Board of Directors Meeting 20130827
This meeting will be held in Modified SRC3 format.
- 1 Time, location
- 2 Prior minutes
- 3 Officer/Committee reports
- 4 Consent Agenda
- 4.1 Foundry - Proposed Committee (gorman)
- 4.2 Water Filter (Mike Eber)
- 4.3 Increase Monthly Cleaning Allocation (Paul Brown)
- 4.4 Vehicle Donation Rules (Andrew LeCody)
- 4.5 Require A "Best Effort" To Provide Receipts For Expenses (Paul Brown)
- 4.6 Acquire CNC Mill Accessories (Luke Olson)
- 4.7 Workshop Committee (Greg Needel)
- 4.8 DMS Biospace Budget(Andrew Floyd)
- 5 Old business
- 6 New business
- 7 Minutes
19:30, Dallas Makerspace
- 3d Fabrication Committee - Andrew Falgout
- Amateur Radio Committee - Pat Hykkonen
- Aerospace Committee - Romeo Espana
- Automotive Committee - Luke Olson
- Bio Committee - Andrew Floyd
- Civic Hacking - Steve Rainwater
- Classroom Committee - John Fields
- Creative Arts Committee - Dawn Ellis
- Electronics Robotics Committee - Daniel Jackson
- Financial Committee - Paul Brown
- Laser Committee - William Petefish
- LifeMakers Committee - Lisa Selk
- Operations and Facilities Committee - Andrew LeCody
- Photography Lab (Darkroom Committee) - Nicole LeCody
- Darkroom Committee is working on changing its name to the Photography Committee. I believe this will help make it clear what we are about as well as make it clear we cover digital as well as film.
- An emailing list has been created for the committee and I have begun compiling a list of people who wish to be added to it.
- We had an event at the space that drew in a lot of interest. Steve Rainwater taught a 'How to Photograph Models" class and we had some lovely models come out and pose for us around the space. I would like to plan more of these classes as well. Currently in the planning stages:
- Working with Strobes
- Working with Green Screens
- Intermediate Photoshop
- Advanced Photo Touch Up
- Develop Your Own Film
- Develop Your Own Prints
- And several ideas for photo walks that will be held on weekend days instead of the regular Foto Friday.
- As if right now nothing concrete is planned but Foto Friday's continue on their regular schedule or alternating Fridays.
- Public Relations Committee - Cone Johnson
- Workshop Committee - Greg Needel
Photography Lab (Darkroom Committee)
Newly proposed agenda items appear in the consent agenda. Any member present at the meeting may pull an item out of the consent agenda for discussion, at which point it goes under "New Business". If nobody objects to the solutions presented by the consent agenda, everything in the consent agenda passes by consensus. Items that have more than one proposed solution should be moved to the "New Business" section.
Any member may edit this wiki page and place an item on the consent agenda. However, discussion of agenda items should be done via the forums. The cut-off time for addition to or revision of the the agenda's items is 48 hours prior to the meeting.
Foundry - Proposed Committee (gorman)
Authorize the creation of the Foundry Committee with John Kuhlenschmidt as the committee Chair.
Water Filter (Mike Eber)
Purchase a reverse osmosis water filter. Fresh, tasty water for everyone with a small investment of $131. Lowes has a nice model Mr Eber likes. See http://low.es/16LQ8Nj
Increase Monthly Cleaning Allocation (Paul Brown)
Problem: The makerspace stays clean for only about 4 days to 1 week after the cleaning crew comes. Also, they are currently not cleaning the new space.
Solution: Increase cleaning service allocation to $400 per month for 4 monthly visits at $100 per visit (which will add vacuuming the other space and cleaning the 3 additional bathrooms they are not currently cleaning)
Vehicle Donation Rules (Andrew LeCody)
Problem: Donations of vehicles must currently go through the board of directors as a whole. This is impacting the automotive committee's ability to accept donation vehicles in a timely manner.
Solution: Add the following to the Donations section of our standing rules:
8. Donations of motor vehicles must be approved by 3 of the 5 board members.
Require A "Best Effort" To Provide Receipts For Expenses (Paul Brown)
Problem: It is a liability when items are purchased with DMS funds and the receipt is not kept. We need to be able to establish the item was not purchased for personal benefit. In the past few months, I have seen an increasing number of transactions without receipts. I need a way to enforce a requirement for receipts for expenses.
