Regular Member Meeting 20131114
This meeting will be held in MIBS SRC3 format.
20:00, Dallas Makerspace
Approval of prior minutes
- 3d Fabrication Committee - Andrew Falgout
- Amateur Radio Committee - Pat Hykkonen
- Aerospace Committee - Romeo Espana
- Automotive Committee - Luke Olson
- Bio Committee - Andrew Floyd
- Civic Hacking - Steve Rainwater
- Civic Hacking Committee report for Nov/Dec 2013
- group members have continued to work on the project started at our August mini-hackathon; Stephen Wylie recently completed a new version of his screen-scraper, used to build a list of Dallas area social service charities. Lance Preston has done further work with the dataset to get it ready use. As items from the dataset are checked for accuracy, they'll be added to the Open Street Map database, making meta info and geolocation data available to mobile app authors.
- no meetings in Nov/Dec. We plan to start meeting regularly again in January to select a new project.
- we'd like to arrange access to webhosting to deploy some civic service apps, preferably a CentOS 6 server. Either a VPS/VM like the one set up recently for Doug's curriculum software or a dedicated box. The initial app deployed will be Open Data Catalog, free software developed by civic hackers in Philadelphia.
- Steve Rainwater and Cone Johnson are continuing to network with other DFW civic hacking groups and are working toward more coordinated civic hacking events for 2014.
- Civic Hacking Committee report for Nov/Dec 2013
- Classroom Committee - John Fields
- Creative Arts Committee - Dawn Ellis
- Electronics Robotics Committee - Daniel Jackson
- Financial Committee - Paul Brown
- Foundry Committee - John Kuhlenschmidt
- Laser Committee - William Petefish
- LifeMakers Committee - Lisa Selk
- Operations and Facilities Committee - Andrew LeCody
- Photography Lab (Darkroom Committee) - Nicole LeCody
- Public Relations Committee - Cone Johnson
- Workshop Committee - Greg Needel
Note: The normal cut-off time for agenda items is the Sunday prior at 11:59pm.
DMS Spending Guidelines (Ken Purcell)
DMS should craft and adopt a spending policy to support current and future needs. Aggressive spending could force future cutbacks at critical times while under spending deprives the membership of useful tools and services that could be put to productive use. A clearly defined spending policy helps to resolve these competing goals. Continued fast membership growth cannot serve as means to ignore future financial needs.
DMS Spending Transparency (Ken Purcell)
Financial transactions must be transparent to the membership. DMS should form a financial reconciliation committee to do a yearly audit of the closed fiscal year. The committee should be made up of regular members who do not have spending authority. The committee would prepare an independent report to present to the Board of Directors and the membership.
20131114 2004 Paul B starting the meeting, with the social portion. Paul B bringing the meeting to order, 2013 3d Fabrication Committee - Andrew Falgout not present, Paul B reporting 2016 Amateur Radio Committee - Pat Hykkonen not present, Benjamin G reporting 2017 Aerospace Committee - Romeo Espana no report Automotive Committee - Luke Olson, no report 2018 Bio Committee - Andrew Floyd reporting Had first class on the 25th. Will be having a yogurt making class. Vermiculture and worm binning. 2021 Civic Hacking - Steve Rainwater reporting, report in the wiki. 2022 Classroom Committee - John Fields reporting Can send email to classroom<at>dallasmakerspace.org for needs, markers, etc. If you have any questions, or concerns, send an email. 2024 Creative Arts Committee - Dawn Ellis, Andrew Fl reporting Basic drawing classes, comic book classes, also the live drawing classes. Will be having another live drawing class soon. 2025 Electronics Robotics Committee - Daniel Jackson reporting Bought some arduinos, have some solid core hookup wire, and also fume extractors. Some questions. 2028 Financial Committee - Paul Brown reporting Powerpoint presentation 2041 Foundry Committee - John Kuhlenschmidt reporting 2043 Laser Committee - William Petefish reporting 2044 LifeMakers Committee - Lisa Selk, John G reporting Still have the grill for any events. Andrew L donated some pots and pans. 2046 Public Relations Committee - Cone Johnson, Eric C reporting SciTech Museum is having a MiniMaker fair in April 2014. 2050 Operations and Facilities Committee - Andrew LeCody The hackathon went through. 2052 Photography Lab (Darkroom Committee) - Nicole LeCody, Steve R reporting Got a donation from Steve Reeves, more equipment and some enlargers. Steve has decided to get rid of the automatic developer. 2054 Workshop Committee - Greg Needel, Paul W and John G reporting Have a new saw, a compound mitre saw. Replaces the old mitre saw and the radial arm saw. Paul W creating a proposal for a vacuum former. Discussion 2059 Prior minutes Michael C moves to accept the minutes as they stand David M seconds Vote: Aye: 24, unanimous Abs: Nay: Consent Agenda: 2059 DMS Spending Guidelines (Ken Purcell) Ken presenting the item. Discussion. John G motions to table this discussion. Paul B seconds the motion. Vote: Aye: 22 Nay: 0 Abs: 6 2122 DMS Spending Transparency (Ken Purcell) 2124 Adjournment Paul B motions for adjournement John G seconds 2125 Vote : Unanimous Yea