Board of Directors Meeting 20180223

From Dallas Makerspace
Jump to: navigation, search


Time, location

20180223 19:00 Dallas Makerspace

YouTube Live Link

https://www.youtube.com/c/DallasmakerspaceOrg/live

Prior minutes

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20180126#Minutes

Financial Statement

Balances: as of 02/23/2018 4:00pm

Checking        $349,745.49
Savings         $112,561.33
Total           $462,306.82

End Of 2017 Notes:

* Nearly $900K in revenue
* 1,100 plus Honorariums paid to teachers
* Net Worth, primarily Cash, grew ~ $200K
* We ARE saving for future: $112K now, this time last year $53K

Proposed Spending:*

6.1  $ 1,200 Secure Fire Cabinet for DMS Records (David Kessinger)
6.2  $  ~500 Conference Room Security Camera (David Kessinger)
6.4  $52,432 Purchase Dust Collection System for the Woodshop (Andrew Zalaket)
6.5  $ 5,000 Set Aside Funds for New CNC Plasma (Tim Bene)
6.7  $ 2,550 Purchase additional hard drives. (Robert Davidson)
6.9  $ 4,300 Request for Video Recorder (Coulson Mullen)
6.10 $   763 Fired Arts Lampworking Funding Proposal (Chris Cooper)
----
$66,745 Total (Per our rules our max spending available is: $17,487.25)
  • The board of directors may not allocate more than 5% of the checking account balance on discretionary spending without a current financial status from the financial committee or treasurer. See: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#Finances
  • The Treasure's opinion is that we should include Committee Allocations in the calculation of available cash. i.e. ($349,745.49 - $208,034.92) * 5% = $7,085.53 max spending. Seems hyper conservative but not really valid until we get committee balances accurate.

Profit & Loss Statement:

DMS 2018/01 P&L

Member Recognition and Complaints

Member recognition Ken Purcell for his tireless work on finances. Time to thank him!

Member behavior (expulsion)


Consent Agenda

Newly proposed agenda items appear in the consent agenda. Any member present at the meeting may pull an item out of the consent agenda for discussion, at which point it goes under "New Business". If nobody objects to the solutions presented by the consent agenda, everything in the consent agenda passes by consensus. Items that have more than one proposed solution should be moved to the "New Business" section.

Any member may edit this wiki page and place an item on the agenda. However, discussion of agenda items should be done via the forums. The cut-off time for addition to or revision of the consent agenda items is 48 hours prior to the meeting. Please note, agenda items (Consent, New, or Old) that request spending $250 or more must include a section on "Relevance to our tax exempt purpose".


Secure Fire Cabinet for DMS Records (David Kessinger)

Problem: Need a more secure file cabinet for DMS records. Current file cabinet is not fire rated and not secured. Anyone with access to server room has access. Small cabinet in Conference Room is not fire rated.

Solution: Buy a fire rated 4 drawer file cabinet, primarily for use by DMS Bookkeeper for documents, checks, etc. and for use by DMS for corporate records. Authorize expenditure of up to $1,200. A new or used cabinet may be purchased.

Relevance: Protection and security of DMS corporate records.

Conference Room Security Camera (David Kessinger)

Problem: Conference Room is one of few areas that do not have Video Security camera coverage. We now how a bookkeeper on site that uses that room, bookkeeper collects money during the day when few people around. This will provide additional security for the bookkeeper as well security for new fire proof filing cabinet to be procured.

Solution: Authorize Infrastructure to procure and install camera and any other needed infrasture needed to support it.

Relevance: Security of persons in DMS facilities and DMS property.

Annual Meeting and BoD Elections (David Kessinger)

Problem: Set date for Annual Meeting and Election of Board of Directors as April 12th, 2018 as required by By-laws:

Section 2.3 Annual Meeting The annual meeting of the Board of Directors shall be conducted at a place and time set by resolution of the Board of Directors.

Solution: Motion: Annual meeting and election of Board of Directors be set as to be concurrent with Monthly Membership Meeting, April 12th, 2018; that time for in person voting to end be 9:30 PM on April 12th, 2018 at the place where the Membership meeting is scheduled to be held; that on-line voting have a cut-off on 12:00 Noon on April 12th, 2018; that the firm that provided on-line voting for DMS last year be retained,if possible, if not available, then another firm as designated for the this purpose and that funds be approved at this time for that purpose; that notification of Annual Meeting and Election be sent by mail to members qualified and registered to vote be mailed the first week of April. That the newly Elected board of Directors be installed at the April Board of Directors meeting and that it be at least no earlier than April 19th, 2018.

Relevance: Corporate Governance as required by our corporate charter and by-laws.


