Board of Directors Meeting 20140824

From Dallas Makerspace
Jump to: navigation, search

This meeting will be held in Modified SRC3 format.

This meeting was originally on August 20th, but was rescheduled to the 24th.

Time, location

16:00, Dallas Makerspace

Prior minutes



Officer/Committee reports

  • 3d Fabrication Committee - Lisa Selk
  • Amateur Radio Committee - Benjamin Groves
  • Aerospace Committee - Romeo Espana
  • Automotive Committee - Michael Lass
  • Blacksmith Committee - John Haskins
  • Bio Committee - Andrew Floyd
  • Civic Hacking - Stephen Wylie
  • Classroom Committee - Gus Reiter
  • Creative Arts Committee - Haley Moore
  • Electronics Robotics Committee - Daniel Jackson
  • Financial Committee - Paul Brown
  • Foundry Committee - John Kuhlenschmidt
    • Having a Learning Pottery Video on Aug 30 at 11am. For more details see Events calendar or wiki Foundry Committee page
    • Created a Stained glass project shelves
    • Started working on making a parts list for venting of the kiln.
  • Laser Committee - William Petefish
    • Reminder: You don't have to join the committee to be trained on how to use the laser.
    • Reminder: Don't save your work to the desktop of the computer. It WILL be erased. Save it in the proper folder on the network drive.
    • Reminder: The laser committee does have a list. ([email protected]) USE IT if there is an issue with the laser. Don't try to repair it yourself.
    • Reminder: If YOU break the laser, let the committee know so we can fix it.
    • The laser is back up after a long hiatus.
    • We are working on 2 different fire suppression systems.
  • Machine Shop Committee - Bryan Gangwere
  • Operations and Facilities Committee - Andrew LeCody
  • Photography Lab (Darkroom Committee) - Steve Reeves
  • Public Relations Committee - Steve Blanchard
  • Workshop Committee - Chuck Graf

Consent Agenda

Newly proposed agenda items appear in the consent agenda. Any member present at the meeting may pull an item out of the consent agenda for discussion, at which point it goes under "New Business". If nobody objects to the solutions presented by the consent agenda, everything in the consent agenda passes by consensus. Items that have more than one proposed solution should be moved to the "New Business" section.

Any member may edit this wiki page and place an item on the consent agenda. However, discussion of agenda items should be done via the mailing list. The cut-off time for addition to or revision of the the agenda's items is 48 hours prior to the meeting. Please note, agenda items that request spending $250 or more must include a section on "Relevance to our tax exempt purpose".

Automotive Rules (Andrew LeCody)

Problem: Rules for use of the space in relation to automotive activities is unclear.

Solution: Implement the following rules:

  1. No vehicles shall be left inside DMS overnight. Vehicles which are disabled/nonfunctional shall be pushed outdoors. Such vehicles must be repaired and removed within seven days. The sole exception to this shall be vehicles owned by Dallas Makerspace.
  2. No obviously disassembled or disabled vehicles shall be left in the parking lot. All vehicles must be complete, closed up, and free of dangling artifacts (cables, shafts, etc.).
  3. Under no circumstances shall any vehicle be allowed to drip fluids of any kind on the premises (both indoor and out).
  4. Vehicles brought into the Space must be the property of a member, the Dallas Makerspace, or be pre-authorized donated vehicles for educational purposes. In any event the purpose for their presence in the Space shall be the education of Makers and the community.
  5. Every effort shall be made to avoid damage to the floor of the space and the parking lot surface. Any spilled fluids shall be promptly cleaned up. Protective covering shall be used under any process which could gouge, scrape, discolor or dissolve the pavement, floor or its coating.
  6. All waste fluids shall depart with the vehicle. No flammable materials shall be left overnight except for fluids installed in the vehicle, or in the flammables storage box.
  7. Anyone found violating these rules will be prohibited from doing any automotive work for 30 days. Violations during the probation period will result in termination of membership rights without refund.

Camera Testing (Andrew Falgout/Brooks Scharff)

Problem: The current security cameras we purchase cost >$90/each and provide poor quality footage at a low resolution, with a small field of view.

Solution: Authorize spending of up to $300 (includes shipping costs) for the purchase of a fisheye-lens IP camera. One of these cameras would provide full coverage of a room, possibly replacing 4 cameras if used in the warehouse. Options: or

IP Phones (Brooks Scharff)

Problem: We're using a consumer-grade phone system. Currently, this means that people that call DMS get no greeting/warning, and the phone rings for any member to pick up. Calls not answered by a human are given the option to leave a message, and no one ever gets back to them.

