Board of Directors Meeting 20130630
This meeting will be held in Modified SRC3 format.
- 1 Time, location
- 2 Prior minutes
- 3 Officer/Committee reports
- 4 Consent Agenda
- 4.1 Horizontal Bandsaw (Paul Brown)
- 4.2 Committee Head Term Limits (Paul Brown)
- 4.3 Committee Rule Change (Andrew LeCody)
- 4.4 Ryobi One Purchase (Allen Wan)
- 4.5 Auto Area (Luke Olson)
- 4.6 Lumber rack (John Kuhlenschmidt)
- 4.7 Warehouse Funds (Robert Davidson)
- 4.8 DMS Signage (Robert Davidson)
- 4.9 DMS Safety (Robert Davidson)
- 4.10 DMS Pipe Bender (Mark Huber)
- 4.11 Craft Room Flooring Reimbursement (Paul Brown)
- 4.12 Reloading Equipment (Ed Kim)
- 4.13 No Longer Accepting Cash For Membership Dues (Paul Brown)
- 4.14 Rename Craft Room and Craft Committee (Luke Olson)
- 4.15 Rename The Warehouse and Warehouse Committee (Luke Olson)
- 4.16 Appoint New Chairperson for Bio Committee (Andrew LeCody)
- 4.17 New Makerspace (gorman)
- 5 Old business
- 6 New business
- 7 Minutes
17:00, Dallas Makerspace
- 3d Fabrication Committee - Andrew Falgout
- Amateur Radio Committee - Pat Hykkonen
- Aerospace Committee - Romeo Espana
- Automotive Committee - Otto Wagner
- Bio Committee - David Rostcheck
- Classroom Committee - John Fields
- Craft Room Committee - Doug Emes
- Electronics Robotics Committee - David Fenyes
- Financial Committee - Paul Brown
- Laser Committee - William Petefish
- LifeMakers Committee - Lisa Selk
- Open Source Ecology Committee - ?
- Operations and Facilities Committee - Andrew LeCody
- Photography Lab (Darkroom Committee) - Nicole LeCody
- Public Relations Committee - Otto Wagner
- Security Committee - Andrew LeCody
- Warehouse Committee - Paul Wilson
Newly proposed agenda items appear in the consent agenda. Any member present at the meeting may pull an item out of the consent agenda for discussion, at which point it goes under "New Business". If nobody objects to the solutions presented by the consent agenda, everything in the consent agenda passes by consensus. Items that have more than one proposed solution should be moved to the "New Business" section.
Any member may edit this wiki page and place an item on the consent agenda. However, discussion of agenda items should be done via the forums. The cut-off time for addition to or revision of the the agenda's items is 48 hours prior to the meeting.
Horizontal Bandsaw (Paul Brown)
Problem: The warehouse needs a horizontal band saw for accurately cutting thick materials.
- Authorize funding for a horizontal band saw with a cost of up to $300.
Committee Head Term Limits (Paul Brown)
Problem: Being a committee chairperson at DMS should not be a lifetime appointment. Term limits need to be implemented to give dedicated members an opportunity to take on a leadership role in a committee.
- Implement a term limit of 6 months for a committee chairperson.
- Committee members are encouraged to submit nominations for their chairperson. However, the appointment will be made by the board of directors, as specified by the bylaws.
- Effective immediately, all Committee Chairperson terms have expired and an election will need to be held at the next board of directors meeting.
- A Committee Chairperson with an expired term can still act as the committee chairperson until re-election occurs or until a replacement is elected.
Committee Rule Change (Andrew LeCody)
Problem: Committee chairs currently hold no real power, leading to much confusion on who or how committees are run. While the consensus model was an interesting trial, it has proven too complex and slow in practice.
- Empower committee chairs to make decisions for things under control of the committee, with committee members acting as advisors. Optionally, the chair can decide to continue operating the committee under the consensus model.
- Remove Rule #9 under Rules and Policies#Committees
- Amend Rule #4 to read: "The Committee chair will be authorized to make decisions on behalf of the committee and are responsible for providing reports on the status and activities of the committee."
- Remove the sub-chair position as a requirement for committees.
- Remove Rule #5 under Rules and Policies#Committees
Ryobi One Purchase (Allen Wan)
Problem: DMS needs more cordless power tools to assist members in completing their projects more efficiently. Currently, quite a few members bring their own drills to the space due to the lack of cordless tools.
- Authorize the spending of up to $500 on the purchase of cordless tools.
- The cordless power tools must be able to share the same battery.