Purchase Dust Collection System for the Woodshop (Andrew Zalaket)

Problem: The current dust collection system in the woodshop has been deemed to be inadequate by Carrollton Fire Marshall Jeremy Roberts. Due to this issue DMS has been issued Violation Notice 2203.2 Housekeeping. The primary issue with the current system is that the filters clog up and are unable to pull sufficient air to create adequate suction to all the machines. Another issue is that members fail to turn on the correct dust collector and open the associated blast gate.

Solution: The Felder RL350 dust collection system will provide enough suction to support the entire woodshop. It will be equipped with automatic blast gates to ensure that air is always flowing to the correct machines as well as an automatic air system that will clear all filters on a timer. This machine will be custom built to our specifications with an acoustic silencer to reduce noise to 69db, a waterless powder fire suppression system, as well as two 66-gallon waste bins with visibility windows. This unit also pumps out clean air while running to help circulate and eliminate airborne dust. The total cost of this system delivered and installed by professionals will be $52,432 (lowest total cost option amongst bidders)

Relevance: Dust collection is the most important component in any woodshop. It is important that we offer our members a simple and safe solution. This unit will help create a cleaner, safer, and quieter work environment in the woodshop. This system has been proposed to Carrollton Fire Marshall Jeremy Roberts and deemed as an acceptable solution to resolve violation notice 2203.2.

Set Aside Funds for New CNC Plasma (Tim Bene)

Problem: Existing CNC Plasma cutter is really starting to age. It seems as each day goes by the small issues are becoming more problematic. The gantry & bridge guides are starting to show wear. Additionally we do not own this equipment.

Solution: Begin setting aside for the replacement, as this will be a large purchase. The full purchase, hopefully within the next months, will replace the aging equipment. The new machine will have advanced height controls that we currently do not have good control over. This wil expand on what our members can create in thinner sheet metal. Additionally the machine is more modern & has better support than our current system. The current machine, technical support cost money to talk to them. The life expectancy is expected to be extremely long on this purchase, minimum of 10-15 years. Current max quote is approximately 27,000 without shipping from that manufacturer. Authorize the max monthly allocation of 5,000.00 to start the ball rolling. The following board meeting we will have actual numbers after our committee members digest the quotes. Update that Committee meeting held on 2/20/18, Committee unanimously approved a total NTE of 27,000. This include 22,000 from the board & 5,000 from the metal shop.

Relevance: Our existing equipment is degrading. This machine is highly utilized from anything from making parts for the Makerspace, to creating costumes, to art. If the equipment fails now, we would likely need to repair at great cost, also leaving CNC classes canceled until repaired. The replacement/repair cost as of 2/20/2018 is 7,000.

Remove the following Procurement Officers. (Robert Davidson)

Problem: The requirements of procurement officers require that they turn in receipts for purchases.

Solution: Ultimately my (RD) goal is to start tightening up controls during the receipt process for credit cards. I truly believe that procurement officers are good for DMS to make purchases but sometimes we just have procurement officers that can't get in receipts and I am tired of reminding them. So I would like to require all procurement officers outside of extenuating circumstances get in receipts within 1 month of purchase. Failure to provide receipts will result in the shutdown of the procurement officers credit card and action started to start collect non authorized transactions from the individual. To start it out I would like to remove

 Tom Tansey
 Stan Simmons
 Dan Gallagar


Purchase additional hard drives. (Robert Davidson)

Problem: Increase the amount of storage available to the Security DVR System.

Solution: I would like to purchase an additional 40 TB's of storage for each server totaling 80 TB's at first glance I am thinking the 8TB WD purple NAS drives. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711458VN/ = which is a total cost of $2,550 dollars infrastructure can ultimately decide on the best option.

Relevance: We have been adding cameras without going back and installing storage to support the additional cameras. From a strictly economic sense I don't expect to recover over 2K with the purchase of this equipment, but I do expect to identify and remove individuals that steal members projects and DMS equipment.


Appoint Blacksmithing Committee Chair

John Haskins did not have the time to continue being chair and stepped down, Ethan Western was nominated unanimously and has been serving as the acting chair.

Request for Video Recorder (Coulson Mullen)

Problem: Digital Media currently has an outdated DSLR camera. Although this camera can be used for low-quality video, it is primarily designed for still photography. For years, DMS members have requested a true video recorder to shoot high-quality, professional looking videos for their projects.

Solution: The best viable solution to this problem is to invest in a robust mirrorless camera which will not only take high-quality photos but will also be a great option for 4k video. After speaking with more members as well as getting feedback from board members, I was asked to revise my request to include a device similar to a DSLR that not only takes great video but also allows for amazing photographs. It was decided that the Panasonic GH5 would be the best fit. Total cost is $4,300: GH5 mirrorless camera body, 12-35 mm lens, rolling tripod, extra batteries, 128GB sd card, recording monitor and protective cage.

