Regular Member Meeting 20160714
This meeting will be held in MIBS SRC3 format.
20:00, Dallas Makerspace
Approval of prior minutes
Committee chairs are requested to provide their reports in writing. Reports can be short bullet-points.
- 3d Fabrication Committee
- Automotive Committee
- Paul Haney will be giving lecture on how tires work next week, Wednesday 20th, 7:30pm - 8:30pm
- Auto organization / work day this Saturday 16th, starting at 1:00pm. Will be replacing / reorganizing the shelving. Any help would be appreciated, just show up at any time.
- 240sx build nights will be continuing next week, will be pulling engine out to rebuild the bottom end. Replacing bearings and pistons over the next couple weeks. Anyone who would like to participate is welcome to attend, more details will be posted on talk thread
- Blacksmith Committee
- Civic Hacking
- Coordinating with Science to engage in field research and analysis
- Classroom Committee
- Honorarium and scheduling system has gone live
- Note that there are some bugs to be worked out...
- Creative Arts Committee
- Digital Media Committee
- New lapel mic
- Electronics Robotics Committee
- Art and volunteers have started the process of going through the equipment on the metal shelves. We identified two devices that were not working (Fluke bench multimeter and a B&K analog scope) that weren't worth repairing, so they were put on the donation shelf and disappeared quickly. On a related note, please don't migrate these back to electronics and leave them their in a non-working condition!
- We looked at the TDS460 and it is reporting some errors on power up self-test. @richmeyer has taken this scope and believes he may be able to get it working again for Electronics. The Tektronixs 460? has a bad rotary switch but is otherwise functional. Discussions on repair are ongoing. Several other items are in need of minor repair with folks being identified to take care of the repairs.
- Purchasing is about to be done. We are preparing to order two more Rigol Scopes w/ serial protocol analyzers, two more of the Atten Signal Generators, and means of locking these to the benches. We are also preparing to order locking devices to keep these locked to the assigned benches as well as allow for the secure deployment of the NI virtual bench. The computer to be used with the virtual bench needs to be reimaged and software reinstalled, but should be okay for immediate use. Recommend not plugging in your usb drive into E Lab pc for now.
- I have placed order with techedu.com for E Lab equipment including 2x Rigol scopes w/ serial analyzer sftwr. Techedu.com offers educational discounts and DMS qualifies. We are working on standardizing 3 lab benches w/ similar equipment. The 4th bench will have the NI virtual bench. Looking into ways to mark/paint lab gear so it's easily recognized. Bench test equipment will be tethered to the bench. Starting to sort through/organize parts. Slow steady progress forward.
- Financial Committee
- Outsourcing of books to PSK to begin soon
- July monthly board meeting will have $8013.79 to spend
- Foundry Committee
- Infrastructure Committee
- New cameras are being installed
- New wire has been run for the ramp RFID reader; assistance is necessary to complete the run so it can be (re)activated
- Jewelry and Small Metals Committee
- Laser Committee
- New tube has been ordered for the Lasersaur - possible installation within the next week
- Logistics Committee
- July offsite cycle was completed in record time thanks to the help of numerous volunteers!
- LED Lighting initiative
- LED fluorescent tube replacements have been installed in the Electronics Lab - please check them out and let us know what you think of them
- If the E-Lab pilot is successful, Logistics will begin replacing T12 fixtures with LED - which will save DMS money over our previous strategy of upgrading to T8 fixtures in less than a year
- Machine Shop Committee
- Metal Shop Committee
- Public Relations Committee
- Reloading and Gunsmithing Committee
- Remote Control Committee
- Science Committee
- Thanks to all the volunteers that helped install the vent hood
- Working with a professional engineer to design ductwork for the vent hood and get city approvals
- VECTOR Committee
- Science On Tap - Fort Worth Museum of Science - Friday, July 22nd from 6pm-10pm and Saturday all day and evening. VECTOR will be promoting the Dallas Makerspace and the Texas Pinball Festival. C'mon out for drinks, geek hobnobbing, and of course pinball and some rarely-seen arcade games.
- Wood Shop Committee
Note: The normal cut-off time for agenda items is the Sunday prior at 11:59pm.
20:05 Meeting called to order and immediately adjourned: -No business items on the meeting agenda -Quorum is not met An informal meeting was then conducted with updates from Committees as noted in the agenda