Metal Shop Committee
Committees are voluntary groups, formed by members in order to achieve certain goals.
To join this committee, contact the committee chairperson. See Rules and Policies#Committees for more information.
- 1 Purpose
- 2 Age Requirements
- 3 Cameras
- 4 Equipment
- 5 Training
- 6 Approved Trained Users
- 7 Members-Talk username
- 8 Things to Do
- 9 Things to Purchase/Fabricate
- 10 Things recently done/purchased
- 11 Metal Suppliers
- 12 How to Contact
To further our goals on metal working, such as various welding techniques, metal cutting, forming, and other skills necessary for safe fabrication in various metals.
Minimum age to use any equipment in the Metal Shop is 18 years old, unless noted otherwise on the tool's page, or with special dispensation from the current Metal Shop chair.
Please see the Welding page.
Please see the CNC_Plasma_Cutter_Training page.
Please see the Metal Shop Tools page.
Training is required for the welding and CNC plasma-cutter equipment. Training is not required for other equipment, but we do expect you to seek assistance and/or attend training classes as needed for the safety of all building occupants.
Approved Trained Users
These lists are only visible inside Dallas Makerspace.
CNC Plasma Users
MIG Welding Users
TIG Welding Users
- Chuck Graf @DallasMagna (Chair -- BOD approval 4/2016)
- D Cheng
- Adrian Valdes
- Alex Rhodes
- Andrew Spencer @Jast
- Andrew Floyd
- Carey Ritchey
- Chetan Raj
- Chris W
- Danny Meeks
- David Kessinger
- Ed Kim
- Ken Purcell
- Lee Jones
- Tim Bene @tbjk
- Tom Cook
- Trent Campbell
- Zach Metzinger @Zmetzing
- Brady Pamplin @bpamplin
Things to Do
- Repair Miller 351 A/C mode (for Aluminum) sputtering. Suspect spark gap needs addressed. Works great for steel, though!
- Repair Miller 251 (coolant pump flow is low; need to figure out why and repair).
- Create a "chores" page for ongoing/periodic needs
- Fix Drill Press motor/remove Ryobi
- Replace broken bench grinder/buy stands
- Add information/signage to machines/equipment (indicate when training needed)
- Update Wiki with information about how to use machines/equipment
- Schedule monthly shop cleaning days
- Create Long-term (1 year) plan and share
Things to Purchase/Fabricate
- Dry Saw (Discussion)
- Dedicated Plasma Cutter
- Large Tubing/Pipe bender (>2" pipe)
- More dies, set screws for small tubing roller (<= 2" pipe)
Things recently done/purchased
Miller 251 coolant pump repairednot so fast! It's only partially repaired.
- Metal shear installed
- Metal box/pan brake installed
- Slip roller installed
- Cold Saw (Discussion) (technically Machine Shop, but they share!)
How to Contact
The best way to contact Metal Shop members is to hang out in Metal Shop. Electronically, please Use Talk for communication. (see talk @addresses in committee member list above)