Board of Directors Meeting 20121125
This meeting will be held in MIBS SRC3 format.
- 1 Time, location
- 2 Prior minutes
- 3 Officer/Committee reports
- 4 Consent Agenda
- 4.1 Donation spending clarification (John Haskins)
- 4.2 Electrical Overspending (Paul Brown)
- 4.3 Default Project Expiration (Kent Bowling)
- 4.4 Reallocations (John Haskins & Paul Brown)
- 4.5 Various Amendments to the Standing Rules (Andrew LeCody)
- 4.6 Allocation To Security Committee (Andrew LeCody)
- 4.7 PLA Plastic Order (AF - Andrew Falgout)
- 5 Old business
- 6 New business
- 6.1 CNC Laser System (Andrew LeCody)
- 6.2 Reallocation Procedures (Kent Bowling)
- 6.3 Insurance (Robert Davidson)
- 6.4 Cleaning Crew (Robert Davidson)
- 6.5 Bylaw Amendment (Greg Needel)
- 6.6 Creation and/or Clarification of rules in regards to firearms and ammunition (William Petefish)
- 6.7 Creation and/or Clarification of rules in regards to service animals (William Petefish)
- 7 Minutes
18:00, Dallas Makerspace
Talk:Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20121014 Note: To-be-ratified.
- Financial Committee - John Haskins will report on the status of our finances.
- Public Relations Committee - Nicole Greeley will report on the status of the PR Committee's programs.
- Security Committee - Andrew LeCody will report on the status of the security system and network infrastructure.
- Amateur Radio Committee - Pat Hykkonen
- AV Committee - Chris Kirby
- Bio Committee - David Rostcheck
- Classroom Committee - John Fields
- Craft Room Committee - Nicole Greeley
- Electronics Robotics Committee - John Haskins
- Operations and Facilities Committee - Andrew LeCody
- Received Hot Work Permit
- Warehouse Committee - Paul Wilson
- Photography Lab (Darkroom Committee) - Nicole Greeley
- Open Source Ecology Committee - Craig MacPherson
Newly proposed agenda items appear in the consent agenda. Any member present at the meeting may pull an item out of the consent agenda for discussion, at which point it goes under "New Business". If nobody objects to the solutions presented by the consent agenda, everything in the consent agenda passes by consensus. Items that have more than one proposed solution should be moved to the "New Business" section.
Any member may edit this wiki page and place an item on the consent agenda. However, discussion of agenda items should be done via the Talk Page or the mailing list. The cut-off time for addition to or revision of the the agenda's items is 48 hours prior to the meeting.
Donation spending clarification (John Haskins)
Issue: The policy for spending moneys donated to the makerspace is currently unclear, especially when there is a mix of allocations from general funds and donations.
Solution: Add a rule to standing rules stating that donations to a project are only spent on that project and are spent prior to any DMS allocated money to the same project. If the project is deemed unsuccessful all remaining funds will be returned to the source. Allocated money will be returned to the source fund, if more overages remain the money will be returned to the contributor in proportion to their donation. If the project is deemed successful, accomplishing the stated goal, any unspent allocations will be returned to the committee fund in charge of the project, unspent donations will be returned the contributors according to the proportion of the donation.
Electrical Overspending (Paul Brown)
Issue: $361.20 in overspending occurred when electrical work was done on the warehouse in August.
Solution: Authorize the spending of $361.20 from the general fund already spent on electrical work.
Default Project Expiration (Kent Bowling)
Issue: Currently, projects that are funded by members or by board allocated funds will have funds allocated indefinitely. We currently have projects that have had money allocated to them for over a year with no activity. This ties up this money and doesn't allow it to be used until it is noticed by someone and approved by the board to be reallocated.
Solution: Declare a default project length of 6 months, unless another length is specifically asked for during the project creation, after which funds will revert to the General Fund.
Reallocations (John Haskins & Paul Brown)
Issue: Funds allocated to specific dead projects are restricting funds which could be used for other purposes.
Solution: The board reallocates the following:
- Build-Out $53.12
- Furniture $225.00
- Nest Thermostat $50
- HF Radio Equip $25.25
- Cabinet Saw $300
Total reallocation: $653.37 returned to general fund.
Various Amendments to the Standing Rules (Andrew LeCody)
Remove rule #3 under Members section:
All Members must have a picture on file.
Add rule under Guests section:
Guests are not allowed to use tools and equipment
Add rules under Storage section:
Projects can be stored in committee controlled rooms, as long as they follow the committee's guidelines. Projects and materials that do not follow these rules are assumed to be donations to the Makerspace and will be handled accordingly.
Allocation To Security Committee (Andrew LeCody)
Allocate $300 to Security Committee for upgrades to network infrastructure, including but not limited to wireless access points, router, and cabling.
