Metal Shop Committee
Committees are voluntary groups, formed by members in order to achieve certain goals.
To join this committee, contact the committee chairperson. See Rules and Policies#Committees for more information.
- 1 Purpose
- 2 Age Requirements
- 3 Cameras
- 4 Equipment
- 5 Training
- 6 Approved Trained Users
- 7 Members-Talk username
- 8 Things to Do
- 9 Things to Purchase/Fabricate
- 10 Things recently done/purchased
- 11 Metal Suppliers
- 12 How to Contact
To further your goals on metal working, such as various welding techniques, metal cutting, forming, and other skills necessary for safe fabrication in various metals.
Minimum age to use any equipment in the Metal Shop, except the hot processes, is 16 years old unless noted otherwise on the tool's page, or with special dispensation from the current Metal Shop chair.
Minimum age to use hot process tools (welder/plasma) is:
- Unsupervised: 18 years old
- With Parent or Guardian: 16 years old and requires full-time supervision by a parent who has been trained on that tool.
- Special permission from the current Metal Shop chair and full-time supervision by a parent who is trained on that tool is required for anyone younger than 16 years.
Please see the Welding page.
CNC Plasma Cutter
Please see the CNC_Plasma_Cutter_Training page.
Please see the Metal Shop Tools page.
Training is required for the welding and CNC plasma-cutter equipment. Training is not required for other equipment, but we do expect you to seek assistance and/or attend training classes as needed for the safety of all building occupants.
Approved Trained Users
These lists are only visible inside Dallas Makerspace.
CNC Plasma Users
MIG Welding Users
TIG Welding Users
- Jim Hartnett @hon1nbo
- Chuck Graf @DallasMagna
- D Cheng
- Adrian Valdes
- Alex Rhodes
- Andrew Spencer @Jast
- Andrew Floyd
- Carey Ritchey
- Chetan Raj
- Chris W
- Danny Meeks
- David Kessinger @photomancer
- Ed Kim
- Frank Clausen
- Ken Purcell
- Lee Jones
- Tim Bene @tbjk
- Tom Cook
- Trent Campbell
- Zach Metzinger @Zmetzing
- Brady Pamplin @bpamplin
Things to Do
- Repair Miller 251 (coolant pump flow is low; need to figure out why and repair).
- Create a "chores" page for ongoing/periodic needs
- Tidy up grinder stands
- Create metal frame, shelves, and part jig for the Large Oven
- Add clarified information/signage to machines/equipment (indicate when training needed)
- Update Wiki with information about how to use machines/equipment
- Schedule monthly shop cleaning days
- Create Long-term (1 year) plan and share
Things to Purchase/Fabricate
- Dry Saw (Discussion)
- Dedicated Plasma Cutter
- Large Tubing/Pipe bender (>2" pipe)
- More dies, set screws for small tubing roller (<= 2" pipe)
Things recently done/purchased
Miller 251 coolant pump repairednot so fast! It's only partially repaired.
- Metal shear installed
- Metal box/pan brake installed
- Slip roller installed
- Cold Saw (Discussion) (technically Machine Shop, but they share!)
How to Contact
The best way to contact Metal Shop members is to hang out in Metal Shop. Electronically, please Use Talk for communication. (see talk @addresses in committee member list above)