Auto Area (Luke Olson)
Problem: The auto area is not currently large enough to fit most cars. The only vehicle that will currently fit within the marked off area has been Duc "Doug" Cao's Mazda Miata. None of the other vehicles that have been worked on will fit within the marked off space. This means the garage door has to be open during use of the space which limits the use based on the weather and reduces the energy efficiency of the building, especially during the winter.
- Move the electronics recycling bin to the new warehouse area to open up floor space.
- Increase the marked off auto area by approximately nine feet lengthwise (from 14 feet to 23 feet).
Lumber rack (John Kuhlenschmidt)
Problem: The warehouse needs a better way of storing lumber.
- Authorize funding for a better Lumber rack similar to Artisan's Asylum with a cost of up to $250
Warehouse Funds (Robert Davidson)
Problem: Warehouse is Broke. Warehouse has made great strides to grow with DMS including organizational purchases tool purchases and lot's of new tables to continue this trend the warehouse needs Cash .
- Add $1000 to the Committee for purchases at the committee's discretion.
DMS Signage (Robert Davidson)
Problem: DMS need's more Signage I am thinking we use our new plasma cutter to cut 1/4 inch Steel Sign's that are about 4 inches off the wall and Backlit with LED's
- Create a Signage Project Fund in the Amount of $250 this a large portion of this is steel cost for 1/4 inch steel 1 4X8 panels that would be cut to 4x4 sign's Robert Davidson would lead this project unless someone else want's to lead it in his place.
DMS Safety (Robert Davidson)
Problem: Nothing is more important than the safety of our member's our eye glasses and ear protection are getting low recommend we get more safety gear.
- Purchase $100 in safety equipment
DMS Pipe Bender (Mark Huber)
Problem: We have got a donated pipe bender and made stand's for the pipe bender the final item is to get a dye after asking around the most universal pipe is 1 inch pipe die
- Recommend the purchase of 1 inch die approx cost of $250 to complete the tool
Craft Room Flooring Reimbursement (Paul Brown)
Problem: Paul Brown paid $410.26 of his own money for the materials to replace the flooring in the craft room. Materials Summary: ($70 for glue, $175 for flooring at $0.70 per sq ft, $55 for vinyl wall base, ~$40 for 100 lb roller, and other misc expenses)
- Reimburse Paul for $410.26.
Reloading Equipment (Ed Kim)
Problem: The reloading press requires shell plates in order to be usable. The press also needs a Hornady Powder Cop, to ensure that cartridges are not over or under filled.
- Purchase Hornady Shell Plates for the common calibers, specifically shell plates #1, #8, #16 and #45.
- Purchase Hornady Powder Cop
- Total cost: $215
No Longer Accepting Cash For Membership Dues (Paul Brown)
- We have 16 members paying with cash, and only 5 of them have paid their membership dues for this month.
- Accepting cash for membership dues creates unnecessary work for our volunteers. The typical cash payment requires sending reminders, accepting the cash, taking it to the bank, informing the treasurer what the deposit was for, manually marking them paid in the invoicing system, then doing extra bookkeeping for the transaction.
- DMS is less likely to be paid on time (or at all) by a member who is paying with cash/check. Only allowing recurring credit card transactions will increase our revenue.
- It is nearly impossible to automate a billing system which requires us to accept cash. More automation would reduce work for our volunteers and make DMS more scalable.
- It is a liability for volunteers to accept cash and it is not always easy for new members to figure out who to pay.
- Forbid cash/check payments for anything less than a full year of membership. Add a rule to the standing rules under the "Membership Dues" section saying: "Cash/check are not accepted membership periods for monthly memberships."
- Remove the section titled "Grace Period" from the membership dues section of the standing rules.
Rename Craft Room and Craft Committee (Luke Olson)
Problem: The name craft room does not sound appealing to some prospective members and the room could be utilized for a wider range of tasks beyond those traditionally considered crafts, in addition to crafts.
- Rename the craft room to the studio.
- Rename the craft room committee to the creative arts committee.
- Allow the creative arts committee to curate a gallery of makerspace member artworks/creations hung on empty walls and doors throughout the makerspace. The gallery would be secondary to other purposes, for example if the wall or door was needed for another purpose the artworks would be moved or stored.
Rename The Warehouse and Warehouse Committee (Luke Olson)
Problem: The name warehouse is not representative of what the space is used for or what the warehouse committee does. The tasks of managing storage and work areas are not closely related and should be handled separately where more attention can be paid to both.
- Rename the "old warehouse" to the workshop (for working).
- Officially name the "new warehouse" to the warehouse (for storage).
- Rename the warehouse committee to the workshop committee (to manage the proposed workshop).
- The Operations and Facilities Committee will manage the proposed warehouse.