PLA Plastic Order (AF - Andrew Falgout)
Issue: Some members of DMS are doing a group buy of PLA plastic (and getting a discount) and DMS's 3d printer needs plastic. (AF)
We (the DMS) currently have access to a working SeeMeCNC 3D printer. There have also been discussions of making a PrintrBot/Prusa Mendel/other printer for the space. Current RepRap owners have often been tapped for making custom parts for DMS members, using their own machines and filament to make them. (MWC - Mike Churchill)
The bulk order that Andrew is organizing will allow us to purchase PLA much cheaper than typical retail. We are currently over the 100 lb limit which will give us the best price, but it would be good to purchase filament for member's use on the DMS printer. I feel this is a very good deal and one the DMS should jump on. (MWC)
This deal: $11.90/lb with free shipping
Ultimachine $19.20/lb ($96 for 5lb spool) + shipping.
MakerBot $21.81/lb (or $48 for 1 Kg) + shipping. Solution: Allocate $75 for the purchase of PLA plastic for DMS's 3d printer. (AF)
These are the issues that remained unresolved from the last meeting. In a perfect meeting, there is no old business.
These are the issues from the consent agenda that were pulled out for discussion. In a perfect meeting, there is no new business.
CNC Laser System (Andrew LeCody)
Issue: Per the online vote, the membership have selected the "Pro Mid Size - 120W - 24x36 - $12,670" as their choice for our new CNC laser. No funds were authorized during this vote, however some money has been donated ($875) towards the purchase of the laser.
Solution 1 (Andrew): Authorize enough additional funding ($11,795.00) to purchase the CNC laser system.
Solution 2 (John): Authorize the purchase of the CNC laser cutter once a sufficient money is in the general fund ($11,795.00).
Solution 3 (John): Authorize the purchase of the CNC laser cutter when the general fund has sufficient funds as well as a safety buffer (of $3500) to ensure uninterrupted service ($15,295).
Solution 4 (Paul Brown): Authorize the acquisition of a credit card with sufficient credit limit and 0% APR (for 6 months) to temporarily cover the difference between available general funds and the laser purchase ($1000).
Reallocation Procedures (Kent Bowling)
Issue: When projects expire and not all of the funds have been spent, the money needs to be reallocated. If the money is not reallocated, we have funds sitting around doing nothing (not even drawing a very measly interest). We can't simply move that money back to the General Fund, since we would have members donating money which was eventually spent for something else. This is potentially considered fraudulent.
Solution: When a project expires, we need to follow a defined procedure for giving money back to everyone who donated or funded it (including board allocated money). Everyone should be compensated based upon their percentage of the total amount raised applied to the remaining amount of money. For example if a person donated $50, $500 was raised, and we spent $400, that person should receive $10 ($50/$500 = 10%, $500-$400 = $100 remaining, 10% of $100 = $10). Donations from individuals should be placed into an accounts payable accounting entry and the member should be asked what they want to do with that money. They can be reimbursed with a check or elect to donate their money back to the General Fund or any other active project they choose. Board allocated money that is reimbursed should be put back into the General Fund. Board allocated money is effectively dealt with just like any other donation, but the "user" automatically elects to donate the money to the General Fund.
Insurance (Robert Davidson)
Issue: We have been notified that our current insurance policy would likely not cover us due to the nature of our activities at the DMS. I am proposing we get a new policy and remove the old policy.
Solution: Remove our current policy and get a Pro Rated Refund of our policy and use that money and general funds to pay for a new insurance policy that covers DMS Activities the cost of this Policy is Approx 2,600$ hundred dollars I will attach a quote as soon as I get the updated Policy for this time period.
Cleaning Crew (Robert Davidson)
Issue: In my Opinion the Current Cleaning Crew need's to be replaced (specifically dealing with the Bathrooms I have yet to see the bathroom floor cleaned over the course of 2-3 Months) The Cleaning crew has been paid up front for another month so I propsose that we have a new cleaning crew picked out by Jan 01 2013
Solution: Cancel current Auto-Payment to Julio then Find a Replacement company that will offer the same services +- 20 Dollars a cleaning and reestablish auto payment
Solution 2: (John Haskins) Talk to the current cleaning crew and express our displeasure with the current state, ask for what we'd like to be done.
Bylaw Amendment (Greg Needel)
Issue: I propose the following amendment as an addition to Article 7 - Fiscal Matters
Add to Bylaws:
Outside Financing -
The Corporation may not apply for or receive outside financing (ie. Banks, Private loans, or any source where the corporation is required to pay interest or a finance charge) for the sole purpose of capital purchases (ie. Equipment, vehicles, materials or any other tangible item) for use by the corporation, Except in the situation where voted upon by 2/3 of the eligible voting membership.
