Machine Shop Committee Meeting 20201024
Machine shop monthly meeting. 10/24/2020 17:00
- Tim Bene-Chair
- Charlie Procter-Vice Chair
- Bob Karnaugh-Vice Chair
- Julio Sumarriva
- Beth Appleton
- Mario Mendez
- Freddy Calvert
- Paul Morley
- Marcel McClain
- Jeffrey Conner
- Randy Lisbona
- Chris Marlow
- Calvin Stence
- Thomas Fagan
- Opened the floor for anyone who would care to run for chair.
- Tim Bene will run unopposed. Vote was unanimous for Tim Bene to continue as chair.
- Tim asked that if Charlie Procter & Bob Karnaugh would remain as vice-chairs, which they agreed.
- #2 center drills
▪ Tim proposed gooseneck lighting
• Do we want the color spectrum to be towards the yellow or blue spectrum?
▪ Chris M recommends more diffused light sources
▪ Randy recommended 4' light bars over the lathe
• Calvin brought up Costco as a potential source for low-cost lighting. Calvin stated it worked extremely well in his garage
▪ Concerns over the lights being UL listed was brought-up - MUST BE UL LISTED AT THE SPACE!
▪ Chris M brought-up light sensitivity and the lighting sources need to be controllable
- Way oil - We are low/out
- Bench vise brought up:
▪ Proposal was dismissed due to the observation that it is a heavily used tool was found to be a random high-use situation. For the most part the vise is underutilized
Future Workday Tasks:
○ Stop clamp (part that stops the automatic motion) on the Colchester lathe
○ Clutch index plate, for the Colchester Lathe. Lever for engagement.
○ #26 & #27 O-Ring for the transmission, for the Colchester Lathe
○ Move less-frequently used items from the main tool cabinets to the short former Shereline cabinet
The demonstration separation wall is erected to show the desired appearance and stability
▪ Upper CV vibration is still present on the bandsaw
• The origins of the vibration are still unknown. Could be the Key or Pulley
▪ Leaving the old blade on the bandsaw until we fix the vibration issues
○ Shark Lathe
▪ Tooling is lacking
• Proposed tools
• Armstrong style holders to hold the carbide inserts
• CNMG inserts
• DO we have CNMG or are thy CNMG-like inserts
• Calvin Noted they are CNMG 432
• Amazon had Sandvik insert 10 packs for ~$80
• Sandvik tool holders for the shark (Assume $480 + $150 tools and inserts and shipping)
• Left ~$150
• Right ~$150
• Center ~$150
• 1" appears to use CN while the other uses SN (inserts??? Freddy and Tim know)
• Motion to buy the 3 (left, right, and center) + inserts NOT TO EXCEED $700 with shipping was UNANIMOUS (- Paul & Randy who had to leave early)
• Parting tool discussion tabled
• 3/16" X 1", 1/8"X 3/4" & 1/8"X 7/8", are our current parting blades • Tabled to dig-up more information
Meeting Adjourned to go look at the new safety barrier.