Wood Shop Committee
Committees are voluntary groups, formed by members in order to achieve certain goals.
To join this committee, contact the committee chairperson. See Rules and Policies#Committees for more information.
- 1 Purpose
- 2 Tools
- 3 Purchasing and Maintenance
- 4 Woodshop Committee Rules
- 5 How To Join
- 6 Members
- 7 Discussion
- 8 Current Projects
- 9 Future Projects
- 10 Completed Projects
- 11 Inactive or Decommissioned Projects
The Wood Shop is one of the most active and popular shops at the Makerspace.
The Wood Shop Committee's responsibilities are to:
- Establish safety guidelines for woodworking and use of power tools.
- Create necessary training materials and certifications that allow makers to effectively and safely use the various pieces of equipment in the Wood Shop.
- Maintain the order, organization, safety, cleanliness, and utility of the Wood Shop.
- Woodshop Basics is required for use of most of the power tools in the Woodshop.
- A Lathe Basics class is required to use the wood lathes.
- The Basic CNC Router Course and passage of the associated test, is required to use the Multicam Router.
See the Calendar for scheduled woodshop classes.
Purchasing and Maintenance
Requests for new or replacement tools, routine supplies (like sandpaper), or repair parts, for the Woodshop. Please use the below form, and place in the folder on the desk near the woodshop door, or email the completed form to [email protected] for processing. All requests must be approved by the Woodshop Chairman prior to purchase.
Maintenance of the Woodshop tooling is performed by volunteer members of the Shop. If you become aware of a tool needing replacement, please submit a purchase request, or post the need to the Dallas Makerspace "Talk" forum.
The following is the routine maintenance schedule for the Woodshop. Please lend a hand, and volunteer to perform one or more of these tasks if you can.
(*list coming soon*)
Woodshop Committee Rules
Posted 25 Jan 2016 with approval from Woodshop Chair (Tom Cook). Rules to be discussed, modified, and/or ratified at 23 Feb 2016 Committee meeting.
1. Committee Meetings
a. The Chairman of the Woodshop Committee, with 7 days prior notice, may call a meeting of the committee, for any purpose. Notice must be posted to the event calendar, and by conspicuously placing a printed notice within the Woodshop itself.
b. Three voting members of the Committee, with 7 days prior notice, may call a meeting of the committee, for any purpose. Notice must be posted to the event calendar, and by conspicuously placing a printed notice within the Woodshop itself.====
a. The Committee Chairman is responsible for defining the agenda of each Woodshop Committee meeting, and said agenda must be available to members at the start of the meeting.
b. The Chair may maintain good order in committee meetings by invoking a floor rule, during which only members officially recognized by the Chairman may "have the floor" and speak. The Chairman may, at his or her discretion, eject attendees who refuse to respect the floor rule.
c. The Chairman shall make every effort to provide fair opportunity for all committee members to speak during times when the floor rule is invoked. However, the Chairman shall not give the floor to any individual member more than twice during discussion of any single issue.
3. Committee Membership
Any member in good standing of the Dallas makerspace may join the Woodshop committee at any time. Members must send an email to [email protected] so that their name may be added to the Membership list.
a. Any voting member may move for a vote, on any germaine subject, during any official Woodshop Committee meeting. If the vote is seconded my another voting member, a vote shall be called, with a simple majority of the voting members present defining the outcome. Votes shall take force immediately upon passage.
b. The Committee Chairman may call for a vote on any germaine topic, at any time during an official meeting.
c. The standing Committee Chairman shall Grandfather existing members who have been present and voted at a minimum of two prior meetings of the woodshop committee, at the members request.
d. Proxy voting is not permitted. Only members present at the meeting may vote.
5. Committee Chairman
a. The Committee shall elect, at least once annually, a member of the Committee to perform the duties and responsibilities of Committee Chairman, on behalf of the group, who shall perform all duties as defined by the Dallas Makerspace, and by the rules and vote of the Woodshop Committee.
How To Join
- Log into your google account. (or send an e-mail to the address at the bottom of this page requesting to be added)
- Request to join the workshop mailing list by clicking HERE.
- Add your name to the Wood Shop Committee Members wiki page.
Discussions are held via Talk (online forums) and Google Hangouts. To join the Google Hangout, request to be added by sending an email to [email protected]
- Overhaul of the Dust Collection System
- Addition of new training classes for various topics in woodworking.
- Re-organization of the floor space within the shop.
- Expansion of opportunities utilizing the Wood Lathes to meet member demand