- Encourage other committees to work with Ops in keeping work areas clear of items that should otherwise be stored.
Appoint New Chairperson for Bio Committee (Andrew LeCody)
Appoint Andrew Floyd as Chairperson of the Bio Committee and officially sanction the new bio room.
New Makerspace (gorman)
- Out of room, even with new annex
- Need more meeting space, committee room space
- Have only 12 months
- create fund. start saving $2,000 per month. A cash fund gives us options. Just as we saved for the laser, setting money aside now will give us more options in a new location. Perhaps for a down payment, or rapid buildout.
- work with a realtor. Work with Wiley Bros.
- publicize need to membership - more ideas, more contacts, more eyes.
- reach out to economic development groups, Arts, Chamber of Commerce, etc.
These are the issues that remained unresolved from the last meeting. In a perfect meeting, there is no old business.
Honorarium Fund (Robert Davidson)
Problem: DMS needs more lecturers, classes, workshops and events to help drive traffic to DMS and increase membership. It can be difficult to attract teachers without payment.
- Authorize the spending of up to $500 per month for the purpose of paying guest speakers to come speak at DMS.
- Authorize $250 for the purpose of paying guest speakers to come speak at DMS, this fund should be self sustaining using income from the classes.
DMS Get-Er-Done Fund (Robert Davidson)
Problem: Refill the Get Er Done Fund this fund was Established by Robert Davidson with personal fund's of $1,350. The Purpose of this fund was to complete Stuck Equipment and Maintain Uptime on DMS Equipment @ the discretion of the DMS Board of Directors
- Recommend that Money taken out of this fund be replenished as this a kind of "Stuff Happens" Fund primarily in the past it has been used to replace the Regulator on the Laser Get Air Lines to the New Plasma Cutter. Get Power Cable's for the New Plasma Cutter. This fund is meant to maintain a strategic reserve of funds primarily but not limited to maintaining equipment without the need to call an emergency board meeting.
Kiln Purchase (Dawn)
Problem: Crafts Room Could want a new Kiln it should be discussed in the committee Thursday (Robert Davidson)
- Allocate $600 to the craftsroom for the purpose of a kiln (Will need Representation by CraftsRoom)
20130630 1717 Board Meeting Andrew L calling meeting to order Prior minutes approved by consensus Call for pulling agenda items Horizontal Bandsaw (Paul Brown) Committee Head Term Limits (Paul Brown) Committee Rule Change (Andrew LeCody) Ryobi One Purchase (Allen Wan) Lumber rack (John Kuhlenschmidt) Warehouse Funds (Robert Davidson) Reloading Equipment (Ed Kim) No Longer Accepting Cash For Membership Dues (Paul Brown) Rename Craft Room and Craft Committee (Luke Olson) Rename The Warehouse and Warehouse Committee (Luke Olson) New MakerSpace (gorman) -- Automatically passed by Consent Agenda Auto Area (Luke Olson) DMS Signage (Robert Davidson) DMS Safety (Robert Davidson) DMS Pipe Bender (Mark Huber) Craft Room Flooring Reimbursement (Paul Brown) Appoint New Chairperson for Bio Committee (Andrew LeCody) 1722 Committee reports 3d Fabrication Committee - Andrew Falgout Update re : Rostock max Amateur Radio Committee - Pat Hykkonen, Andrew L reporting Scheduled another amateur radio class Aerospace Committee - Romeo Espana, John G reporting Upcoming drone classes Bio Committee - no report (Andrew Floyd) Classroom Committee - John Fields Planned on visiting Home Depot for supplies, didn't make it Planning on getting the classroom ready within 2 weeks Working on electrical w/ Lance Preston Discussion about TVs 1728 Craft Room Committee - Robert D reporting Name change discussion To craiglist the "table made from a door" Electronics Robotics Committee - Ralph G reporting The flooring is an issue; the floor looks aweful and something will have to be done with it before/if we move out. Monthly class for electronics (Wednesday), may be rescheduled due to 4th holiday. 1737 Financial Committee - Paul Brown 1738 Laser Committee - William Petefish Got the second blower for the laser, installing now. Sent Paul B an email for laser cleaning materials. Working on getting a large CO2 tank for refilling smaller tanks. Got the new gear-generator program "on the computer." Group email address is "laser<at>dallasmakerspace.org" Question about lens swap. Discussion about targetting laser hardware and lens hardware. 