Regular Member Meeting 20130314

From Dallas Makerspace
Jump to: navigation, search

This meeting will be held in MIBS SRC3 format.

Time, location

19:00, Dallas Makerspace

Approval of prior minutes

Prior minutes

Officer/Committee reports



Committee Chairs


Note: The normal cut-off time for agenda items is the Sunday prior at 11:59pm.

Old business

New business

Modification of Standing Rules on Store and Lost and Found (Andrew LeCody)

The Storage section should be renamed "Storage / Lost and Found" and read:

  1. Individual storage areas will be available for each member:
    1. Each storage area is approximately 10"x16"x24"[3]
    2. The individual storage area is located in the warehouse
  2. Personal items left at the space will be handled by any member, according to the following rules:
    1. Do not open any personal belongings, abuse/damage items or otherwise invade the privacy of the owner.
    2. If possible, attempt to contact or discover the owner.
    3. The item should be tagged with the current date and placed in the "Lost and Found", located in the security room.
    4. If after one month the item has not been claimed, a member of the Operations and Facilites Committee can determine if the item is a donation for the Makerspace or may dispose of the item.
  3. Projects (and materials for them) can only be stored in designated project storage area, but must take up a minimum of space.
    1. When possible, place your project in a container before storing.
    2. Project storage is available in the security room and warehouse. Please use the warehouse unless the item must be stored inside.
  4. Projects must be labeled, and include the names of the members working on the project.
  5. Projects should be presented as active at the Weekly Meetings and members are urged to create a page on the wiki and place it in the Projects category.
  6. Projects can be stored in committee controlled rooms, as long as they follow the committee's guidelines and have filled out the "DMS Project Request Form" and filed it with a member of the Board of Directors.
  7. Projects and materials that do not follow these rules, will be handled accordingly:
    1. Projects will be moved to the project storage area (if possible).
    2. Unlabled projects will be tagged with the current date and a request to be labeled appropriately.
    3. The Operations and Facilites Committee will make an effort to identify the owners of the project.
    4. If the project remains unlabeled and unclaimed for more than two weeks, a member of the Operations and Facilites Committee can determine if the item is a donation for the Makerspace or may dispose of the item.
    5. Personal food items will be cleaned from the fridge on a periodic basis, with a schedule posted on the fridge.

In order to facilitate these rules, shelving will be provided in the security room and the warehouse with clear labeling that reads "Project Storage" and a copy of these rules. A lost and found area will be created in the security room and labeled appropriately. A security camera will likely be placed in the security room to reduce the risk of theft.

Modification of Standing Rules on Donations (Andrew LeCody)

Rule #1 of the Donations section should be reworded to read:

  1. Donations of usable items MUST be approved by a member of the board or the comittee in charge of the location in which the item will be stored/used.

Modification of Standing Rules on Code of Conduct (Andrew LeCody)

The Code of Conduct section should be rewritten to read:

  1. Maintain a safe and clean environment at all times.
  2. All members are required to "Be excellent to each other".
  3. Be trustworthy. Let others know what you're working on, and work to resolve any safety concerns or space use conflicts.
  4. Respect the personal property and workspace of others. Don't destroy anything that wasn't brought here to be destroyed.
  5. Don't remove tools or supplies from the space without permission from the Cribkeeper.
  6. The Dallas Makerspace does not tolerate harassment in any form.
    1. Harassment includes offensive verbal comments related to race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance; deliberate intimidation; stalking or following; harassing recording; unauthorized use of electronic devices or online accounts; sustained disruption of events or disturbance of workspaces; inappropriate physical contact; and unwelcome sexual attention.
    2. Anyone asked to stop any harassing behavior is expected to comply immediately.
  7. Follow all posted notices.



Draft Minutes

Note: draft version of meeting minutes go to the Talk Page first, upon ratifying at the *next* meeting they will be moved to the normal page.

20130314 1957
 passing around regular voting member attendance sheet
  Melvin Hall from Red Oak, TX
   Looking to start a hackerspace
  Robert Perkins
   blacksmithing; electronics
  Chris Anderson
   looking for sign language classes
  Aaron Whitaker
   photography, looking for a job
   electronics, stereos, forging, woodworking, aluminum work
  Chris Martini
   Just searched for Makerspaces
   electronics, robotics
  Door monitoring project, Paul Br  
 Andrew bringing meeting to order
Regular meeting
 25 in attendance
 Andrew L proposes to accept the prior minutes as they are
 Daniel J seconds
Vote: 20
Nays: 0
Abs: 2

Committee Chair reports
 Operations and Facilities Committee  Andrew L reporting
  Working on POs with companies like Sams
  Got vents installed in roof
  PAD for radio gear is on the root
  Laser cutter is switched to the new vent
  Action item; Andrew L will check with DPRG as to what the OReilly books in *front* of the
   bookshelves is, if they are DPRG books or not

 Financial Committee, Paul B reporting
  P&L report
   At 140 members

 Public Relations Committee, Mike E reporting
  Tyler Makerfair coming up--flyers, business cards
  May be doing another shirt run
  Requests for blog entries

 Security Committee, Andre L reporting
  Roof work; the PAD, non-penetrating roof mount
  The wifi link has been tested from ADC to Downtown Dallas

 Amateur Radio Committee, Mike E reporting
  HF tranceiver setup, details for controlling it
  Looking for sites for Field Day 2013, the last weekend in July
  it needs to be a big flat field with nothing around, it is a 24 hour event

 AV Committee, no report
 Bio Committee, no report
 Classroom Committee, Paul W reporting
  Shrinking the screen, consoles mounted beneath the screen
  Shifting the projector to the center tile
  Plans for lighting upgrades

 Craft Room Committee, John G reporting
  Talking about moving to the Bio Room's space
  Some discussion about new technology, Darcy is running that
  Mold making

 Electronics Robotics Committee, Daniel J reporting
  Oscilliscope class was a success
  Moving the rack, it is not sufficient and is week
  Getting bits for the soldering station
  Now have Metcal's on each bench; they shouldn't ever leave the room

 Warehouse Committee, Paul W reporting
  Projects going through; need a clean-up day
  The scrap wood area is in disarray
  As a group, need to crack the whip; the work surfaces are not storage
  Looking at getting a band saw soon
  Discussion about enforcing rules, signs, difficulties
  Need to get more bins from Ikea
 Photography Lab (Darkroom Committee), Andrew L reporting
  Bokeh filter last friday

 Open Source Ecology Committee, Craig F reporting
  Have had two guests from the OSE farm, joined March 1st
   Gabby was here making seed balls, but has moved
  List of ideas
   Swamp cooler, 5gal jug
   Air drop, converts air to water...
   Software defined radio
  A friend has farm equipment for sale
  MIT $400 radar, 2 coffee cans, can make radar that can see for 1 KM

 Life Makers Committee, John G reporting
 3d Fab Committee, Andrew F reporting
  Update on Rostock Max build
   Next Meeting is ??

Old Business
New business
 Modification of Standing Rules on Store and Lost and Found (Andrew LeCody)
  Discussion of item
   Andrew L proposes acceptance of the item as proposed.
   John G seconds.

Motion passes

 Modification of Standing Rules on Donations (Andrew LeCody)
  Andrew L proposes acceptance of the item as proposed.
  John G seconds

Motion passes

 Modification of Standing Rules on Code of Conduct (Andrew LeCody)
  Paul W motions that this item be tabled for next meeting
  John G seconds.


  Paul W motions to adjourn
  Kent B seconds

Meeting adjourns at 2130