Committees are voluntary groups, formed by members in order to achieve certain goals.
To join this committee, contact the committee chairperson. See Rules and Policies#Committees for more information.
- 1 Purpose
- 2 Age Requirements
- 3 Cameras
- 4 Consumables Cost and Payment link
- 5 Equipment
- 6 Training
- 7 Approved Trained Users
- 8 Members-Talk username
- 9 Things to Do
- 10 Things to Purchase/Fabricate
- 11 Things recently done/purchased
- 12 Metal Suppliers
- 13 How to Contact
To further your goals on metal working such as various welding techniques, metal cutting, forming, and other skills necessary for safe fabrication in various metals.
Governance and Meetings
The committee routinely meets monthly, meetings will be posted on the calendar. While no formal agenda needs to be posted, advance notice of large purchases or other actionable items that will require full committee vote to approve should be brought to the chair and/or vice chair with ample lead time for research and questions (48 hours or more is a good rule of thumb).
These guide is intended to supplement those posted on the wall in the metal shop, and are applicable at all times, for all equipment:
- Arguing about any safety complaints is grounds for removal from the metal shop. If a safety issue is brought up, regardless of if the member agrees with it, stop and evaluate
- All members are permitted to enforce rules within the metal shop. All members may have a member removed from the room for failure to comply with safety requirements after a warning
- No Galvanized metal, particularly on welding and plasma cutting equipment or in the scrap bin
- No Zinc plated metal, particularly on the welding and plasma cutting equipment or in the scrap bin
- No combustible metals (e.g. titanium, magnesium) are allowed, particularly on the welding and plasma equipment (see Metal Shop chair if you think you should be granted an exception for Titanium work)
- No working on pressurized, or formerly pressurized containers (no "freon" (refrigerant) tanks, no hairspray cans, no propane tanks, etc.)
- No working on vessels which contain, or may have contained, hazardous chemicals (e.g. no motorcycle gas tanks, no "jerrycans", no R12 tanks, no R22 tanks, etc.)
- Gloves are not permitted when hands are within 6 inches of bench grinders and sanders. If working with smaller parts, use pliers or remove the gloves
- Tools must be re-locked, where applicable, once use is completed
- Machines must be de-energized when unattended
- All messes must be cleaned up. It does not matter if the person before you left a tool messy, you must clean the tool if you use it.
Minimum age to use any equipment in the Metal Shop, except the hot processes, is 16 years old unless noted otherwise on the tool's page, or with special dispensation from the current Metal Shop chair.
Minimum age to use hot process tools (welder/plasma) is:
- Unsupervised: 18 years old
- With Parent or Guardian: 16 years old and requires full-time supervision by a parent who has been trained on that tool.
- Special permission from the current Metal Shop chair and full-time supervision by a parent who is trained on that tool is required for anyone younger than 16 years.
- MIG Welding has a usage cost (for consumables). MIG cost is $1 per 3 minutes of arc time.
- Other welding has no cost because users provide their own consumables.
This price is accurate as of 11/3/2021. In the case of a discrepancy, a price posted in the committee area is the governing price.
Payment is required at the time of use. If you've forgotten to pay onsite or you want to make a donation, you can pay by following this link to PayPal
Please see the Welding page.
CNC Plasma Cutter
Please see the CNC_Plasma_Cutter_Training page.
Please see the Metal Shop Tools page.
Training is required for the welding and CNC plasma-cutter equipment. Training is not required for other equipment, but we do expect you to seek assistance and/or attend training classes as needed for the safety of all building occupants.
Hot Processes Safety Slide-deck
Approved Trained Users
These lists are only visible inside Dallas Makerspace.
CNC Plasma Users
MIG Welding Users
TIG Welding Users
- Randy Lisbona @rlisbona -- Chair
- Tim Bene @tbjk -- Vice Chair
- Max Holthaus @mrholthaus -- Vice Chair
- Charles Proctor @procterc
- Jim Kreter @MTLmanglr
- Chuck Graf @DallasMagna
- D Cheng
- Adrian Valdes
- Alex Rhodes
- Andrew Spencer @Jast
- Andrew Floyd
- Carey Ritchey
- Chetan Raj
- Chris W
- Danny Meeks
- David Kessinger @photomancer
- Ed Kim
- Frank Clausen
- Ken Purcell
- Lee Jones
- Trent Campbell
- Zach Metzinger @Zmetzing
- Brady Pamplin @bpamplin
- Freddy Calvert @yashsedai
- Shay Galland @barkingchicken
Things to Do
- Create a "chores" page for ongoing/periodic needs
- Add clarified information/signage to machines/equipment (indicate when training needed)
- Update Wiki with information about how to use machines/equipment
Things to Purchase/Fabricate
- Parts jig for large oven
- More dies, set screws for small tubing roller (<= 2" pipe)
- Better materials storage
Things recently done/purchased
- Metal shear installed
- Metal box/pan brake installed
- Slip roller installed
- Cold Saw (Discussion) (technically Machine Shop, but they share!)
