Full Spectrum Laser Cutter
This tool is no longer available for use. It has been supplanted by the new Thunder Laser
What is a laser cutter?
A CNC laser cutter is a computer controlled tool for engraving and cutting. It uses a high-powered laser to burn through material, leaving a very crisp cut.
Please see the list of Laser Cutter Materials for materials that are not allowed to be cut on the machine.
- 120 Watt CO2 Laser
- 36" x 24" work area
- Can cut up to 0.75" thick materials
- Laser mechanical resolution is 0.001"
- Laser spot size is approximately 0.001 to 0.005"
- Works with most Windows software, show up like a printer
- Best vector file formats are SVG, EPS but will read just about all file formats
- Best bitmap format is 1 bit BMP at 250, 500 or 1000 DPI
- Printer driver supports the following page sizes:
- Tabloid: 11"x17"
- A3: 11.69x16.535
- CSHEET: 17x22
- DSHEET: 22x34
- ESHEET: 34x44
Who can use the laser?
Dallas Makerspace members that have been through the training class.
Laser Usage Fee
To allow for purchase of consumables and upgrades, there is a $1 per 5 minutes usage fee (rounded up, so 5:01 minutes = 10 minutes of usage).
The laser training materials can be found here:
- Current Training Presentation: http://tinyurl.com/DMS-LayZr
- FSL 36x24 and 48x36 ProLF Laser - Machine Setup and Troubleshooting Manual: File:FSL-36x24-ProLF-Laser-MachineSetup.pdf
(NOTE: Do NOT attempt to troubleshoot the laser - unless you are an authorized laser maintainer. If there is a problem, open a ticket (https://dallasmakerspace.org/helpdesk). Thanks!)
Want more information? Want to help others learn? Join the Laser Committee.
Laser classes are held at the space on a as needed basis. Email the laser committee or mailing list to sign up for the next class.
Member Submitted Hints and Tips
- add useful info here
- and more here