1743 LifeMakers Committee - John G, no report Open Source Ecology Committee - (Inactive/disbanded) Operations and Facilities Committee - Andrew LeCody Counting snack fund 1750 Photography Lab (Darkroom Committee) - Andrew L Foto fridays still going on; introduction to photoshop; two additional classes upcoming; film development, there's always been someone there processing 1752 Public Relations Committee - Robert D Have cards in, some are personalized. Planning, PR still needs help 1758 Security Committee - Andrew LeCody Was up on the roof yesterday; after fiddling with the downtown link, it is intermittent; looks like we may be able to get 6Mb. Plan on doing a VPN tunnel over Comcast link, NAT'ing will be done at the datacenter. Amateur radio committee has to complete the grounding of the equipment on the roof (and Lightning protection) 1804 Warehouse Committee - Paul Wilson Plasma CNC is here and up and running Question about the source of the raw metal materials (Norton Metals in Ft Worth.) Need to de-clutter the Monroe garage. New Business 1810 Honorarium Fund (Robert Davidson) Discussion 1844 Paul Brown proposes the Makerspace allocates $750 to a fund for attracting classes to the Makerspace. The spending of these funds will require consent from the Board of Directors. Andrew L seconds Vote: Aye: 5 Unanimous. Nay: Abs: DMS Get-Er-Done Fund (Robert Davidson) Discussion Andrew L proposes the Makerspace allocates $400 one-time to the Operations and Facilities committee to replenish its fund. Robert D seconds Vote: Aye: 4 Nay: 1 Abs: 0 1900 Robert D proposes that the Board Member Discretionary fund be increased from $100 to $200. Paul B seconds Vote: Aye: 4 Nay: 1 Abs: 0 1902 We are tabling the "Kiln Purchase (Dawn)" for the next meeting. 1903 Agenda Horizontal Bandsaw (Paul Brown) 1910 Discussion Paul B proposes that the Makerspace allocates $300 for the purchase of a horizontal bandsaw. Robert D seconds Vote: Aye: 5 Nay: Abs: 0 1911 Committee Head Term Limits (Paul Brown) Andrew L proposes that the Makerspace amends the Standing rules, committee section, rule #2 to read: "Committee chairpersons are appointed by the Board to serve a term of 6 months." Robert D seconds Vote: Aye: 5 Unanimous Nay: Abs: 1923 (return at 1935) 1938 Committee Rule Change (Andrew LeCody) Andrew L proposes to amend Rule #9 under Rules and Policies, Committees, to read "Binding committee decisions must reach consensus. If the committee fails to reach consensus, the decision will then be deferred to the Membership or the Board of Directors. Committees may vote to change from the concensus voting/leadership model to any other type of voting/leadership model. Each committee must specify their model of operation on their wiki page. Upon appointment of a new committee chairperson the voting/leadership model shall revert to concensus.", amend Rule #4 under Rules and Policies, Committees, to read "The Committee chairperson will be responsible for maintaining the list of committee members and providing reports on the status and activities of the committee.", and amend Rule #5 under Rules and Policies, Committees, to read "Committees may have a sub-chairperson, appointed by the committee." Paul B seconds Vote: Aye: 5 Unanimous Nay: Abs: 2005 Ryobi One Purchase (Allen Wan) Andrew L proposes implementing as in the agenda. Vote: Aye: 5 Unanimous Nay: Abs: 2010 Lumber rack (John Kuhlenschmidt) Discussion Robert D seconds the proposal as written. Vote: Aye: 4 Nay: Abs: 1 2018 Warehouse Funds (Robert Davidson) Andrew L proposes to accept as written John G seconds Vote: Aye: 5 Unanimous Nay: Abs: 2020 Reloading Equipment (Ed Kim) Discussion Andrew L proposes to accept as written Robert D seconds Vote: Aye: 4 Nay: 1 Abs: 0 2024 No Longer Accepting Cash For Membership Dues (Paul Brown) Discussion Paul B proposes to accept as written Robert D seconds Vote: Aye: 4 Nay: 0 Abs: 1 2039 Rename Craft Room and Craft Committee (Luke Olson) Robert D proposes to accept as written John G seconds Vote: Aye: 5 Unanimous 2040 Rename The Warehouse and Warehouse Committee (Luke Olson) Discussion Andrew L proposes to accept as written Robert D seconds Vote: Aye: 5 Unanimous 2043 New Makerspace (gorman) Andrew L Proposes that the Makerspace set aside $1000 a month for a potential space move Vote: Aye: 3 Ops: 2 Abs: 0 Robert D proposes the Makerspace allocate $650 to be used towards the purchase of a vertical bandsaw. John G seconds Vote: Aye: 5 Unanimous Opp: Old Business Notes: Next member meeting is Thursday 20130711. Andrew L schedules the next meeting for 20130728 1700. Andrew L adjourns meeting 2056