Board of Directors Meeting 20210114

From Dallas Makerspace
Jump to: navigation, search


Time, location

  • Time & Place: 2021-01-14 19:00, Dallas Makerspace
  • Google Meet .info

Prior minutes

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20201210#Minutes

Financial Statement

Member Recognition and Complaints

Member recognition (above and beyond) and member complaints will be considered before other business. This will allow members that are interested or involved with either to leave without having to sit thru the entire meeting.

Old Business

Items TABLED at the previous Board Meeting shall be placed as Old Business agenda items. Any item tabled more than once for lack of satisfactory forward motion by its sponsors or proponents is a candidate for dismissal.

Consent Agenda

Newly proposed agenda items appear in the consent agenda. Any member present at the meeting may pull an item out of the consent agenda for discussion, at which point it goes under "New Business". If nobody objects to the solutions presented by the consent agenda, everything in the consent agenda passes by consensus. Items that have more than one proposed solution should be moved to the "New Business" section.

Any member may edit this wiki page and place an item on the agenda. However, discussion of agenda items should be done via the forums. The cut-off time for addition to or revision of all agenda items is 48 hours prior to the meeting.

Please note, agenda items (Consent, New, or Old) that request spending $200 or more must include a section on "Relevance to our tax exempt purpose".

A capital equipment form (listed at the bottom of the Finance forms list) is required for all equipment purchase or lease exceeding $1000 for which funds are requested from the Board in part or total, at least two weeks in advance of the board meeting.

Appoint Additional Chairs (JJ Perry)

Problem: Due to various delays, the following Committee Chairs were not confirmed at the December Board of Directors meeting.

Solution: Appoint the following Committee Chairs:

  • 3D Fabrication : TBD
  • Automotive : TBC
  • Blacksmithing : Tim Dugger
  • Digital Media : JJ Perry (Committee Minutes)
  • Electronics : TBD
  • GlassWorks : Anita Willis
  • Jewelry/Small Metals : Johnny Bluejacket
  • Laser : TBD
  • Machine Shop : Tim Bene (Committee Minutes)
  • Science : TBD

Product Photography (JJ Perry)

Problem: In the wake of computer committee dissolution, a make shift product photography area was set up in the vacant floor space. The lights have been a trip hazard and have been in the way of exiting.

Solution: Allocate the remaining floor space of the old lobby to Digital Media to set up an easier to use Product Photography area that will not block fire door. Digital Medial will handle set up and provide camera for Product Photography use.

Relevance: Supporting our makers with an area to photograph their creations. Will also be used for Product Photography Classes in the future.

Establish a Formal Operating Budget for the Dallas Makerspace (Jason Harner)

Problem: While the honorarium + stipend system has served the makerspace well over the years, it no longer meets our needs, particularly in these challenging times. The majority of our committees have large fund balances that, if spent all at once, would put the makerspace into a precarious financial position. To prevent this, strong purchasing controls have been put into place. But, it’s now somewhat unclear to committee chairs and members, what level of spending is sustainable. Additionally, the board and the committees have little ability to forward plan, making large capital purchase decisions challenging. While the honorarium system provides good incentives for committees to teach, different committees have different models of engagement with the membership, that may or may not be well suited for in-person classes versus virtual training, tool sign-offs, or one-on-one mentorship.

Solution: Replace the committee portion of honorarium, and all existing committee stipends with a monthly budget, on a 6-month cycle. The budget would be intended to cover all maintenance costs, consumables, minor repairs, classroom supplies, and small tool purchases for the committee. Major, emergency repair expenditures would be authorized outside of the budget. Large capital purchase requests would be approved by the board from a separate makerspace-wide capital expenditure budget. Ideally those major purchase requests would be submitted at the beginning of the budget cycle, so the board could evaluate which ones benefit members the most and time the purchases appropriately given our financial position. The treasurer will present the overall budget, as well as the proposed allocations for each committee.

Relevance: Put a financial structure in place that best balances the needs of the membership with the long-term financial health of the space.

Break/Fix for Interoperation of IT Systems (A. Spencer)

Problem: Updating WHMCS to the latest release has brought new ways of doing business from that vendor, causing a breakage of the systems used to synchronize accounts/credentials.

Solution: Authorize Purchasing Agent Freddy Calvert to engage a professional coder to assess, recommend, and, provide the code to make the changes necessary to get these systems back in working order. We are requesting a limited engagement of 20 hours at $55 an hour (mid-point market rate), to be re-assessed at the 10-hour mark for expectation of resolution.