Relevance: Remaining consistent with the mission statement of Dallas Makerspace, this purchase would inspire, attract and educate the current members and help attract new members. Video production classes will be taught around the use of this camera. Also of great importance is the fact that this machine would be universally relevant to all committees at the Makerspace as we begin to produce high-quality instructional videos of DMS equipment.

Fired Arts Lampworking Funding Proposal (Chris Cooper)

Problem: The Fired Arts Committee is requesting funding to establish Lampworking as a new offering to the Dallas Makerspace. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IA0n9pdARXhqbhZwWiTzA2EX5Gk9q4wFxRC1-kUuZt0/edit?usp=sharing

Solution: Our goal is to provide introductory classes to lampworking, covering technique and safety, which will then grant members access to the lampworking tools. Fired Arts members have been doing one-on-one classes and practicing so we will have instructors ready. Keeping the safety issues in mind, we intend to start with small classes and a buddy system while learning. We would like to begin with three workstations to accommodate six students.

Funding requested: $763

Relevance: With the restructuring of our committee area, we have made more room to accommodate a wider range of classes and activities in Fired Arts. We are currently growing our Glass SIG and have seen a strong interest in more glassworking classes. Hardly a Thursday tour goes by without being asked if we offer glassblowing and this will be a great way to fill that interest in a reasonable format for our current DMS space.

New Business

Emergency Items

No safety issues reported. No Announcements.

Set Next BoD Meeting

March Board of Director’s meeting set as March 23, 2018

Minutes

Board of Directors Meeting : February, 23, 2018

Meeting called to order approximately 7:30 PM in Lecture Hall at Dallas Makerspace, Carrolton, TX.
Note: No video recording of meeting

====
All Board Members present:

 - Alex Rhodes
 - Robert Davidson
 - Kris Anderson,
 - Brain Davis
 - David Kessinger (minutes taker)

====
Approve Minutes:  
Davidson, 2nd Davis: Approved as written Unanimously

====
Treasurer Report

Financial Statement

Balances: as of 02/23/2018 4:00pm 
	Checking        $349,745.49
	Savings         $112,561.33
	Total           $462,306.82

End Of 2017 Notes: 
	Nearly $900K in revenue
	1,100 plus Honorariums paid to teachers
	Net Worth, primarily Cash, grew ~ $200K
	We ARE saving for future: $112K now, this time last year $53K

Proposed Spending:* 
	6.1  $ 1,200 Secure Fire Cabinet for DMS Records (David Kessinger)
	6.2  $  ~500 Conference Room Security Camera (David Kessinger)
	6.4  $52,432 Purchase Dust Collection System for the Woodshop (Andrew Zalaket)
	6.5  $ 5,000 Set Aside Funds for New CNC Plasma (Tim Bene)
	6.7  $ 2,550 Purchase additional hard drives. (Robert Davidson)
	6.9  $ 4,300 Request for Video Recorder (Coulson Mullen)
	6.10 $   763 Fired Arts Lampworking Funding Proposal (Chris Cooper)
	----
	$66,745 Total (Per our rules our max spending available is: $17,487.25)

The board of directors may not allocate more than 5% of the checking account balance on discretionary spending without a current financial status from the financial committee or treasurer. See: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#Finances 

The Treasure's opinion is that we should include Committee Allocations in the calculation of available cash. i.e. ($349,745.49 - $208,034.92) * 5% = $7,085.53 max spending. Seems hyper conservative but not really valid until we get committee balances accurate. 

Profit & Loss Statement: 
DMS 2018/01 P&L 

====
Member Recognition and Complaints

Member recognition Ken Purcell for his tireless work on finances. Time to thank him! 

Member behavior (expulsion) 
	Complaint against XXX Young for making paraphernalia. Member not present to refute claims or gave notice of inability to attend. 
Motion: Permanently Expel Mr. Young effective immediately.  Have attorney send Trespass notification barring entry in or onto Dallas Makerspace properties.
Moved Kessinger, 2nd Davis, APPROVED Unanimously.