Solution: Authorize spending of up to $350 ($200 + shipping) for Brooks to purchase (cheap and used, but working) IP phones compatible with the phone server he has set up. If approved, every room/area at DMS would be equipped with a fully-functional IP phone capable of making (free) outgoing phone calls. Brooks will also work with Andrew LeCody et al. to come up with and record a complete IVR menu. Classes WILL be held on FreePBX and configuration of phones if there is interest.

Workshop Committee Chair (Andrew LeCody)

Problem: The current committee chair is taking a break and has stepped down.

Solution: Appoint Alex Rhodes as the Workshop Committee Chair.

Automotive Committee Chair (Andrew LeCody)

Problem: The current committee chair is taking a break and has stepped down.

Solution: Appoint Brandon Green as the Automotive Committee Chair.

DMS YouTube Incentive (David Smart)

Problem: Dallas Makerspace has not yet effectively used YouTube as a promotional or educational tool. In order to do this, we need member generated content. However, videos take significant time and effort to produce.

Solution: Provide an incentive for members to contribute, i.e. through an honorarium, bounty, or something similar.

The incentive would be priced in a similar way to class honorariums;

  • $50 goes to the committee of the producer’s choice.
  • $50, $75, or $100 goes to the producer. The dollar amount would be decided up front on a case-by-case basis as decided by the BOD. The BOD is to take into account the time commitment required to produce the video, as well as the value added to DMS.

The incentive would only apply if the following criteria are met:

  • Pre approval must have been given by the BOD and PR before production begins
  • Video must adhere to DMS-Established YouTube Policies and Rules
  • Video must fall into one of the following categories:
    • Classes/Events
    • New Member Orientation
    • How To/Instructional
  • Final approval must be given on finished videos by BOD and PR (David S. to provide production guidance temporarily)

Relevance to our tax exempt purpose: The YouTube channel can provide a direct means to educate the public and reach those who cannot attend local classes. This is a direct and visible way to help reinforce our 501(c)(3) status.

PR Displays (Robert Davidson/Steve Blanchard)

Problem: PR has been asked to bring in displays into both Tanners and Mikes Hobby Shop. Build a Display that can be installed into both facilities.

Solution: Authorize spending of up to $1000 for the supplies of 2 displays we need steel large tv monitors and mounts and various PR materials. Robert Davidson will be in charge of making sure the job is completed.

Relevance to our tax exempt purpose: The IRS has said that Marketing is a normal business process of a Non-Profit this display will be able to showcase events and activities at the Dallas Makerspace

New Business

Suspension of Membership

Problem: Ben N. has been found sleeping at the space, leaving areas messy and generally engaging in conduct detrimental to the organization. Ben has been coached by Dallas Makerspace leadership on what behaviors are considered acceptable. It appears that these efforts have not worked.

Solution: Suspend Ben N.'s membership for a period of 1 month.

Note: Ben will be given the option to have his case heard either orally or in writing.

Lathe Tooling (Bryan Gangwere)

Problem: There is only a single turning tool for the lathe. This severely limits its usability. While money was previously available for purchasing tooling, it was Workshop committee funds.

Solution: Allocate $1000 to acquire a the following basic tools for the lathe

  • Quick-change tool holders
  • Turning/facing tools
  • Boring bars
  • Threading tools
  • Cutoff tools
  • Knurling tool
  • Magnetic indicator holder
  • Safety shield for chuck
  • Spring load chuck key (for safety)

Relevance to our tax exempt purpose: Without tooling, it is not possible to teach anyone how to use the lathe, nor is it possible to use the lathe to make parts to be used in other educational projects (Lemons race, Power wheels competition, robot building, etc).

Machine Shop Matching Funds (Bryan Gangwere)

Problem: Machine tooling is expensive. The machine shop committee would like to encourage members to donate money for tooling.

Solution: Agree to match donations to the machine shop for tooling.

Relevance to our tax exempt purpose: Will allow expanded capabilities for members to learn how to perform advanced machining processes.

Workshop Tools (Alex Rhodes)

Problem: Clamps have gone missing. Clamps are essential for any basic wood working project.

Solution: Allocate $314 to purchase clamps of varying size.

Relevance to our tax exempt purpose: This helps DMS accomplish its educational mission by enabling our members to perform basic woodworking and non wood working operations. Needed for Glue up other basic operations.

