Committees are voluntary groups, formed by members in order to achieve certain goals.
To join this committee, contact the committee chairperson. See Rules and Policies#Committees for more information.
- 1 Purpose
- 2 Blanket Rules
- 3 Age Requirements
- 4 Cameras
- 5 Equipment
- 6 Training
- 7 Approved Trained Users
- 8 Members-Talk username
- 9 Things to Do
- 10 Things to Purchase/Fabricate
- 11 Things recently done/purchased
- 12 Metal Suppliers
- 13 How to Contact
To further your goals on metal working, such as various welding techniques, metal cutting, forming, and other skills necessary for safe fabrication in various metals.
Governance and Meetings
The committee routinely meets on the first Saturday of each month at noon in the Metal Shop. Meetings will be posted on the calendar. While no formal agenda needs to be posted, advance notice of large purchases or other actionable items that will require full committee vote to approve should be brought to the chair and/or vice chair with ample lead time for research and questions (48 hours or more is a good rule of thumb).
These guide is intended to supplement those posted on the wall in the metal shop, and are applicable at all times, for all equipment:
- No Galvanized metal, particularly on welding and plasma cutting equipment
- No Zinc plated metal, particularly on the welding and plasma cutting equipment
- No combustible metals (e.g. titanium, magnesium) are allowed, particularly on the welding and plasma equipment (see Metal Shop chair if you think you should be granted an exception for TI work)
- No working on pressurized, or formerly pressurized containers (no "freon" (refrigerant) tanks, no hairspray cans, no propane tanks, etc.)
- No working on vessels which contain, or may have contained, chemicals (e.g. no motorcycle gas tanks, no "jerrycans", no R12 tanks, no R22 tanks, etc.)
Minimum age to use any equipment in the Metal Shop, except the hot processes, is 16 years old unless noted otherwise on the tool's page, or with special dispensation from the current Metal Shop chair.
Minimum age to use hot process tools (welder/plasma) is:
- Unsupervised: 18 years old
- With Parent or Guardian: 16 years old and requires full-time supervision by a parent who has been trained on that tool.
- Special permission from the current Metal Shop chair and full-time supervision by a parent who is trained on that tool is required for anyone younger than 16 years.
Please see the Welding page.
CNC Plasma Cutter
Please see the CNC_Plasma_Cutter_Training page.
Please see the Metal Shop Tools page.
Training is required for the welding and CNC plasma-cutter equipment. Training is not required for other equipment, but we do expect you to seek assistance and/or attend training classes as needed for the safety of all building occupants.
Hot Processes Safety Slidedeck
Approved Trained Users
These lists are only visible inside Dallas Makerspace.
CNC Plasma Users
MIG Welding Users
TIG Welding Users
- Jim Hartnett @hon1nbo -- Chair
- Chuck Graf @DallasMagna
- D Cheng
- Adrian Valdes
- Alex Rhodes
- Andrew Spencer @Jast
- Andrew Floyd
- Carey Ritchey
- Chetan Raj
- Chris W
- Danny Meeks
- David Kessinger @photomancer
- Ed Kim
- Frank Clausen
- Ken Purcell
- Lee Jones
- Tim Bene @tbjk -- Vice Chair
- Tom Cook
- Trent Campbell
- Zach Metzinger @Zmetzing
- Brady Pamplin @bpamplin
- Freddy Calvert @yashsedai
Things to Do
- Repair Miller 251 (coolant pump flow is low; need to figure out why and repair).
- Create a "chores" page for ongoing/periodic needs
- Tidy up grinder stands
- Create metal frame, shelves, and part jig for the Large Oven
- Add clarified information/signage to machines/equipment (indicate when training needed)
- Update Wiki with information about how to use machines/equipment
- Schedule monthly shop cleaning days
- Create Long-term (1 year) plan and share
Things to Purchase/Fabricate
- Dry Saw (Discussion)
- Dedicated Plasma Cutter
- Large Tubing/Pipe bender (>2" pipe)
- More dies, set screws for small tubing roller (<= 2" pipe)
Things recently done/purchased
Miller 251 coolant pump repairednot so fast! It's only partially repaired.
- Metal shear installed
- Metal box/pan brake installed
- Slip roller installed
- Cold Saw (Discussion) (technically Machine Shop, but they share!)
How to Contact
The best way to contact Metal Shop members is to hang out in Metal Shop. Electronically, please Use Talk for communication. (see talk @addresses in committee member list above) All pages related to the Metal Shop Committee.
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Metal Shop
Pages in category "Metal Shop"
The following 5 pages are in this category, out of 5 total.
Media in category "Metal Shop"
The following 14 files are in this category, out of 14 total.
- 008 Black and Decker Jig saw.jpg 4,128 × 2,322; 2.24 MB
- 013 Miller syncrowave 250.jpg 2,322 × 4,128; 3.75 MB
- 014 Miller syncrowave 351.jpg 2,322 × 4,128; 3.69 MB
- 016 Miller Millermatic 252.jpg 2,322 × 4,128; 1.99 MB
- 018 Chicago elec spot.jpg 4,128 × 2,322; 2.99 MB
- 022 Supplies cab.jpg 2,322 × 4,128; 2.13 MB
- 024 Toolbox.jpg 2,322 × 4,128; 2.73 MB
- 033 Miller Spectrum 300 Plasma cutter.jpg 4,128 × 2,322; 1.78 MB
- Corner notcher.jpeg 3,024 × 4,032; 1.83 MB
- Dynatorch opt1.pdf ; 1.24 MB
- MetalShopHorizontalBandsaw.jpg 489 × 869; 96 KB
- OxyAcetyleneStartupShutdown.pdf ; 64 KB