====
Consent Agenda

1. Secure Fire Cabinet for DMS Records (David Kessinger) Allocation to Finance Committee Not to exceed $1,200. 
2. Pulled: Conference Room Security Camera (David Kessinger)
3. Pulled: Annual Meeting and BoD Elections (David Kessinger)
4. Pulled: Purchase Dust Collection System for the Woodshop (Andrew Zalaket)
5. Pulled: Set Aside Funds for New CNC Plasma (Tim Bene)
6. Pulled: Remove the following Procurement Officers. (Robert Davidson)
7. Pulled: Purchase additional hard drives. (Robert Davidson)
8. Appoint Blacksmithing Committee Chair
9. Pulled: Request for Video Recorder (Coulson Mullen)
10. Fired Arts Lampworking Funding Proposal Allocation of $763 (Chris Cooper) 

Consent Agenda Items: 1., 8., and 10.
Moved: Kessinger, 2nd Davidson, Approved Unanimously
Allocation NTE Finance $1200
Allocation Fired Arts $763

Pulled Consent Agenda Items

2. Conference Room Security Camera (David Kessinger)
Motion: Allocate $300 to Infrastructure for Conference Room Video Camera
Moved: Davidson, 2nd Davis: APPROVED Unanimously [Allocation $300]

3. Annual Meeting and BoD Elections (David Kessinger)
Motion: Annual meeting and election of Board of Directors be set as to be concurrent with Monthly Membership Meeting, April 12th, 2018; that time for in person voting to end be 9:30 PM on April 12th, 2018 at the place where the Membership meeting is scheduled to be held; that on-line voting have a cut-off on 12:00 Noon on April 12th, 2018; that the firm that provided on-line voting for DMS last year be retained, if possible, if not available, then another firm as designated for the this purpose and $300 be allocated to Infrastructure for this purpose; that notification of Annual Meeting and Election be sent by mail to members qualified and registered to vote be mailed the first week of April. That the newly Elected board of Directors be installed at the April Board of Directors meeting and that it be at held on April 27th, 2018.
Moved: Anderson, 2nd Davis, APPROVED Unanimously.  [Allocation $300]

4. Purchase Dust Collection System for the Woodshop (Andrew Zalaket)
Motion: Allocate $3,000 to Woodshop for Professional Engineering of Dust collection system.
Moved Kessinger, 2nd Davis: APPROVED Unanimously [Allocation $3,000]

Motion: Table allocation for Dust Collection Pending Engineering Report
	Moved: David, 2nd Davis, APPROVED Unanimously

5. Set Aside Funds for New CNC Plasma (Tim Bene)
Motion: Allocate Not To Exceed $22,000 for Plasma Cutter, Metal Shop to Contribute $5,000 towards purchase, must create online training for Shear, Brake, and Slip Roller before purchasing.
Motion: Davidson, 2nd Davidson, APPROVED Unanimously
Note: Allocations to be made in 4 monthly Allocation of $5,000 and $2,000 in final allocation beginning with Febrauary.

6. Remove the following Procurement Officers. (Robert Davidson)
Motion: Remove the following Procurement Officers:
Dallas Makerspace (General Card)
Schaff, Brooks
Selk, Lisa
Olson, Luke
Cerroni, Mitch
Gallagher, Daniel
Green, Merissa
Brunes, Devin
Moved: Davidson, 2nd Anderson: APPROVED Unanimously

Timey submission of expenses of charges by Procurement Officer using DMS credit cards (Davidson)
Motion: Procurement Officers must submit on Expensify, all charges, within 15 days of transactions posting, for  all purchases on Dallas Makerspace credit cards.  Failure to comply will be cause to cancel or reduce to zero the spending limit.
Moved: Davidson, 2nd Davis: APPROVED Unanimously

7. Purchase additional hard drives. (Robert Davidson)
Motion: Allocate $4,000 to Infrastructure to procure a total of 13 X 8TB of NAS storage, and 3 video cameras.
Moved: Davidson, 2nd Davis: APPROVED Unanimously [Allocation $4,000]

9. Request for Video Recorder (Coulson Mullen)
Motion: Table.
Moved: Davis, 2nd Kessinger: APPROVED Unanimously.

March Board of Director’s meeting set as March 23, 2018
No safety issues reported.  No Announcements.
Motion to Adjourn
Moved: Davis, 2nd Anderson.  Meeting Adjourned.

====
Note to Finance Committee and Bookkeeper: the following allocations have been approved by the Board of Director on 2-23-2018
  /s/ Kris Anderson, President, Dallas Makerspace
Allocation from General Fund: NTE Finance $1200 for Fire Safe File Cabinets
Allocation from General Fund:  Fired Arts $763
Allocation from General Fund:  Infrastructure $300 for Annual Elections
Allocation from General Fund: Woodshop, $3,000 for retaining Professional Engineer for Dust Collection system
Allocation from General Fund:  Infrastructure $300 for Security Camera Conference Room
Allocation from General Fund:  Infrastructure $4,000 for Server Storage and cameras
Allocation from General Fund:  4 monthly allocation of $5,000 and $2,000 in final allocation beginning with February, 2018
TOTAL Allocations: $14,563

Per Treasurer’s report that monthly spending limit is: $17,487.25, we have not exceeded that limit.