4 x $13.97

roughly $80 for 24ft of Steel tubing - This might be cheaper, but was based on prices from Grainger.

6 x $15.97 -

2 x $18.97 -

4 x $10.97 -

The pipes can wait if funds are tight right now.

Problem: Ducting is not complete. Changed around tooling and need to add in floor sweep.

Solution: Buy remaining items to finish.

Relevance to our tax exempt purpose: This helps DMS accomplish its educational mission by enabling a safer and cleaner environment. $177.35 for remaining are duct stuff. 45 degree angles, floor sweep and connectors.

Problem: Cordless Saws are not powerful enough to cut some materials

Solution: buy a corded Saw.

Relevance to our tax exempt purpose: This helps DMS accomplish its educational mission by enabling safer operations when cutting thicker materials. Circular Saw - $130 ( - I looked at several reviews and it appears to be a solid saw that would benefit makers.   

Problem: No cordless Jig Saw owned by space.

Solution: buy one or two that works with current Batteries.

Relevance to our tax exempt purpose: This helps DMS accomplish its educational mission by enabling our members to perform basic woodworking and non wood working operations.

Jig Saw - $60 ( - For the Jig saw I suggest we get the one that works with the Ryobi batteries we have.

Problem: Router Table donated but needs a few pieces.

Solution: Seek matching donation from Dallas Makerspace up to $500 to purchase Lift plate and Fence.

Relevance to our tax exempt purpose: The router table will allow users to safely create more intricate joinery and designs.

Workshop would like another $300 for miscellaneous to upkeep tools. Re-teeth some blades, buy sand paper, buy blades for other saws.

Problem: Plans to teach a basic woodworking course but no bench top chisels.

Solution: Purchase starter set below to teach some joinery with Poplar wood.

Relevance to our tax exempt purpose: The bench top chisels will allow users to try things such as dovetails and other joinery.

Chisels - $125 (,41504)

Workshop would like another $300 for miscellaneous to upkeep tools. Re-teeth some blades, buy sand paper, buy blades for other saws.

Automotive work area flooring solution (Brandon Green)

Problem: We need a way to protect concrete from spills in proposed automative area

Solution: Request from landlord permission to improve a limited (20'x20') area of flooring with an epoxy coating, and use existing automotive funds to fund installation of said floor

Suggested wording of landlord question: 'We would like approval to put an epoxy coating on a 20'x20' area of the workshop in order to protect the concrete floor and establish an area where we can teach mechanical related classes'

This has added benefit of getting implicit approval from landlord to establish such an area by couching it inside a request to improve the property

Relevance to our tax exempt purpose: Allows us to not be evicted due to damage to floors

Public Relations Committee

1. Request Deidre Havens be paid for all classes she has taught for the Six Sigma course, there are 8 in the series. She has been approved(?) for 5. It is acknowledged she did not get the paperwork in on time. This is her first time teaching @ DMS. She had 26 students pay $60 for the first course. She is going to teach it again starting on September 18th.

2. Order business cards for DMS's new space.

3. Setup a date and budget for the Grand Opening party for DMS.

4. Requesting $650 for 2 TVs, Raspberry Pis, power supplies and 32gb SD cards to go onsite at Mikes and at Tanners. The one at Mikes would come back when they close. It could then be used at other events. The system would be like the plasma screen that was running at the Ladybird space.

5. Change the Honorarium guide to a 2 week lead for courses to be announced. This gives members an opportunity to see the event is scheduled and attend. The current 3 day window does not typically allow a course to "make".

6. Talk about streamlining class approvals for honorarium. Currently, it happens with email, it is not a visible process or timely. Possibility of adding something like SalesForce that would allow us to create a workflow for classes and other events where there need to be BOD decisions and then further actions by members.

7. Look at competitive products to CalendarAdmin. There are some holes in what the product does. It will not allow the scheduling of repeat classes. At this point, it will not feed EventBrite a class, it has to be done manually. For the numbers of courses we are teaching/scheduling, it needs to be a better tool. Additional modules or programming?

Storage Rules Update & Clarification (Andrew LeCody)

Problem: The storage rules are somewhat confusing and outdated.

