Board of Directors Meeting 20120722
This meeting will be held in MIBS SRC3 format.
- 1 Time, location
- 2 Prior minutes
- 3 Officer/Committee reports
- 4 Consent Agenda
- 5 Old business
- 6 New business
- 7 Minutes
18:00, Dallas Makerspace
- Financial Committee - John Haskins will report on the status of our finances.
- Public Relations Committee - Nicole Greeley will report on the status of the PR Committee's programs.
- Security Committee - Andrew LeCody will report on the status of the security system and network infrastructure.
- Amateur Radio Committee - Pat Hykkonen
- AV Committee - Chris Kirby
- Bio Committee - David Rostcheck
- Classroom Committee - John Fields
- Craft Room Committee - Nicole Greeley
- Electronics Robotics Committee - John Haskins
- Operations and Facilities Committee - Andrew LeCody
- Warehouse Committee - Paul Wilson
- Photography Lab (Darkroom Committee) - Nicole Greeley
- Open Source Ecology Committee - Craig MacPherson
Newly proposed agenda items appear in the consent agenda. Any member present at the meeting may pull an item out of the consent agenda for discussion, at which point it goes under "New Business". If nobody objects to the solutions presented by the consent agenda, everything in the consent agenda passes by consensus. Items that have more than one proposed solution should be moved to the "New Business" section.
Any member may edit this wiki page and place an item on the consent agenda. However, discussion of agenda items should be done via the Talk Page or the mailing list. The cut-off time for addition to or revision of the the agenda's items is 48 hours prior to the meeting.
After a year in the current location we should have a good idea of the expenses and can form a standing budget.
Proposed Budget page created on the wiki, Financial Committee will be responsible for it's upkeep, and make this final upon approval.
Bill Payment Automation
Bills are currently paid after we receive them in the mail, occasionally this is delayed due to various factors. It also puts a burden on the Treasurer to collect the mail and pay the bills in a timely manner.
Once a budget is agreed upon payments can be automated so without intervention they are simply paid at the budgeted amount. This amount may exceed the currently due amount creating a buffer for future bill over our budgeted amount. I propose we make one month's additional payment to at least the variable bills to ensure no interruption in service could occur and reduce stress.
Close out old accounts
Money is currently allocated to projects that are not in progress or have been completed.
Appropriate that money back into general fund for future allocations.
Propose the appropriation of the remaining $53.12 from Build-out project fund and $225.00 from Furniture fund (allocated for the wall mount for the lounge tv) back into the general fund and close these accounts.
Additional debit card
The two current debit cards we have are used but if those two people are unavailable the only option is for a member to make the purchase and seek reimbursement. This process can take some time and introduces financial stress on those making purchases.
Propose we get an additional debit card with the name "Procurement Department", and create a new deputy office to the Treasurer that is able to make purchases directly from the main account. Other committees can then come to the procurement officer to get purchases made and spend their committee funds without requiring reimbursement. An appropriate member can then join the financial committee and be appointed to be this officer.
These are the issues that remained unresolved from the last meeting. In a perfect meeting, there is no old business.
These are the issues from the consent agenda that were pulled out for discussion. In a perfect meeting, there is no new business.
Equipment Loan Policy
On occasion members have requested to borrow DMS equipment for off-site projects.
A policy should be discussed and decided that would allow or deny a member the ability to do this and if allowed a procedure for doing so and tracking loaned equipment.
20120722 Attending Andrew L, Robert D, John H, Peter S
18:08 calling meeting to order Prior minutes.
Approved acceptance of draft prior minutes
18:08 Financial committee report, John Haskins - Going from memory - About $2500 unallocated for Ops budget. - Updated the books to orient towards committees; - Now been a year in this space; put a budget out on the wiki for review (to be discussed later)
18:10 PR Committee report, Andrew LeCody _Nicole absesnt) - $100 or so allocated to it - Business cards to be printed - Postcards to be printed
18:11 Security com. Andrew LeCody, Robert Davidson - Security cameras are live. - Still have 2 more cameras to mount. - Upgrading router to Untangle - Have 3 cisco's currently, do not support WPA2-AES = Potential solutions are: Maybe go to WPA-TKIP, or go to open WLAN - Now has about $950 budget remaining (allocated to turrets) - Wireless: Had a meeting this past Monday with the DALLAS REACT and DALLAS RADIO GROUP = REACT will allow access to the tower downtown; performing a 2 team test link from ADC-to-TOWER-to-DMS, hoping to perform test withing the next few weeks. - Contract would include the extra link to DARC from downtown. - Paul Brown discussing the off-site image storage for sec. cameras.
18:18 Amateur Radio Committee, no questions, no representative present
18:18 Bio Committte, Mark Havens - Report on new aquaponics setup.
18:19 Classroom Committee
18:19 Craftroom Committee
18:19 Electronics/Robotics Committee, John Haksins - Possibly moving rack from kichen to room.
18:21 Ops and Fac Committee Andrew LeCody - Most lights are pretty much working; have budget to fix, still some to be replaced. - Making snack runs - Robert Davidson; mentioning process to be non-tax with Costco, also card for Costco that is $50/month. Will find out more details about whether we can get a space-related card w/o any specific person. - Discussing the e-waste box and pallet. - The keyfob has been delivered to the cleaners as of today/yesterday.
18:25 Warehouse committee, Andrew LeCody - Electrical contractor was unable to come out Saturday, although it was scheduled.
18:27 Photography Lab, Andrew LeCody in lieu of Nicole - The recent photoprocessing meeting went off without a hitch.
18:28 Opensource Ecology Not report
18:28 Consent Agenda -Discussion about. -Pulling "Additional debit card" out of consent agenda; all other agenda items pass without objection.
18:33 Discussion on "Additional debit card" -Andrew LeCody proposees to amend the Solution to the following
'Propose we get an additional debit card with the name "Procurement Department", and create a new deputy office to the Treasurer that is able to make purchases directly from the main account. Other committees can then come to the procurement officer to get purchases made and spend their committee funds without requiring reimbursement. An appropriate member can then join the financial committee and be appointed to be this officer. An additional debit card will be prepared to be used by the President.'
Seconded by Robert D.
Vote: 4/4 Nays: 0 Absent: 1 Abstain: 0 Passes.
18:40 Old Business, empty
18:41 New Business - John Haskins proposes that Paul Brown be appointed to be the Procurement officer. Seconded by Andrew LeCody. Vote: 4/4 Nays: 0 Absent: 1 Abstain: 0
18:43 - "Equipment Loan Policy" - Andrew LeCody proposes that this Agenda Item be tabled and brought before the Membership on the Mailing List. (18:49) Robert Davidson seconds
Vote: 3/4 Nays: 1 Absent: 1 Abstain: 0 Passes.
18:53 Mike Eber - Asking that DMS aquire a Square reader, and provide a subscription for its use. = Action item made for the Financial Committee to discuss and provide a solution to give the Membership access to (non-Paypal) credit card payments.
18:58 Robert Davidson - Asking to drop AT&T DSL, and switch the TWC. Currently paying about $74 monthly for AT&T DSL. - Robert D Proposes "Research the current status of the AT&T DSL contract and if we can cancel this contract that we do so and sign up for the yearly contract TWC Business class cable at $100 monthly and $150 setup fee (excluding and fees.)" - Seconded by John H Vote: 4/4 Nays: 0 Absent: 1 Abstain: 0 Passes.
- Andrew L proposes to schedule next board meeting, August 26 Robert D seconds. Vote: 4/4 Nays: 0 Absent: 1 Abstain: 0 Passes.
19:12 Andrew L adjourns.