Board of Directors Meeting 20131020
This meeting will be held in Modified SRC3 format.
- 1 Time, location
- 2 Prior minutes
- 3 Officer/Committee reports
- 4 Consent Agenda
- 5 Old business
- 6 New business
- 7 Minutes
18:00, Dallas Makerspace
- 3d Fabrication Committee - Andrew Falgout
- Amateur Radio Committee - Pat Hykkonen
- Aerospace Committee - Romeo Espana
- Automotive Committee - Luke Olson
- Bio Committee - Andrew Floyd
- Civic Hacking - Steve Rainwater
- Classroom Committee - John Fields
- Creative Arts Committee - Dawn Ellis
- Electronics Robotics Committee - Daniel Jackson
- Financial Committee - Paul Brown
- Foundry Committee - John Kuhlenschmidt
- Laser Committee - William Petefish
- LifeMakers Committee - Lisa Selk
- Operations and Facilities Committee - Andrew LeCody
- Photography Lab (Darkroom Committee) - Nicole LeCody
- Public Relations Committee - Cone Johnson
- Workshop Committee - Greg Needel
Newly proposed agenda items appear in the consent agenda. Any member present at the meeting may pull an item out of the consent agenda for discussion, at which point it goes under "New Business". If nobody objects to the solutions presented by the consent agenda, everything in the consent agenda passes by consensus. Items that have more than one proposed solution should be moved to the "New Business" section.
Any member may edit this wiki page and place an item on the consent agenda. However, discussion of agenda items should be done via the forums. The cut-off time for addition to or revision of the the agenda's items is 48 hours prior to the meeting.
Maker Faire - Proposed Committee (Mike Eber)
Authorize the creation of the Maker Faire Committee with Cone Johnson as the committee Chair.
These are the issues that remained unresolved from the last meeting. In a perfect meeting, there is no old business.
Vision Statement (Paul Brown)
Problem: We need to take some time to discuss and clarify our vision for the future of the Makerspace.
- Discuss our vision for DMS and begin to develop a vision statement.
Voting Rights Management (Kent Bowling)
Problem: We have too many people who have voting rights who do not show up at enough user meetings to typically make quorum. Our last user meeting was the first one in a few months that actually made quorum. Reminding people in emails that they can drop their rights and reacquire them when needed doesn't appear to be solving the problem.
- Make voting rights easier for people to (digitally) manage (via website etc.)
- Formalize the proxy assignment process and allow people to manage that as well (again, via a website etc.). This could possibly encourage people to assign proxies and have an easy way to determine who has proxies.
- Make voting rights something that must be proactively renewed. A reminder message every X amount of time (3 months?) could send out a link for people to click to renew them. If they are not renewed, they expire and do not count against quorum counts.
- One week before every user meeting, send a personalized email to each voting member to ask if they're attending. Recommend they assign a proxy or suspend voting rights if they are not.
Proposal to set criteria to select new leased space (David Jannke)
Problem: Our lease is up in approximately eight months. We need to wisely select a new space or establish that our existing space is sufficient. Without an idea of exactly what we need in a space we may miss opportunities to lease an outstanding one or run out of time to make a decision.
- Create a temporary group to draft criteria for selecting a space to be brought to the board
- In conjunction with the board and the DMS vision establish what functions will need space
- In conjunction with room committees establish how much space each function needs
- Categorize the level of importance of each criteria
- Determine geographic concentration of the membership
- Outline concerns about leasing, purchasing or building new space
- Establish a framework that can be used to quickly analyze any new space that might come available without a bias toward or against any particular space now available.
Maker Manager Demo (Paul Brown)
Problem: We need to ensure documentation of member badges and streamline the way members access their billing account.
Solution: Allow Paul to demo a solution he made called Maker Manager.
Decisions Outside of Board Meetings (Paul Brown)
Problem: Our bylaws and standing rules don't explicitly allow for decisions outside of board meetings. However, it's unlikely for there to be negative consequences if the board was allowed to make decisions outside of the assigned monthly meetings as long as there is documentation and consensus. It's also unclear whether we're allowed to make decisions like refund members or accept vehicle donations outside of a meeting.
- Add the following to the standing rules:
Actions Without A Meeting Any action required or permitted to be taken by the Board of Directors under the Texas Non-Profit Corporation Act, the Certificate of Formation, and the bylaws may be taken without a meeting, if all Directors individually and collectively consent in writing, and set forth in the same writing the action or decision taken or made. Such written consent shall have the same force and effect as a unanimous vote of the Board. Requests for action and written consent by the Board of Directors must be documented on the Wiki at the time of the decision and made available to all members.
- Also, discuss the roles of officers and actions allowed to be taken by officers. (which are also unclear)
Dallas Makerspace is Dirty (Robert Davidson)
Problem: DMS is Cluttered and not Organised
Solution: Clean Table Policy and Clean Floor Policy (Presentation)
---DRAFT--- 20131020 1816 AndrewL calling meeting to order. 1821 Board members present Andrew L, John G, Paul B, Robert D, Peter S Call for changes of prior minutes. Prior minutes ratified. Andrew L pulling Maker Faire - Proposed Committee (Mike Eber) 1824 Vision Statement (Paul Brown) Discussion Scheduling a brainstorming session/meeting for 20131102 1900. ACTION ITEM. Voting Rights Management (Kent Bowling) Discussion 1851 Proposal to set criteria to select new leased space (David Jannke) Review mission statement and criteria for new space at the next Board Meeting. ACTION ITEM. 1901 Maker Manager Demo (Paul Brown) Discussion 1911 Decisions Outside of Board Meetings (Paul Brown) Discussion Andrew L proposes that DMS add a rule to the Finances Section of the Rules and Policies which states: "Refunds for membership dues paid within the last 30 days can be authorized at the discretion of the Treasurer or President." Seconded by Paul B. Vote: Aye: 5, unanimous Nay: Abs: 1933 Maker Faire - Proposed Committee (Mike Eber) Andrew L states that the minimum requirements for creating a Committee has been completed. Dallas Makerspace is Dirty (Robert Davidson) Discussion 2008 Andrew L proposes that the Makerspace provide 3 months of membership for Lance Preston to be drawn from the Makerspace Fellowship Fund. Robert D seconds Vote: Aye: 5, unanimous Nay: Abs: 2011 Removal of the Hallway Vending Machine Discussion 2013 Robert D proposes that DMS give Mike Eber 2 weeks to remove the "Will-call" machine in the hallway of the Ladybird location, or it will be disposed of. John G seconds. Vote: Aye: 5, unanimous. Nay: Abs: ACTION ITEM: Andrew L to clarify procedure for moving items to the Project Storage shelving. ACTION ITEM: Scheduling a brainstorming session/meeting for 20131102 1900. ACTION ITEM: Review mission statement and criteria for new space at the next Board Meeting. Next board meeting schedule: Sunday, Nov 10--20131110. 1800 Meeting adjourned at 2021.
Next meeting: Board of Directors Meeting 20131110