Reasoning and Rational:
In light of the recent discussions about the laser cutter where numerous options were presented which are beyond the amount of money which the Space currently has to spend Financing has been frequently talked about. Numerous justifications have been presented but mainly the rational of "affording something bigger and better" and "building a credit history" have become used. Over the past 2 years the membership has continued to grow and as such so has our cash flow which in turn increases our buying power. The amount is directly proportional to membership and is a good indicator of how strong the organization is. I believe that the on hand cash should be the limitation of our purchasing power due to that relationship between membership and cash flow While a good amount of money in the bank opens the options for financing there is a fundamental issue of uncertainty with income directly linked to membership numbers. We have continued to grow in membership month over month, but we have also lost a significant number of people also, while it is likely membership will continue to increase it is impossible to predict fluctuations in membership, which can be highly problematic for financing. One small financed item such as the laser may be manageable, it sets a precedent to consider more and more larger equipment without regards to long term implications.
Another issue that exists is the violation of the general rule about being able to walk away if the organization needs to fold for whatever reason,(An example of this was the need to keep $10,000 in the bank in order to cover the breaking lease fees). While technically speaking depending on the terms the debt could disappear if no person has to co-sign, it is fiscally irresponsible to dump debit. I also feel that it is unlikely that we will be able to get financing without having someone individually co-sign for the financing which leads to my last point. Board members should not be required to personally guarantee any financial transaction, while some may be willing this limiting fact may 1) prevent interested parties from running and taking a position on the board and 2) present a situation where the financial security no longer is placed on the board, if a person who has guaranteed funds leaves the board or group.
In order to leave the option on the table I included the statement of a 2/3 membership vote, which is the largest conscious that can be asked for, and is a challenging approval process but if the right opportunity warrants financing it does leave the option open.
I hope the board carefully looks at my amendment and chooses to go forward with it's implementation. I strongly believe that this is something that the general membership with will support and it sets us up to make good financial decisions moving forward.
Creation and/or Clarification of rules in regards to firearms and ammunition (William Petefish)
Issue: In recent months the space has authorized reloading of ammunition. I feel that the current rules regarding the storage and transportation of reloaded ammo as well as and not limited to firearms and gun cleaning supplies should be clarified to reflect the current allowances of such materials.
It has also been brought to my attention that a "Flammables" storage area needs to be created in one location or another for the storage of smokeless powder for reloading, black powder for reloading, and other flammable chemicals around the space. Preferably in the warehouse, BUT it could also be neer to the reloading bench.
Solution: I propose that the rules be clarified to reflect the current environment in which firearms are allowed but are to be kept -UNLOADED- at all times unless there is an immediate threat. Exceptions to this rule include Concealed Carry permit holders and in case of immediate threat.
A "Flammables" box should be created, preferably out of wood or other material that would be heavy to move and be not able to create a spark under any situation. Said box should have either a combination lock or a keyed lock that members can apply for a key and/or ask for access. Said box should also be stored away from any sparks and/or metal working areas.
Creation and/or Clarification of rules in regards to service animals (William Petefish)
Issue: The current regulations prohibit any animals in the space. However, service animals cannot under law be discriminated against. This could result in the space getting a fine for every violation of $300.
Solution: Create a rule that mirrors the current applicable laws on a local, state, and federal level allowing for the use of service animals.