Solution: Modify the Storage Section of our Rules and Policies to read:

  1. The Dallas Makerspace is not a storage facility, projects and materials that do not follow these rules, will be considered donations.
  2. Projects (and materials for them) can only be stored in designated Project Storage Areas.
  3. Projects (and materials for them) stored in the Project Storage Areas, must follow the rules and policies created by the Operations and Facilities Committee.
  4. Projects can be stored in committee controlled rooms, as long as they follow the committee's guidelines.
  5. A project may be stored elsewhere with the approval of a member of the Board or by a vote of the membership.
  6. Projects stored in committee rooms or other places outside of the designated Project Storage Areas must follow these additional rules:
    1. Projects must be labeled, and include the names of the members working on the project.
    2. Projects should be presented as active at the Weekly Meetings.
    3. Projects are urged to create a page on the wiki and place it in the Projects category.
  7. Individual storage areas will be available for each member:
    • Each storage area is approximately 10"x16"x24"[3]
    • The individual storage area is located in the workshop
  8. Firearms, gunpowder, primers, and assembled ammunition can not be stored at the Makerspace.

Old Business


Meeting called to order at 4:20pm.

In attendance Andrew LeCody, Andrew Falgout, Pearce Dunlap, Robert Davidson, Benjamin Groves

- No complaints or changes


Items Pulled from Consent Agenda for discussion:
- Automotive Rules
- Camera Testing
- IP Phones
- Automotive Committee Chair
- DMS YouTube Incentive
- PR Displays


DMS YouTube Incentive
          - As written, with a $300 (non-renewing) cap to test the incentive program
          - LeCody proposes, Falgout seconds
          - Unanimously Approved

Suspension of Membership (Ben N.)
          - Notice was sent to Ben N. via e-mail on Aug 20th.
          - Andrew LeCody spoke with Ben in person on Aug 20th, Ben confirmed that he would be present at the board meeting in order to resolve any issues.
          - Paul Brown called Ben prior to the board beginning discussion, the call was not answered.
          - As written, suspension of membership and rights to visit the space for a period of one month
          - Note that Ben N. has continued to utilize the space without paying membership dues
          - Penalty of Ben N.' member is due to not cleaning up after himself, sleeping in the space
               and generally engaging in conduct detrimental of the organization
          - Ben N. has a week (due 08/31/14) to contact someone to collect his items - Nick has been requested as a liaison
          - LeCody proposes, Falgout seconds
          - Unanimously Approved

Lathe Tooling
          - As written
          - Robert proposes, LeCody seconds
          - Unanimously Approved

Machine Shop Matching Funds
     Topic Dropped

Workshop Tools
          - Board Approves $1000 funding to get workshop committee running smooth with the proper tools
          - LeCody proposes, Benjamin seconds
          - Unanimously Approved

Public Relations Committee
     Topic Dropped

Adjustment to Honorarium Rules (from Public Relations Committee Item #5)
          - Largely as written, Board of Directors approves changes the honorarium rules as follows:
               - Honorarium rule item #2 changes to:
                    - To be eligible for the Honorarium, Classes must be submitted to the Board of Directors
                         for approval at least 14 days before the class. Classes must be approved by a majority
                         of the Board of Directors to be eligible for payout.
               - Honorarium rule item #3 is removed
          - LeCody proposes, Falgout seconds
          - Unanimously Approved

Storage Rules Update & Clarification
          - As written
          - Falgout proposes, Robert seconds
          - Unanimously Approved

Automotive Rules
     Topic Tabled

Camera Testing
     Topic Tabled

IP Phones
     Topic Tabled

Automotive Committee Chair
          - As written
          - LeCody proposes, Falgout seconds
          - Unanimously Approved

Automotive work area flooring solution
     Topic Tabled

PR Displays
          - As written, modified to authorize spending up to $700 on effort
          - LeCody proposes, Benjamin seconds
          - 4 approvals
          - 1 disapprovals
          - Passed

Richard Bauman's offer of donation
          - Richard Bauman donates $500 for 3D fabrication committee with DMS matching another $500,
               to be used within the 3d fabrication committee as 3d fabrication committee chair decides
          - Benjamin proposes, LeCody approves
          - Unanimously Approved

Post Approve Trash Collection Fees
          - Retroactively and going forward approve spending for janitorial services from the general fund
               instead of the Operations fund
          - LeCody proposes, Robert approves
          - Unanimously Approved

Post Approve Airgas Funds
          - Approve recurring spending for the AirGas bill from the General fund
          - Robert proposes, Benjamin seconds
          - Unanimously Approved

Next Meeting scheduled September 7th at 4:00pm

Meeting adjourned at 8:55pm