Solution: Add a rule to the financial standing rules: "Dallas Makerspace must receive a written invoice or receipt prior to payment for any services or goods. This only applies to vendors who regularly provide a written invoice (or receipt) to their customers. If a best effort is not made to provide the treasurer with a written invoice (or receipt) from the respective vendor:
- Dallas Makerspace will not provide payment for the respective goods or services.
- If the transaction was already purchased with funds belonging to the Dallas Makerspace, the amount of the respective transaction must be refunded to the Dallas Makerspace."
Acquire CNC Mill Accessories (Luke Olson)
Problem: The EMCO CNC mill requires some additional accessories for basic functionality.
Solution: Allocate up to $500 for the purchase of accessories for the EMCO CNC mill (collets, cutters, measurement tools, reimburse expenses for the enclosure and controls).
Workshop Committee (Greg Needel)
Please make a general allocation of $1000 for workshop improvements.
DMS Biospace Budget(Andrew Floyd)
Currently the Bio Committee doesn't have a budget. We don't need much. $300.00 would make a huge step towards progress and getting some projects up and running.
These are the issues that remained unresolved from the last meeting. In a perfect meeting, there is no old business.
Block vote in Electronics Committee vote for Benevolent Dictatorship(Daniel Jackson)
Problem: A block vote has been made in the Electronics Committee vote to move to a Benevolent Dictatorship.
Solution: The board must rule on the vote to resolve the block.
Clarify Where Funds From Sales Go (Paul Brown)
Problem: When an item is sold and the profit goes to the Makerspace, it can be unclear which fund will receive the $ from the sale.
Example: A tool in the workshop is sold and the funds deposited into the Makerspace's bank account. Would the funds go into the Workshop fund or would they go into the general fund?
Solution 1: All profits from the sales of items are returned to the general fund.
- Helps to avoid giving a committee excess funds.
- No confusion about what constitutes a committee "owning" an item or an area of the space. Personally, I would like to avoid maintaining a list of each committee's "turf" or assets. Establishing a committee's owned area may create conflict and allow for shifting blame.
- Requires reallocating the funds in a meeting, if necessary.
- Less incentive for people to sell items.
Solution 2: All profits from the sales of items are placed into a related committee's fund (the committee responsible for the item, if applicable) at the Treasurer's discretion.
- May motivate committee members to sell items.
- There is slightly more precedent for this.
- "Related committee" is very subjective. So, someone would need to make the decision. If someone has an issue with where the treasurer put the funds, it could be added to the board meeting agenda.
- May tie up funds unnecessarily.
- May not scale well. (Say a committee sold a car...)
- Requires determining what items are actually "owned" by a committee.
Acquire CNC Router (Luke Olson)
Problem: Multiple members have requested a CNC router for new projects that are not currently feasible with existing tools. The laser cutter is a relatively expensive tool and some of the workload could be shared with a CNC router to extend the service life of the laser cutter.
Solution: Allocate up to $3,500 for the purchase of a Zenbot 4848 and accessories. Smaller, HDPE and aluminum construction, timing belt drive, likely to be outgrown in a few years. Any accessories could be utilized on other CNC routers down the road.
Alternate Solution: Allocate up to $10,000 for the purchase of a CNCRouterParts.com PRO4896 kit and accessories. Larger, aluminum extrusion construction, rack and pinion drive, less likely to be outgrown in the next few years.
Stocking The Kitchen (Andrew LeCody)
Problem: A better system needs to be developed to help keep the kitchen stocked.
Solution: Nothing solid at this time, would like to discuss this at the meeting.
Computer Heat Sinks (Andrew LeCody)
Problem: The new computers are running a bit hot.
Solution: Purchase 3x Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus for $30/each, $90 total.
Zero Tolerance Drug Policy (Allen Wan)
Add to our rules that we have a zero tolerance drug policy at the Dallas Makerspace.
