Creative Arts Committee
Committees are voluntary groups, formed by members in order to achieve certain goals.
To join this committee, contact the committee chairperson. See Rules and Policies#Committees for more information.
Overview of Creative Arts
Creative Arts is typically one of the busiest places at the Makerspace. We are packed with supplies, opportunities, and tools to assist in your making. Like most things, you will get out of it what you put into it.
Periodically we offer a one-hour "Intro to Creative Arts" session that describes the organizational structure, community, resources and expectations. Our goal is to help you become more comfortable with the corner that is Creative Arts within Dallas Makerspace.
We hope you will become an active community member of Creative Arts.
The Creative Arts Committee's responsibilities are to:
- Maintain the organization, safety, cleanliness, and utility of the studio and digital annex.
- To foster and encourage a love and appreciation of using one's hands to create art.
- To provide demonstrations on a recurring basis of basic crafting techniques including painting, sewing, leather working, silkscreen printing, dye sublimation, Cosplay, and more.
- Curate a gallery of makerspace member artworks/creations hung on empty walls and doors throughout the makerspace.
(Please add your Talk username if applicable so people can find you)
- Paul Brown
- Raymond Cassady - @ArtNerdRay
- Leah C. - @Leah_C
- Doug Emes - @DougEmes
- Romeo España
- Bill Gee - @Bill
- Bitta Gray - @Bitta
- Nicole Greeley
- Andrew Fallout
- Timbo Fisher
- Cary Fleming - @CaryF300
- Nicole Franczvai - @UglyKnees
- Jeannie Harwell - @Kyrithia
- John Haskins
- Chris Marlow - @John_Marlow
- Haley Moore - @Haley_Moore
- Darcy Neal - @Darcy_Neal
- Adam Oas - @Adam_Oas
- Luke Olson - @LukeIAmYourFather
- Jay Phelps - @JPhelps
- Ken Purcell - @Lampy
- Steve Reeves - @PandaBob
- Juliana Rincon - @Jules
- Mellissa Rhodes - @MellissaRhodes
- Nick Sainz - @Nick
- Jorge Soto - @webdevel
- Aeris Spaulding
- Dawn Swain
- Patrick Thompson - @PatrickPleez1
- Heather Williamee - @Heather_Williamee
- Oguz Yetkin
- Matt Zeisler - @Comter
How To Join
- Send a PM to @Team_Creative_Arts on the Talk forum, letting us know you're interested.
- Add your name (alphabetical by last name) to the "Members" section of this wiki page.
The Talk Forum
Dallas Makerspace Creative Arts:
Dallas Makerspace Fiberholics:
Dallas Makerspace Sew and Sews:
Cosplay Makerspace Dallas:
World Wide Web:
- Sewing Machines
- Fiber Tools
- Spinning Wheel
- Inkle Looms
- Table Loom (Dorothy LeClerc 4H 15.75" table loom) [picture]
- Button Making tools (1", 1.5", 2.25")
- Shapeoko 2 CNC mill
- Roland Metaza MPX-80 Photo impact printer
- 3" squared (80mm) printing area
- Capabilities brochure with photos of sample projects File:Roland MPX-80 Brochure.pdf
- User Manual
- Manufacturer's support website for software drivers etc.
- Kelsey Excelsior Model O 3X5 - currently waiting for chase to be built
- Experimental Letterpress Concepts
- Wide format printing
- Dye Sublimation Printing Equipment
- Vinyl cutter/plotter
- Computers with Adobe Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, ...)
- Instructional Art & Craft Books
- Polymer clay tools, oven, and some media ($4 contribution per block of Sculpey requested)==
- Natural Air Dry Clay
- Gel Pens
- Various Xacto Knives
- DIY Marbling
- Scrapbooking (scissors, papers, stamps, embossing powders)
- All make and manner of drawing media
- Candle Making ($5-6 contribution per candle is requested)
Consumables & Consumables Fees
Many consumables are available within Creative Arts. We make available dedicated consumables for specific tools plus resources that you might not have available if you had to buy "the entire container", for instance.
Some consumables have specific pricing. Others we just ask that you contribute something to help defray the cost of replenishment. We don't make any profit on these materials; all the funds go back into replenishing.
Specific Pricing (as of 3/8/2017)
The consumables listed below have specific pricing. We reserve the right to add or change any price if needed. In the case of a discrepancy, the prices posted in the Studio/Annex (on the payment envelopes/kiosk) are the definitive prices.
- We have an "If you use it, you pay for it, when you use it" policy
- No IOU's
- You pay for everything you use whether it turned out as expected or not
- You are expected to pay when you use the materials
- Wide Format Printing
- 24" Epson 7880 printer
- $2/linear foot on photo paper, rounded up to the nearest whole foot
- $5/linear foot on canvas, rounded up to the nearest whole foot
- If you provide your own paper, there is a reduced fee for using just the ink (inquire to the committee chair)
- 64" Epson 11880 printer
- See pricing on the printer (I will update this later)
- 24" Epson 7880 printer
- Dye Sublimation (updated August 2017):
- $5 for a (4)sheet package of (8.5" x 14" / Legal) or $10 for a (4)sheet package of (11" x 17" / Tabloid) dye sub printer paper (this covers the cost of the other consumables such as heat-proof tape, adhesive spray, etc.) Single sheets are not available.
- If you provide your own paper, there is a reduced fee for using just the dye plus the affiliated consumables. This "no paper required" fee is $1 per page printed for Legal, $2 for Tabloid.
- No charge to use the heat press; just for the materials to transfer the design
- You provide your own items to be sublimated.
- Vinyl Cutter:
- $2/linear foot for vinyl and transfer tape, rounded up to the nearest whole foot
- $1/linear foot if you use only vinyl or only transfer tape, rounded up to the nearest whole foot
- If you provide both your own vinyl and transfer tape, there is no fee.
- CNC Embroidery:
- $1, $2, or $3 per project (small/medium/large project) if you use DMS-provided embroidery thread (project specifics are posted on the thread box).
- No charge if you provide your own thread (but if you use the DMS-provided stabilizer and bobbin thread, a small contribution would be appreciated).
- Button making ($1 per qty):
- (8) 1" buttons,
- (6) 1.5" buttons,
- (4) 2.25" buttons,
- (2) 2.25" Magnetic buttons
- Leather supplies: liquid, paste, or wax $2 per ounce
General contribution is requested to help support and replenish:
- General-use leather supplies
- Sewing supplies/thread, fabric
- Watercolor paper/matte board
- Paint, glue, general art media
- Molding supplies
In addition, we request the following voluntary contributions for these lesser-used resources:
- Clay - $4 per block of Sculpey
- Candle Making - $5-6 per candle
- Xyron 900 sticker machine & cartridges - $0.10 per inch
Please note, the best way to contribute is to use the Square console, just inside the classroom
Click here for the Creative Arts Paypal contribution page