Board of Directors Meeting 20131110

From Dallas Makerspace
Jump to: navigation, search

This meeting will be held in Modified SRC3 format.

Time, location

18:00, Dallas Makerspace

Prior minutes


Officer/Committee reports

  • 3d Fabrication Committee - Andrew Falgout
  • Amateur Radio Committee - Pat Hykkonen
  • Aerospace Committee - Romeo Espana
  • Automotive Committee - Luke Olson
  • Bio Committee - Andrew Floyd
  • Civic Hacking - Steve Rainwater
    • Civic Hacking Committee report for Nov/Dec 2013
      • group members have continued to work on the project started at our August mini-hackathon; Stephen Wylie recently completed a new version of his screen-scraper, used to build a list of Dallas area social service charities. Lance Preston has done further work with the dataset to get it ready use. As items from the dataset are checked for accuracy, they'll be added to the Open Street Map database, making meta info and geolocation data available to mobile app authors.
      • no meetings in Nov/Dec. We plan to start meeting regularly again in January to select a new project.
      • we'd like to arrange access to webhosting to deploy some civic service apps, preferably a CentOS 6 server. Either a VPS/VM like the one set up recently for Doug's curriculum software or a dedicated box. The initial app deployed will be Open Data Catalog, free software developed by civic hackers in Philadelphia.
      • Steve Rainwater and Cone Johnson are continuing to network with other DFW civic hacking groups and are working toward more coordinated civic hacking events for 2014.
  • Classroom Committee - John Fields
  • Creative Arts Committee - Dawn Ellis
  • Electronics Robotics Committee - Daniel Jackson
  • Financial Committee - Paul Brown
  • Foundry Committee - John Kuhlenschmidt
  • Laser Committee - William Petefish
  • LifeMakers Committee - Lisa Selk
  • Operations and Facilities Committee - Andrew LeCody
  • Photography Lab (Darkroom Committee) - Nicole LeCody
  • Public Relations Committee - Cone Johnson
  • Workshop Committee - Greg Needel

Consent Agenda

Newly proposed agenda items appear in the consent agenda. Any member present at the meeting may pull an item out of the consent agenda for discussion, at which point it goes under "New Business". If nobody objects to the solutions presented by the consent agenda, everything in the consent agenda passes by consensus. Items that have more than one proposed solution should be moved to the "New Business" section.

Any member may edit this wiki page and place an item on the consent agenda. However, discussion of agenda items should be done via the forums. The cut-off time for addition to or revision of the the agenda's items is 48 hours prior to the meeting.

Fire Cabinet (Andrew LeCody)

Allocate $500 to the Operations and Facilities Committee, to cover the purchase of a 90 gallon Fire Cabinet.

Will-call/Vending Machine (a previous gathering of board members)

"Instead of disposing of Mike Eber's vending machine, authorize Mike Eber, Andrew Falgout, and Daniel Jackson to reclassify the vending machine as a project and store it in the warehouse storage area until January 5, 2014. The machine may NOT be used to sell items until a new contract is signed and approved at a board meeting. If no contract is reached and approved by January 5, 2014, the vending machine must be removed from the Dallas Makerspace."

The above resolution is meant to formalize a decision that a majority of board members previously agreed to on November 2, 2013. A few editorial changes have been made to improve clarity and better reflect the intent of the respective board members.

Old business

These are the issues that remained unresolved from the last meeting. In a perfect meeting, there is no old business.

New business

Tarrant Makers (Robert Davidson)

Tarrant county makers (Robert Bradbury) is going to come and give a presentation on Fiscal Sponsorship

Credit Card (Robert Davidson)

Problem: The CC is restricted to only purchases exclusively set for the Credit Card "The Board in its exclusive pervue is able to allocate moneys from a line of credit into the General Fund."

Solution:Relax the restrictions on the credit card to Approved Spending. The credit card is configured to pay off every month and we get 1-5% Cash Back on all our purchases as well as it can have more controls than the Debit Cards.

T-Shirts (Nick Sainz)

Nick is proposing a system that would allow us to offer t-shirts for donations, without having to keep stock on hand and reducing the amount of work our volunteers would have to do. This option would also allow donors to choose from multiple designs, colors and sizes, allowing for a wide range of customization.

Workshop Funds (Robert Davidson)

Problem: Workshop has been hard at work making it self better and is running low on cash

Solution:Transfer $1,500 from General Funds into the workshop

Recording of Meetings (Allen Wan)

Background for discussion: At a previous board gathering, Daniel Jackson brought in a video recorder to record the events. It is my concern that such acts may stifle open discussion and intimidate others from contributing to the meeting. On the other hand, it does provide a clear record of the events that others who were unable to attend may later view in order to stay abreast of what transpired. Additionally, there have been past occurrences of outbursts that were unfitting for a board meeting. The recording of meetings might discourage such outbursts in the future. Among my concerns with an individual recording the meeting is that that individual may later selectively release the recording depending on whether it helps or hurts his perspective. Additionally, if the recording of meetings is an irregular practice, bringing a recorder to a meeting can become an intimidation tactic. I ask the board to provide guidance on what the policy will be going forward.