20130827 1945 Meeting starts Andrew L starting In attendance: Robert D, Andrew L, Peter S, John G, Paul Brown Prior minutes pass 1946 Committee reports 1947 3d Fabrication Committee - Andrew Falgout Rostock prisma is being built for the space. 1947 Amateur Radio Committee - Pat Hykkonen; andrew L reporting Wifi link is still being worked on; might not work due to height Aerospace Committee - Romeo Espana; Luke O reporting Drone day past; one or two members, a bunch of people 1949 Automotive Committee - Luke Olson The maxima was sold to a non-members for $2300. About $1k was spent on tools and a toolchest; Michael Lass has donated a bunch of tools on Sunday; Paul Br will be writing a letter for it. Questions: There are multiple vehicles to be donated; there is agenda for this 1953 Bio Committee - Andrew Floyd Had first meatspace meeting; have 4 members. Making plans for projects. Attempting to obtain spirulina algae. 2000 Civic Hacking - Steve Rainwater; Ralph Green reporting Had an event last weekend; used Open Streetmap.. a project to query charitable orgs in Dallas, putting them in OpenStreetMap. Ran around 11-5, about 7-8 people were in attendance. 2002 Classroom Committee - John Fields; Paul Wilson reporting Have been working on the wiring in the classroom. 2003 Creative Arts Committee - Dawn Ellis; Andrew Floyd reporting It's been transformed into a studio; talk about the screen for the computer. There's an issue that people are leaving trash; classes have been on-going. Sugru fiasco. 2010 Electronics Robotics Committee - Daniel Jackson Planning to clean the room; surface mount soldering class, limited by available soldering irons--might be teaching more classes, but with fewer people. 2011 Financial Committee - Paul Brown Working on scanning receipts; can search in folders for receipts; old chart of accounts didn't make much sense; Have now migrated to QuickBooks. Also using the Unified Bill of Accounts. 2020 Laser Committee - William Petefish Have a new curriculum for the class; Teaching classes; have a second blower to install. The Laser has been cleaned and aligned. 2021 LifeMakers Committee - Lisa Selk; John G reporting Bought a new grill; need a propane tank. 2022 Operations and Facilities Committee - Andrew LeCody Been discussing keeping the kitchen stocked. Might buy a *lot* more stuff each time, to take better advantage of the Sams or Costco visits. 2026 Photography Lab (Darkroom Committee) - Nicole LeCody See report in meeting page 2029 Public Relations Committee - Cone Johnson; John G reporting Last Saturday, had the first Members appreciation day. Dale Dougherty will be coming out to visit, Sept 23rd 2032 Workshop Committee - Greg Needel Things have actually been staying clean. Bought a horizontal band saw at auction. Vertical bandsaw needs new tires; The lathe needs a new motor. 2040 Consent Agenda 2043 Water Filter (Mike Eber) (Pulled) Discussion; tabling, no objections 2048 Vehicle Donation Rules (Andrew LeCody) (Pulled) Discussion Andrew L proposes to add the following to the Donations section of the Standing Rules: "Donations of motor vehicles must have written approval of 3 board members." John G seconds Vote: Aye: 5, unanimous 2054 Acquire CNC Mill Accessories (Luke Olson) (Pulled) Tabling for later on. Workshop Committee (Greg Needel) (Pulled) Tabling for later on. 2059 DMS Biospace Budget(Andrew Floyd) (Pulled) "Seed money" is needed - Andrew L The Great and Sovereign Paul Br proposes that $300 be transferred from the Jewelry making fund to the Bio committee fund. Andrew L seconds Vote: Aye: 4 Abs: 1 Motion passes Old business New business 2103 Block vote in Electronics Committee vote for Benevolent Dictatorship (Daniel Jackson) Discussion. From the committee: Three approves, one disapproved, and one blocked. Paul Br proposes to make Daniel Jackson the benevolent dictator of the Electronics and Robotics Committee. Andrew L seconds Vote: Aye: 3 Nay: 2 Abs:- Motion passes 2119 Clarify Where Funds From Sales Go (Paul Brown) Discussion Andrew L proposes that the Makerspace implements solution number 2. Robert D seconds Vote: Aye: 5, unanimous Computer Heat Sinks (Andrew LeCody) Discussion Andrew L proposes allocating $90 for the purchase as written. Peter S seconds Vote: Aye: 5, unanimous Stocking The Kitchen (Andrew LeCody) Andrew L proposes that debit cards be acquired from the bank for any board member as required. John G seconds Vote: Aye: 5 2131 More discussion 2139 Acquire CNC Router (Luke Olson) Discussion Andrew L has John G proxy. Andrew L proposes that the Makerspace allocates $1200 to the Workshop Committee. Vote: Aye: 5 2158 Zero Tolerance Drug Policy (Allen Wan) Discussion 2222 Allen Wan brings before the board that the power of attorney relationship that was established between him and the Makerspace for the handling of the Maxima donated car is now complete and is no longer valid. The Board agrees. Andrew L adjourns meeting at 2227 Andrew Schedules the next meeting for Sunday, 20130929, 17:00