Open House 2011
This event has been completed.
This page will remain here to serve as a record of the event.
Dallas Makerspace is holding an open house to introduce the public to our space and the projects we've worked on this year. Projects like high voltage machines, experimental art, 3D printing, lasers, crafts, film and digital photography, and biology. Everyone (that means you!) should come out and meet us, see our space and our tools, and sit in on a few demonstrations. If you've never visited a hackerspace, now's your chance to find out what goes on and get in on the fun. Thanks to some generous donations we also have some contests and prizes lined up. And we're planning a raffle for a year membership to the Dallas Makerspace worth $600 (1 raffle ticket for $10, 2 for $15, 3 for $20).
- When: Saturday, November 5, 2011, from Noon until Midnight
- Where: Dallas Makerspace, 2995 Ladybird Ln, Dallas, TX 75220 Google Maps
- RSVP: If you're on Facebook, you can RSVP and share the event with your friends!
Here are a few of the project you'll be able to check out if you come to our open house.
- Near Space Balloon - Andrew LeCody, Leland Flynn, Bryan Smith, Mike Eber
- Mame Cabinet - Joe Southwell, Eric Chaney
- Traveling Arc aka Jacob's ladder - Steve Rainwater
- Found art Robots - Steve Rainwater
- R2D2 replica, 1:1 scale, made from metal - Glenn Pipe
- Large paper press for handmade paper - Nicole Greeley
- Handmade jewelry - Nicole Greeley
- Flower press - Nicole Greeley
- Portable CNC Cart - Ben Bangerter
- Remote will-call machine - Mike Eber
|1:00 pm - 2:00 pm||Sew by Numbers||Hands-on sewing class by Haley Moore (min age 10 please)|
|2:00 pm - 3:00 pm||Making plastic look like Metal||demo by Zac Freer|
|3:30 pm||Lampwork Demo||Learn how to making glass beads using open flame and glass rods.|
|4:00 pm - 5:00 pm||McGyver Olympics||Test your geek skills by completing a McGyveresque challenge (and win a prize!)|
|6:00 pm - 7:00 pm||DIY Pinhole camera||build a camera, shoot a photo, and develop the film|
|1:00 pm - 5:00 pm (on the hour)||Strawberry DNA Extraction||extract DNA from strawberries in the Bio Room|
- Darkroom tours - Nicole Greeley, Steve Rainwater, Steve Reeves
- Vintage, toy, and lomo Cameras / Photography exhibit - Nicole Greeley, Steve Rainwater, Steve Reeves
- Cutting various things with our CNC Laser
- The North Texas Electric Auto Association will be demoing some of their custom built electric cars.
- Make your own blinking robot badge - Learn to solder, by making a blinking robot badge that you get to keep (it's free but a small donation to cover our costs wouldn't be turned down).
- Brazing / Soldering - watch, ask question, or give it a try yourself - Paul Wilson
- Hot-cutting styrene - Doug Emes
- Blacksmithing demo
- Non-Newtonian Fluids - When is a liquid not a liquid? When it's a non-Newtonian fluid!!! Can a penny float? Yes!!! Come and check out the BEST science experiment ever!! So much fun to play with, you almost forget it's science!
- Sony Aibo - Gus Reiter
- LEGO Robots - Eric Chaney
- Microscopy - Ongoing in the Bio Room, we have two microscopes up with prepared slides to investigate