Board of Directors Meeting 20130203

From Dallas Makerspace
Jump to: navigation, search

This meeting will be held in MIBS SRC3 format.

Time, location

18:00, Dallas Makerspace

Prior minutes


Officer/Committee reports

Consent Agenda

Newly proposed agenda items appear in the consent agenda. Any member present at the meeting may pull an item out of the consent agenda for discussion, at which point it goes under "New Business". If nobody objects to the solutions presented by the consent agenda, everything in the consent agenda passes by consensus. Items that have more than one proposed solution should be moved to the "New Business" section.

Any member may edit this wiki page and place an item on the consent agenda. However, discussion of agenda items should be done via the Talk Page or the mailing list. The cut-off time for addition to or revision of the the agenda's items is 48 hours prior to the meeting.

Creation of the 3D Fab Committee

Create the 3d Fabrication Committee with the following goals:

  1. Creation of 3d fabrication processes.
  2. Maintenance of 3d fabrication processes.
  3. Education of the DMS in various 3d fabrication processes.

Creation of the LifeMakers Committee

Create the LifeMakers Committee with the following goals:

  • Help members:
    1. Get in better shape.
    2. Improve overall health.
    3. Offer moral support to each-other.
    4. Set Safe & Attainable short-term and long-term goals.

Security Committee Funds (Andrew LeCody)

The security committee is requesting $400 in order to:

  • Purchase a new router - To replace the loaned equipment.
  • Purchase a vertical wall mount - To replace the large server cabinet.
  • Purchase additional equipment for a new access control system with integration into MOTHER and the alarm system.

Ops Committee Funds (Andrew LeCody)

The operations committee is requesting an allocation of $400 for the purchase of equipment to better ventilate the laser cutter.

Buy Security System Monitoring Service (Paul Brown)

Problem: In order to get activate the theft coverage on our insurance policy, we need to buy monitoring service for our alarm system.

Solution: Allocate $300 to buy alarm monitoring service through (which should only cost 251.44). This price includes a year of monitoring service and a module to monitor our alarm system over the internet (which is required and cheaper than buying a phone line). More Info

Warehouse Committee Funds (Robert)

The Warehouse committee is requesting $150 a month allocation in order to:

  • Purchase a various tools and supplies
  • Safety Gear
  • Petty Cash

Operations Committee Allocation (Robert)

The Operations committee is requesting $260 one time allocation in order to:

Craftroom Committee Chairman Change (Nicole)

Nicole LeCody is stepping down as Craftroom Chairman and Doug Emes will be stepping up as Chairman.

Creation of Project Fund

Problem: There are many cool group projects that could be done at the space but have trouble starting due to members having to pay out of pocket or have the project approved and funds allocated at a meeting. This stalls progress on projects that could be highly beneficial to Public Relations and member retention.

Solution: Create a "Project Fund" under the descretion of the President and allocate $500 to the fund. This will allow our president (currently Andrew LeCody) to solicit greater participation in makerspace projects. The fund will not have an automatic allocation and must be re-funded at a board or membership meeting. Ideally, additional funds will be allocated when the existing funds run out and only if the fund is shown to have merit.

PR Committee Chairman Change (Nicole)

Nicole LeCody is stepping down as PR Committee Chairman and Nick Sainz will be stepping up as Chairman

Electronics and Robotics Room Committee Chairman Change (Haskins)

John Haskins is stepping down as Electronics and Robotics Committee Chairman and David Fenyes will be stepping up as Chairman, Daniel Jackson will be sub-chair.

Old business

These are the issues that remained unresolved from the last meeting. In a perfect meeting, there is no old business.

New business

Treasurer (Haskins)

I would like to appoint Paul Brown the new Treasurer.