How to Contact
The best way to contact Metal Shop members is to hang out in Metal Shop. Electronically, please Use Talk for communication. (see talk @addresses in committee member list above) All pages related to the Metal Shop Committee.
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Metal Shop
Pages in category "Metal Shop"
The following 7 pages are in this category, out of 7 total.
Media in category "Metal Shop"
The following 49 files are in this category, out of 49 total.
- 008 Black and Decker Jig saw.jpg 4,128 × 2,322; 2.24 MB
- 013 Miller syncrowave 250.jpg 2,322 × 4,128; 3.75 MB
- 014 Miller syncrowave 351.jpg 2,322 × 4,128; 3.69 MB
- 016 Miller Millermatic 252.jpg 2,322 × 4,128; 1.99 MB
- 018 Chicago elec spot.jpg 4,128 × 2,322; 2.99 MB
- 022 Supplies cab.jpg 2,322 × 4,128; 2.13 MB
- 024 Toolbox.jpg 2,322 × 4,128; 2.73 MB
- 033 Miller Spectrum 300 Plasma cutter.jpg 4,128 × 2,322; 1.78 MB
- 142329.pdf ; 688 KB
- 3 phase to split phase pigtail for welders and machinery lives in special use cabinet.jpg 3,024 × 4,032; 2.83 MB
- Baileigh Shrinker Stretcher.jpg 3,024 × 4,032; 3.46 MB
- Comittee and teaching cabinet.jpg 3,024 × 4,032; 3.63 MB
- Corded grinders in drawer.jpg 3,024 × 4,032; 3.11 MB
- Cordless grinders at home.jpg 4,032 × 3,024; 2.74 MB
- Corner notcher.jpeg 3,024 × 4,032; 1.83 MB
- Delta 8 inch Grinder.jpg 3,024 × 4,032; 3.74 MB
- Dynatorch and Computer.jpg 4,032 × 3,024; 3.43 MB
- Dynatorch Computer Crash Cart.jpg 3,024 × 4,032; 3.86 MB
- Dynatorch opt1.pdf ; 1.24 MB
- Flammables Cabinet Powder Scale and Shop Logo.jpg 3,024 × 4,032; 3.26 MB
- Foot-shear-sf5216e.jpg 1,000 × 751; 108 KB
- Front shelves.jpg 4,032 × 3,024; 3.12 MB
- Front tool chest.jpg 4,032 × 3,024; 3.61 MB
- Heat Treating Kiln.jpg 3,015 × 2,673; 2.17 MB
- Hypertherm Powermax 85 for Dynatorch.jpg 3,024 × 4,032; 3.29 MB
- Ironton 8 inch grinder out of service.jpg 3,024 × 4,032; 3.61 MB
- Ironton 8 inch grinder used for wire and buffing.jpg 3,024 × 4,032; 3.68 MB
- Large Disc Sander.jpg 3,024 × 4,032; 3.43 MB
- Large oven.jpg 3,024 × 4,032; 3.4 MB
- Lincoln TIG 200, stick and flux units.jpg 4,032 × 3,024; 3.66 MB
- MetalShopHorizontalBandsaw.jpg 489 × 869; 96 KB
- Miller Spot Welder.jpg 3,024 × 4,032; 2.14 MB
- Millermatic 252 MIG and Miller Synchrowave 250.jpg 4,032 × 3,024; 3.47 MB
- Milwaukee Battery Station and Batteries.jpg 4,032 × 3,024; 3.62 MB
- Milwaukee Cordless Grinder.jpg 4,032 × 3,024; 2.96 MB
- Milwaukee Portaband saw.jpg 4,032 × 3,024; 3.61 MB
- Odd angle magnet.jpg 3,024 × 4,032; 3.39 MB
- OxyAcetyleneStartupShutdown.pdf ; 64 KB
- Round tube tab magnet.jpg 4,032 × 3,024; 3.58 MB
- Special Use Cabinet Members Ask Committee for Access.jpg 3,024 × 4,032; 3.23 MB
- Swag Off-Road Press Brake and Tubing Bender Dies in Special Use Cabinet.jpg 4,032 × 3,024; 3.77 MB
- Temporary welding curatins.jpg 3,024 × 4,032; 3.17 MB
- Tubing Bender Loan from Tim.jpg 4,032 × 3,024; 3.4 MB
- Vapor Hone Media Blaster.jpg 3,024 × 4,032; 3.27 MB
- Various magnets and their home in welding bay.jpg 4,032 × 3,024; 3.28 MB
- Water Buffalo with Milwaukee Transfer Pump.jpg 3,024 × 4,032; 3.31 MB
- Welding Bay Tool Chest.jpg 4,032 × 3,024; 3.31 MB