20131110 Meeting

Board members present: Andrew L, Peter S, Paul B, John G.

Andrew L calls meeting to order at 1820.

Prior minutes ratified by consensus.

Officer/Committee reports

3d Fabrication Committee - Andrew Falgout; Paul B reporting.
 Working on the Rostock Max printer, it did actually print.
Amateur Radio Committee - Pat Hykkonen, Andrew L reporting.
 Ben Groves' report.  Pat finished the general radio class. Another round will happen at the end of the year.
 And antenna was set up. Ben is in the process of designing a better desk for radio equipment.
 The committee will work to get an HF antenna on the roof.
Aerospace Committee - Romeo Espana, no report.
Automotive Committee - Luke Olson, no report.
Bio Committee - Andrew Floyd reporting.
 Brian S suggested getting worms for the worm bins.
 Steve B says the spirulina is alive.
 Bottling party, possibly.
Civic Hacking - Steve Rainwater
 Report provided.
Action Item: Andrew L to create and coordinate a VM install for Steven Rainwater.
Classroom Committee - John Fields, John G reporting
 Whiteboards in the classroom; switching out the TVs.
Creative Arts Committee - Dawn Ellis, Andrew Fl reporting
 More classes, and regular ones.  Drawing classes, etc.
Electronics Robotics Committee - Daniel Jackson
 Bought wire, arduinos, fume extractors. Going to hold off on the built-in extraction system based on
 whether or not we are moving.
 In December more classes, O-scope class.
 Embedded electronics class was pretty popular but not very well advertised.
Financial Committee - Paul Brown
 Still have to do book-keeping, Alan and Paul have worked on the corporate sponsorship option.
 Maker Manager thing is up.  Received a $1200 donation from Steve Edwards.
Foundry Committee - John Kuhlenschmidt reporting.
 Last month did sand casting; went well. Romeo E finished a full cast. Will be making another cast next Sunday, 20131117.
 Did get the shelf for the kiln. Got a crucible that's a reasonable size as well. Not certain about doing a demo at Tanner's.
Laser Committee - William Petefish reporting.
 Moved the suction over to the downdraft; watching its performance.  Will go and get the parts tonight for the venting
 from the warehouse.
 Power? Space for the scrap?
LifeMakers Committee - Lisa Selk, John G reporting
 New member, Nate, interested in jump-starting things.
Operations and Facilities Committee - Andrew LeCody reporting
 Did a Hack-athon yesterday; now have a working prototype for the RFID power.
 Paul wrote the server side, other members worked on the hardware.  Still some things left
 to tweak, need to support greater power due to equipment needs.  Have a working prototype.
 The snack fund is running poorly, need more cash input.
 Have a QR code setup near the snacks to ease payment.
 Questions, replacement bulbs and ballasts..
Photography Lab (Darkroom Committee) - Nicole LeCody, no report.
Public Relations Committee - Cone Johnson, John G reporting.
 Had a good meeting with the Arts Council.
Workshop Committee - Greg Needel reporting.
 The new saw is here. Will be moving the CNC in. Plasma cutter problems has been
 resolved--the settings on the machine itself. This will put a big emphasis on the
 documentation and training. We will be moving forward on it.

Consent Agenda

Pulling Fire Cabinet (Andrew LeCody)

Remaining items pass by consensus.

Fire Cabinet (Andrew LeCody)
 Andrew L proposes that the Board approve the item as written.
 John G seconds

Aye: 4, unanimous

Old business
New business

Andrew L proposes that the Board give Eric Chaney 3 months for membership drawn from the Membership Fellowship fund.
 John G seconds

Aye: 4, unanimous.

Workshop Funds (Robert Davidson)
Andrew L proposes that the Board allocate $1000 to the Workshop Committee.
 John G seconds.

Aye: 4, unanimous.

Credit Card (Robert Davidson)
ACTION ITEM: To flesh out this item more.

Tarrant Makers (Robert Davidson)
 Ray Bradbury providing us a report about this.


T-Shirts (Nick Sainz)


ACTION ITEM: Tabling the discussion for the T-Shirts, the board will work on vendor agreements.

Recording of Meetings (Allen Wan)


Next meeting: [[Board of Directors Meeting 20131208]]

Andrew L adjourns meeting at 2014.

Next meeting: Board of Directors Meeting 20131208