is incredibly dangerous to have vehicles maneuvering around other vehicles while people are working under them.
- There are two bays, pull into the auto area completely as to not block the door or walkways.
- No obviously disabled vehicles left in the parking lot.
- No leaving used fluids on premises. You are expected to have a container to take your fluids with you when done and dispose of them properly*.
- Precautions (drip pans, cardboard, plywood) must be used to prevent fluids from leaking onto the floor.
- All messes/spills must be cleaned up immediately. Using oil absorbent to remove any oils from the floor.
- Tools must be returned to their proper place. If you don’t know where that is, ask someone.
- Idling motors indoors is prohibited. Motors may only be run just long enough to move a vehicle while a bay door is open.
- Use of jack stands required when working underneath a car.
- Vehicles must have insurance (if applicable) and the vehicle owner must be present at all times.
- While working with and helping others is encouraged, we do not allow members to work on vehicles in exchange for money or other services.
- The vehicle owner is responsible for any and all repairs done to their vehicle.
- Anyone violating these rules will be prohibited from doing any automotive work for 30 days. Repeat offenders will be considered for expulsion from the Makerspace.
- Only DMS trained and authorized operators allowed
- Only operator’s personally owned vehicle may be placed on lift
- Use at your own risk, DMS not responsible for any damage you do to your own property
- Maximum curb weight 6,000 pounds
- Video surveillance in use, unauthorized or unsafe lift operation will result in banishment from DMS
- Chuck Graf, Tom Tansey, Patrick Thompson, Zach Metzinger are the individuals who can provide clearance to use the lift. Please do not use it unless you have been cleared by one of these gentlemen and added to the list.
* Used oil and filters can be taken to many auto parts stores where you initially bought the oil (reuse the containers the new oil came in), such as: AutoZone Orielly Autoparts There are also county hazardous chemicals disposal centers that are typically free to use if you live in that area, such as: Dallas County Home Chemical Collection Center Tarrant County Environmental Collection Center Your local city might also offer curb side hazardous pickup, inquire with you local city waste services.
Benevolent dictatorship, without objection as of August 1, 2013.
Brandon Green is currently the Chair of this committee. No formal joining of the committee is required, any members is free to help with any projects or use our available tools (in accordance to the rules).
Discussions are held via the talk.dallasmakerspace.org site. To sign up for notifications on Automotive tagged posts:
- Sign in with an account
- Scroll through posts until you see an Automotive tag(green box) on a post, click on the green box
- In the upper right corner of the screen there is a circle icon and dropdown, click the dropdown
- Select Watching from the dropdown so you will get notifications on posts
See 1997 Nissan Maxima.