Regular Member Meeting 20130411

From Dallas Makerspace
Jump to: navigation, search

This meeting will be held in MIBS SRC3 format.

Time, location

19:00, Dallas Makerspace

Approval of prior minutes

Prior minutes

Officer/Committee reports



Committee Chairs


Note: The normal cut-off time for agenda items is the Sunday prior at 11:59pm.

Old business

New business

Expanding The Space (Robert Davidson)

Discuss Leasing Building in the same Bldg as DMS and Vote on if we are going to go ahead and Lease the Bldg

Project Funding Request - PowerWheels Race League (Greg Needel)

Request Project funding for the Powerwheels race league 750 for the build cost of the car and spare parts (motors, batteries, materials + mechanics. The total cost of the team will be in the 2,000 range, and we hope to solicit outside sponsorship to make up the difference although 750 will get us to the minimum requirements for participation. The team will Race in Kansas at the end of June, with members who go paying their own way. If we win in Kansas we will have the opportunity to bring the vehicle to NYC in September for the Maker Faire. This is an event which is participated in by over 30 other hackerspaces and has been featured regularly in make magazine, hackaday and other publications. This should be considered as much a public relations project as an actual build. Participating this year is the first step to hosting a race in the 2014 season.

New 3D Printing Computer (Otto)

Problem: The 3D printer would be more usable if we had a better computer for it. The current computer is giving error messages saying "out of memory" and it's an old laptop with out of date specs.

Solution: Allocate $300 to purchasing an improved laptop for the 3D printer. This amount combined with the donations which have been pledged already should be sufficient for purchasing a much better laptop.



Draft Minutes

20130411 Membership Meeting
 Visitor introductions.
 Upcoming events
 Foto Friday
 Tanners event,Robot Expo, Saturday 20130413, 1030-14
 Welding class,
 Event at WELD, digital dallas
 The Underground, next month
 Python fest
 International Table Top Day Party Saturday, Apr 27, 1100-2400

  Paul Wilson and his tachikomo project, used the Polyprintr
  David Jannke's robots, Houston Police department event he is working on
  Robert D, announcing that he'll be working on half-inch air lines routed
  Paul B, project for programming for our security/door-access-control
  Nick S, building an LED RGB chandelier
  David J, mentioning the Power Wheels event
 Quorum has not been reached. (14 out of 26)
 Action item: Andrew to send an email reminder to the group regarding quorum not being met, and to have them reconsider their status
 as voting members.
 Officer/Committee reports
  Paul B reporting
  General fund is around $11k; about 150 members
  A few committees haven't spent their allocations yet.

Committee Chairs
 Financial Committee
        All bookkeeping completed for march: 
 Operations and Facilities Committee
  Paul B, talking about the cleaners visiting the space.
  Andrew L, still setting up the PO system.
  Discussing solutions for replacing flooring.
  Currently considering both vinyl composite tile (like what's in the kitchen) or 100% solids epoxy.
  Public Relations Committee, Nick S reporting
        Testing multiple themes and working to replace DMS's current wordpress theme. 
   Possibly doing a Maker fair in Dallas
   Tanner event
   Robert D discussing
   WELD and Art/Love/Magic

 Security Committee, Andrew L reporting
  Meeting next week re: WIFI link
  Discussion about WIFI link
  New alarm system installed successfully --
 Amateur Radio Committee, Andrew L reporting
  Amateur Radio Field Day coming up, it is not on the calendar, June 22-23, Sat-Sun
 AV Committee, no report
  Planning to disband at the next board meeting, unless there are objections.
 Bio Committee, no report
 Classroom Committee, no report
 Craft Room Committee, no report
 Electronics Robotics Committee , Ralph G reporting
  May 1st, 1st wednesday of the month will have meetings
 Warehouse Committee , Paul W reporting
  Having a little better success keeping work surfaces clear
  Will be having a series of classes as an introduction to wordworking
 Photography Lab (Darkroom Committee)
 Open Source Ecology Committee
 3d Fabrication Committee, John K reporting
  Question about some electrical problems
 Life Maker Committee, no report
 Andrew L adjourns meeting