Plastics and Composites Interest Group
The Plastics and Composites Special Interest Group is a group of DMS members who are interested in fabricating items from plastics and/or composites. In all cases, the use of the word Plastics on this page generally refers to plastics and all related composites.
This SIG is under the purview of the Machine Shop Committee, which helps to enable the SIG's activities.
Current Group Leader is Nick Silva (@nicksilva on TALK).
- 1 Plastics and Composites Group Goals
- 2 How To Join
- 3 Members
- 4 Tools and Supplies
- 5 Rules and Safety
- 6 Discussion
- 7 Reference Materials
Plastics and Composites Group Goals
- Maintain the quality of our existing tools by regularly monitoring the resources in the Plastics area of the Machine Shop.
- Train Members on the safe and proper use of our tools during introduction to Plastics and Composites related classes.
- Acquire tools as the opportunity arises and funds are available.
- Encourage safe fabrication by offering skills based project classes.
How To Join
The Plastics and Composites group is open to all DMS members. Some tools are dangerous and will have Training and Age requirement or both. Add your name, in alphabetic order, to the "Members" section of this wiki page along with your TALK handle to receive specific group messages.
Nick Silva, Group Lead (@nicksilva)
Tools and Supplies
Planned tools for the initial outfitting of the Plastics area are as follows:
- DRILL / DRILLPRESS - this is available in the Machine Shop.
- CHOP SAW - this will be on a foldable Contractor's cart.
- BANDSAW - A dedicated bandsaw with the appropriate blade for plastics.
- ROUTER & TABLE - A trim router with follower bearing for cleaning up edges.
- DUST COLLECTOR - Plastics generate static and cling to everything. A dedicated dust collector to capture the shavings/dust generated by the saw and router will be available.
- VACUUM FORMER - The DMS owned vacuum former will be moved into this area.
- ACRYIC BENDER - The DMS owned acrylic bender will be moved into this area.
Additional tools and resources which we plan to be available will include:
- HACKSAW / JIGSAW
- PIPE CLAMPS
- POLISHING TORCH
- Plastics adhesives
- Plastics Polishing compounds
- Styrene sheets for purchase for use with the vacuum former
- There are DMS tools that are already available for use in the fabrication of plastics. Most can be found in the Machine Shop Area and will not be duplicated in the plastics area.
- A table saw for cutting down sheet material is available in the woodshop area. Training and rules are under the woodshop committee.
- Lasers are a valuable tool for cutting plastics and are available in the Laser area. It is important that proper venting be followed as some plastics generate noxious fumes. A prohibited example would be PVC which can generate Chlorine gas when heated. Consult the approved materials list in the Laser committee page and area. 
Rules and Safety
As a SIG under the governance of the Machine Shop Committee, the Plastics group will follow all of the rules as set forth in the Machine Shop rules. f
Rules specific to the fabrication of plastics and composites will be identified here.
A topic category on TALK has been created under the Machine Shop Category to specifically address Plastics discussions. It will be Machine Shop ->Plastics & Composites.