Relevance: As this problem drags on, we are diverging from "best practices" to provide a modicum of service to our members, and it is having a deleterious effect on the experience, in addition to consuming ridiculous amounts of volunteer time that could be better spent elsewhere.

New Business

Agenda items should be placed in New Business if there is any expectation of discussion by the Board or others in attendance during the meeting.

NB1 (Submitter)

Problem:

Solution:

Relevance:

NB2 (Submitter)

Problem:

Solution:

Relevance:

NB3 (Submitter)

Problem:

Solution:

Relevance:


Minutes

07:01 PM CALL TO ORDER


====
ATTENDANCE
- Julie Harris
- Justin Walker
- Curt Baker
- James Henningson

ABSENT
- Brad Sims 


====
MOTION: Approve Prior Minutes
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20201210#Prior_minutes
(Motion may specify amendments to be made to previous minutes)
  - Proposed Justin
  - Seconded Curt
- Vote
  - For UNANIMOUS
  - Opposed
  - Abstained
  - Motion PASSED

====
TREASURER'S REPORT

Income:   $59,846.21
Expenses: $71,146.77
Net:     -$11,300.56

====
Complaints: Member Tails Hartnett filed a complaint against other member. Member was loading items in the back near automative blocking others access during rain storm ruining his materials.
See https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/loading-in-auto-bay-area-question/77913/11
Board of Directors to come up with a solution as it is an ongoing problem.

Recognition: Board of Directors recognizes the membership for sticking with DMS through the Covid-19 Pandemic and corresponding restrictions. 


====
OLD BUSINESS

No Old Business


====
CONSENT AGENDA

----
Appoint Additional Chairs (JJ Perry)
- AS WRITTEN: "Appoint the following Committee Chairs:

Blacksmithing : Tim Dugger
Digital Media : JJ Perry
GlassWorks : Anita Willis
Jewelry/Small Metals : Johnny Bluejacket
Machine Shop : Tim Bene"

----
Product Photography (JJ Perry)
- AS WRITTEN: "Allocate the remaining floor space of the old lobby to Digital Media to set up an easier to use Product Photography area that will not block fire door. Digital Medial will handle set up and provide camera for Product Photography use."
- Pulled by James Henningson

----
Establish a Formal Operating Budget for the Dallas Makerspace (Jason Harner)
- AS WRITTEN: "Replace the committee portion of honorarium, and all existing committee stipends with a monthly budget, on a 6-month cycle. The budget would be intended to cover all maintenance costs, consumables, minor repairs, classroom supplies, and small tool purchases for the committee. Major, emergency repair expenditures would be authorized outside of the budget. Large capital purchase requests would be approved by the board from a separate makerspace-wide capital expenditure budget. Ideally those major purchase requests would be submitted at the beginning of the budget cycle, so the board could evaluate which ones benefit members the most and time the purchases appropriately given our financial position. The treasurer will present the overall budget, as well as the proposed allocations for each committee."

---
Break/Fix for Interoperation of IT Systems (A. Spencer)
- AS WRITTEN: "Authorize Purchasing Agent Freddy Calvert to engage a professional coder to assess, recommend, and, provide the code to make the changes necessary to get these systems back in working order. We are requesting a limited engagement of 20 hours at $55 an hour (mid-point market rate), to be re-assessed at the 10-hour mark for expectation of resolution."


----
MOTION: PASS items 6.1, 6.3 & 6.4 AS WRITTEN
  - Proposed Justin Walker
  - Seconded Julie Harris
- Vote
  - For UNANIMOUS
  - Opposed
  - Abstained
  - Motion PASSED

----
Product Photography (JJ Perry)
- AS WRITTEN: "Allocate the remaining floor space of the old lobby to Digital Media to set up an easier to use Product Photography area that will not block fire door. Digital Medial will handle set up and provide camera for Product Photography use."
- Motion: "Grant temporary use of space in the old lobby. Equipment to be administered by Digital Media. Logistics still will be stewards of the space itself. Plan on future location as expansion is completed and a more appropriate location can be found."
  - Proposed James Henningson
  - Seconded Curt Baker
- Vote
  - For UNANIMOUS
  - Opposed
  - Abstained
  - Motion PASSED

====
NEW BUSINESS

No New Business

====
EMERGENCY BUSINESS

No Emergency Business

====
NEXT MEETING: 

Wednesday February 10th 2021


====
MEETING ADJOURNED 07:33 PM

Action Items

Status Item Description Responsible Party
[ ] Finance
[ ] Finance
[ ] Finance
[ ] Finance
[ ] Finance