20121125 Minutes Andrew L bringing meeting to order 1821 In Attendance: Robert Davidson, John Haskins, Andrew LeCody, Nicole Greeley LeCody, Peter Smith Consent Agenda Pulled for discussion: Donation spending clarification (John Haskins) Default Project Expiration (Kent Bowling) Reallocations (John Haskins & Paul Brown) Various Amendments to the Standing Rules (Andrew LeCody) Allocation To Security Committee (Andrew LeCody) PLA Plastic Order (AF - Andrew Falgout) 1824 New Business CNC Laser system - Discussion regarding options or questions about credit card Andrew L proposes that the board accept Option 3; John H seconds; Vote: Aye 5 Nay 0 Abstain 0 1838 Donation spending clarification (John Haskins) Default Project Expiration (Kent Bowling) Reallocations (John Haskins & Paul Brown) - Discussion of the three items as one 1850 1900 Action item: John Haskins to add explanations and examples for this (Finance stuff). Action item: Joe Southwell will collect a group of random people to create a Project Template. Andrew L proposes that we use the text from the solution part of "Donation spending clarification (John Haskins)" as it stands. Items "Default Project Expiration (Kent Bowling)" and "Reallocations (John Haskins & Paul Brown)" will be covered by this proposal. John H seconds. Vote: Aye:5 Nay:0 Abs:0 1911 Insurance (Robert Davidson) - Discussion of Insurance Andrew L proposes acceptance, authorization of $3800 for funds to cover purchase of the proposed insurance policies. Nicole L seconds Vote: Aye: 5 Nay: 0 Abs:0 1933 5 minute recess 1942 Cleaning Crew (Robert Davidson) - Discussion Andrew L proposes that the Ops committee contact the cleaning company to discuss the level of service. Robert D seconds Vote: Aye: 5 Nay: 0 Abs: 0 1949 Bylaw Amendment (Greg Needel) - Discussion Andrew L proposes that the board decline this amendment to the ByLaws and that this item potentially be brought before the membership, as provided by number 3 of Article 13. Robert D seconds. Vote: 5 Nay: 0 Abs: 0 2002 Creation and/or Clarification of rules in regards to firearms and ammunition (William Petefish) - Discussion Andrew L proposes that the Standing Rules be amended such that firearms, gunpowder, primers, and assembled ammunition can not be stored at the Makerspace. Nicole seconds Vote: Aye: 4 Nay: 1 Abs: 0 2018 Creation and/or Clarification of rules in regards to service animals (William Petefish) - Discussion John H proposes that no rule be made in regards to this item. No objections. 2021 Various Amendments to the Standing Rules (Andrew LeCody) - Discussion of "Add rule under Guests section:" 2033 Andrew L proposes that we replace Rule #4 of Section 3, Guests, in Rules and Policies, with "Guests are not allowed to use tools and equipment without member supervision", and to add the provision that "Members are responsible for their Guests" as Rule #5 of Section 3, Guests. John H seconds. Vote: Aye: 5 2035 Various Amendments to the Standing Rules (Andrew LeCody) - Discussion of "Remove rule #3 under Members section:" Andrew L proposes "Remove rule #3 under Members section" Robert D seconds. Voting: Aye: 5 2037 - Discussion of "Add rules under Storage section:" Andrew L proposes acceptance of this item, written as follows: Projects can be stored in committee controlled rooms, as long as they follow the committee's guidelines. Projects and materials that do not follow these rules, will be tagged with a date two weeks out, after which they will be donations to the Makerspace and will be handled accordingly. Nicole seconds. Aye: 5 Nay: 0 Abs: 0 2048 2102 re-convening Allocation To Security Committee (Andrew LeCody) - Discussion Andrew L proposes to accept as written, the intent being that the funds be spent on network infrastructure. Robert D seconds. Voting: Aye: 4 Nays: 0 Abs: 1 2110 PLA Plastic Order (AF - Andrew Falgout) Andrew L asks for objections for moving on; no objections. 2113 New Business Orientation packet, class, and/or video - Discussion Action item: Nicole Greeley LeCody needs to compile the button items that need to be addressed when new members are signed on. Food cart/buffet tray, warmer. - Discussion 2130 Committees - Discussion John H proposes that all committees have a sub-chair appointed by the chairperson. Andrew L seconds. Voting: Aye: 5 2139 Andrew L proposes that the allocation of $200 be re-allocated from the AV committee to the General Fund. Robert D seconds. Voting: Aye: 3 Nays: 1 Abs: 1 2141 Credit cards and aquisition of them. - Discussion 2145 2154 Andrew L proposes the board authorize a Makerspace application for a credit card with Robert Davidson as a gaurantor. Peter S seconds. Voting: Aye: 3 Nay: 0 Abs: 1 Robert D recusing himself. 2200 2210 John H proposes two new Standing rules: - No authorization or allocation can be made in excess of the moneys available in the General Fund. - The Board in its exclusive pervue is able to allocate moneys from a line of credit into the General Fund. Andrew L seconds Voting: Aye: 5 Nay: Abs: 2219 Committee Reports Financial Committee - John H reporting PR Committee - Nicole G L reporting Dec 9 Christmas party Security Committee - Andrew L reporting New funds allocated; improvements Amateur Radio Committee - Andrew L reporting Class is completing; AV Committee - no report 2233 Bio Committee - no report Classroom Committee - Nicole G L reporting Craft Room Committee - Nicole G L reporting Crafts have been occurring. 2235 Electronics Robotics Committee - John Haskins reporting Internal voting for new chair person is in progress. 2237 Operations and Facilities Committee - Andrew LeCody New door in the middle; More paper towels; Have hot work permit 2240 Warehouse Committee - Paul Wilson Ed K is performing lots of work Air compressor does not go behind the saw 2243 Photography Lab (Darkroom Committee) - Nicole Greeley No report Open Source Ecology Committee - No report Andrew L adjourns meeting. 2244