Regular Member Meeting 20140109

From Dallas Makerspace
Jump to: navigation, search

This meeting will be held in MIBS SRC3 format.

Time, location

20:00, Dallas Makerspace

Approval of prior minutes

Prior minutes

Officer/Committee reports

Committee chairs are requested to provide their reports in writing. Reports can be short bullet-points.


  • 2013 was a great year, we have gained members and tools at an awesome pace.
  • New space search is still ongoing, please check out New Space Search 2013-14 and help fill out requirements.
  • Committee chair renewals will happen at the next board meeting (Feb 9th), committees are urged to discuss/vote and let us know who they would like to lead them.
  • Board of Directors election will likely be in March, turn in your Statement of Intent now!


Powerpoint presentation: media:Dec_finances.pdf

Committee Chairs

  • 3d Fabrication Committee - Andrew Falgout
    • Prisma has been moved back into the 3d fab room, calibration is still needed
    • PolyPrinters have been having breaking more than usual, training class materials will be created before next meeting in the form of documents for the membership to look over. A safety class will be done after that by Andrew Falgout. The intent is for this class to be recorded so people can view it at will.
  • Amateur Radio Committee - Pat Hykkonen
  • Aerospace Committee - Romeo Espana
  • Automotive Committee - Luke Olson
    • 24 Hours of Lemons team application accepted by the race coordinators
    • Lots left to do to participate in the race in March (raise funds, obtain vehicle, install safety equipment)
    • Chuck Graff has been leading the Lemons race efforts and submitted the team application
    • Allen Wan offered to oversee paperwork for two vehicle donations
    • Auto area and tools have been used frequently by members
  • Bio Committee - Andrew Floyd
    • Cleaning up tank and preparing to grow my own spirulina algae to the point where the culture can be replicated.
    • We have two fruiting bags of Blue Oyster Mushrooms with Reishi mushrooms being shipped us from Basidia Mushrooms of North Carolina. Training for mushroom cultivation will be forthcoming.
    • Opening dialogue with Plano Hackerspace brewmaster.
  • Civic Hacking - Steve Rainwater
    • We'll be doing a monthly meetup at the space (specifics on the calendar soon). At the January meeting we plan to select projects to work on in 2014. We will also continue our efforts to coordinate the DMS civic hacking group with other regional civic hacking groups.
  • Classroom Committee - John Fields
    • Preparing to change Chairperson, John needs a sabatical (for work stuff :/ )
  • Creative Arts Committee - Dawn Ellis
  • Electronics Robotics Committee - Daniel Jackson
    • Nothing to report.
  • Financial Committee - Paul Brown
  • Foundry Committee - John Kuhlenschmidt
  • Laser Committee - William Petefish
    • We have the laser back to normal after it's little fire. A reminder: Don't leave the laser unattended while rastering or cutting.
    • We are looking at options for a second laser. When we are satisfied on the choice we will make a purchase recommendation to the board. It will probably be a smaller model and be similar to the Gen4 Hobby laser. We also haven't ruled out the possibility of getting a chinese laser and doing some conversion work with a smoothieboard/RAMPS/other electronics of our choosing.
    • We now have a CO2 tank. Use it for fire suppression only for right now.
  • LifeMakers Committee - Lisa Selk
    • LifeMakers will be regrouping/reorganizing in February. John G indicated he knows someone who may be interested in taking over as Chairperson. We will have more details before the next board meeting on February 9th.
  • Operations and Facilities Committee - Andrew LeCody
    • Acquiring additional first aid kits (better ones) and fire extinguishers.
    • Coordinated with Workshop Committee and Foundry Committee to find space for the new mill.
    • The Freebie/Donation Shelf is back, Lisa Selk is in charge of making sure it gets cleared out regularly.
  • Photography Lab (Darkroom Committee) - Nicole LeCody
    • Foto Friday this week - Nicole will be developing color film onsite.
    • Will begin scheduling and planning for photo events for 2014
    • there is a photography mailing list. Email Nicole LeCody, ngreeley01 at gmail, to be added to the list.
    • If you have suggestions for events, demos, or classes please email them to Nicole
  • Public Relations Committee - Cone Johnson
  • Workshop Committee - Greg Needel


Note: The normal cut-off time for agenda items is the Sunday prior at 11:59pm.

Old business

New business

Discussion Items

Items that were not added prior to the lockout can be posted here for discussion and consensus building at the meeting.

Wide Format Printer Ink (Steve Reeves)

I would like to propose to authorize up to $1,250 for the purposes of purchasing ink, paper and refilling supplies for the Epson Pro 7880 24" wide printer that was donated to DMS by the Creative Art Center of Dallas. I can make the initial purchases through Adorama and InkjetMall and provide full receipts so long as reimbursement is made in full within 30 days.

Members Running Meetings (Pearce Dunlap)

Problem: Attempting to change who will be running the membership meeting on short notice (the day of if not less than 8-10 hours before) has become an issue.

Solution: It has been offered to allow a non-board member to run the membership meeting. If a member would like to run the next membership meeting they should ask to do so by placing it on the agenda, preferably in the "New items" section or in the "Discussion Items" if they missed the deadline.

Example: During the 2/13/14 meeting Tyler D. adds "I would like to run the 3/13/14 membership meeting." If no one objects then Tyler D. gets to run the meeting.


20140109 1937
Social meeting

2012 Andrew L explaining the meeting.
2025 Committee reports
2050 Minutes pass by consensus
2051 Discussion items
 Wide Format Printer Ink (Steve Reeves)
 Members Running Meetings (Pearce Dunlap)
2131 Andrew L adjourns meeting

Audio Recording