20130203 1812  BOD Minutes

Andrew L, Nicole L, John H, Robert D, Peter S

Andrew L calling meeting to order

Approval of previous minutes

Consent Agenda

Pulling Security Committee Funds (Andrew LeCody)

Pulling Ops Committee Funds (Andrew LeCody)

Pulling Warehouse Committee Funds (Robert)

Pulling Craftroom Committee Chairman Change (Nicole)

Pulling Creation of Project Fund


 Financial committee, John Haskins
  $8824.05, based on updating this morning in General Fund
  Total assets $24783.27
   Discussion about filing the 990; The work will be performed after this meeting.
 PR committee, Nicole L Reporting
  Middle school event coming up, we have members handling it.
  Discussion re: what PR actually does
  Discussion about potential Corporate Sponsorship
 Security Committee, Andrew L
  Would like to get rid of the server cabinet
  Action item, turn off access point that is inside the Microtik Router.
 Amateur Radio Committee, Andrew L
  Long-range wifi link to be tested next Saturday (20130209)
 AV Committee, No report
 Bio Committee, Robert Davidson
  Purchased two new shelves
 Classroom committee, Andrew L.
  John F got a new HDMI receiver (AV), it should be able 
  Question, where is the documentation camera? It is currently in the security room.
 Craftroom Committee, Nicole L.
  No report.
 Electronics and Robotics Committee, David F (John H reporting)
  Grand plans for documenting the equipment, maintenance manuals, owners of equipment
  Questions for John? None
 Operations and Facilities Committee, Andrew F
  Discussion about the alarm system
  Soap Dispensers installed
  Merchandiser is installed
 Warehouse Committee, Paul Brown
  Air compressor, 3 phase power, etc.  The air compressor has been sold.
 Photography Lab, Nicole L.
  Will be doing a Foto Fridays event. Recurring night to do fun projects, develop, has a list of events, on weekends and weeknights
   for digital and analog cameras.
  Andrew L came up with "FotoFriday"
 Ecology Committee, Craig F (not present, no report)
 Old Business
  Discussion about cleaning people
   Ops Committee will look into options.
1914 (return from break)
 New Business
  New Treasurer
   John H, proposes that Paul Brown be appointed as the new Treasurer.
   Andrew H Seconds
 Aye: 5, unanimous
 Nays: 0
 Abs: 0

 Pulled Consent Agenda
  Pulling Security Committee Funds (Andrew LeCody)
   Discussion about the assets and funds available to the committee.
   Andrew L proposes the DMS 'loan' $400 to the Security Committee to be paid back within 3 months time.
   Nicole L.
 Aye: 5
 Nay: 0
 Abs: 0
   Motion passes.
  Pulling Ops Committee Funds (Andrew LeCody) (Frickin Lazor Beems)
   Discussion re: agenda item.
   Andrew L proposes that $400 be allocated to the Ops Committee for laser improvements.
   Seconded by Robert D.
 Aye: 5
 Nays: 0
 Abs: 0
  Pulling Warehouse Committee Funds (Robert)
   Andrew L proposes that a $200 one-time allocation and a $50 recurring allocation be made to the Warehouse Committee.
   Seconded by Robert D.
 Aye: 3
 Nays: 1
 Abs: 1
 Motion passes.
  Pulling Craftroom Committee Chairman Change (Nicole)
   Nicole L proposes that Doug Emes be appointed to the chair of the Craftroom Committee.
   Seconded by Andrew L.
 Aye:  4
 Nays: 0
 Abs: 1
 Motion passes.
  Pulling Creation of Project Fund
   John H. proposes that we authorize $100 per month per board member to be spent at their discretion.
 Aye: 5
 Nays: 0
 Abs: 0  

2018 Meeting break

Complaints were considered.  The board is taking action.
Action item for Andrew L, will be sending the board an email response to the complaints.


John H, new business
 Scheduling of board meetings
 Andrew L proposes that it be added to the Board of Directors meeting procedure that the Board schedule the next meeting at the end of the current meeting.
 John H seconds

 Aye: 5
 Nays: 0
 Abs: 0

  Andrew L proposes that the board schedule the next Board of Directors election to begin on Mar 7 at 7pm and end Mar 14 at 7pm, with Statements of Intent required to be posted on the wiki by Feb 28 at 7pm.
  Seconded by Peter

 Aye: 5
 Abs: 0
  Action iteam for Andrew L; will send out the notices for voting and synapsis for board meeting.

  Andrew L (president) says the next board of directors meeting is scheduled for Feb 24, 6pm. (Action item)

 Andrew L adjourns meeting at 2124