Board of Directors Meeting 20111015
19:00, Dallas Makerspace
- Treasurer - John Haskins will report on finances and the deputy treasurer program.
- Operations and Facilities Committee - Shona Haskins will report on the status of the build out.
- Public Relations Committee - Nicole Greeley will report on the status of the PR Committee's programs.
- Security Committee - Andrew LeCody will report on the status of the security system and network infrastructure.
- Status of 501(c)(3) filing, if there are any updates from the IRS
20111015 Board of Directors Meeting 2011-09-03 at 19:35 Glenn Pipe, Andrew LeCody, Peter Smith, Leland Flynn
Other members present: John Haskins, Shona Haskins, Mike Eber
Andrew LeCody motions to approve prior minutes. Glenn Pipe seconds. Aye: 4 Nay: 0 (19:39)
- Treasurer Report: John Haskins (19:41)
- John Shook is no longer a member.
- Shona is to talk to Will Stewart.
- 4 others.
- Have 7 new members.
- We do accept check and cash. Chase has a thing that allows.
- John has the Chase bank fee-free setup.
Through discussion, Shona is going to look into "Square," for the space. (19:45)
Discussion about pre-approval of funds. (19:55)
Discussion about committee spending, accounts, financing. (20:00)
Andrew proposes that all committee financial reporting to the treasurer be the duties of the committee's chairperson, or committee-assigned person. Leland seconds. Aye: 4 Nay: 0 (20:02)
Discussion about re-occuring funding for expendables. (20:04)
Andrew proposes that we establish a re-occuring budget for the operations and facilities committee of $100 per month, with an inital grant of $100 (retroactive to the beginning of this month, Oct. 1.) Glenn seconds. Aye: 4 Nay:0 (20:08)
Discussion on some current re-occuring fees. (20:10)
Andrew proposes that the PR committee be in charge of the Makerspace Paraphernalia fund, and that the Makerspace will provide an initial grant of $100. Peter seconds. Aye: 4 Nay: 0 (20:15)
- Treasurer's Report continues
Leland proposes that *in a booming, commanding, courageous voice*, we close and re-allocate the funds remaining in the Move Fund, back into the General Fund. Andrew seconds. Aye: 4 Nay: 0 (20:17)
- Treasurer's Report continues (20:18)
Glenn proposes that we re-allocate the funds that were intended for the fix of the (donated) plasma display, the power supply, to be used for a "Makerspace Kickstartr" project for the classroom big-screen-TV. Andrew seconds. Aye: 4 Nay: 0 (20:20)
- Operations and Facilites Report: Shona
Discussion about grills.
Discussion about the Open House food situation. (20:29)
Andrew proposes that the Makerspace allocates $200 to the Paraphernalia fund, for use in the upcoming Open House, with any remaining to stay in the fund. Glenn seconds. Aye: 4 Nay: 0. (20:30)
- Shona discussing the refrigerator restocking, and finances for said.
Andrew proposes that a second (new) debit card, with a monthly cap of $600, be issued to the Operations and Facilities Committee chairperson (currently Shona Haskins.) Glenn seconds. Aye: 4 Nay: 0. (20:41)
Discussion about the facility (20:45)
Leland proposes that we have the addition of a standing rule, that at the beginning of each Thursday meeting some time is set aside to clean the space. Andrew seconds. Aye: 4 Nay: 0 (20:48)
Discussion about decision for committees move towards consensus of the committee. Failing this, the committee will move the decision "up the tree" (Membership or Board of Directors.)
Andrew proposes that the Standing Rules be amended such that committee decisions must reach consensus. If the committee fails to reach consensus, the decision will then be deferred to the Makerspace Membership *or* the Board of Directors. Peter seconds. Aye: 4 Nay: 0 (20:52)
Discussion about renaming the Floor Budget to the Build-out Budget.
Andrew proposes that the Floor Budget be renamed to Build-out Budget, and that the Makerspace add $400 to the Build-out Budget. Glenn seconds. Aye: 4 Nay: 0 (21:02)
Discussion about quorum in membership meetings, and by-laws having voting and non-voting members.
Andrew proposes that all current members become "Supporting Members" on January 1, 2012, unless they have filed an application to be a "Regular Member." and that the Standing Rules be amended as follows: 1) a "Supporting Member" may submit an application to become a regular member only after 90 days of membership, 2) a member's application to change from "Supporting Member" to "Regular Member" will be approved automatically upon receipt of the application by the Secretary or President. Leland seconds. Aye: 4 Nay: 0 Leland: "arr" (21:32)
Discussion on "give-aways" or raffles for the Open House. (21:39)
Andrew proposes an additional $100 for the Paraphernalia fund (for the Open House.) Peter seconds. Aye: 4 Nay: 0 Leland: "Yarr"
Action Item: Andrew to send out an email explaining the voting/non-voting membership change. (21:41)
Meeting recess. (21:42)
Meeting re-convened. (21:49)
Discussion about "electrical plan"
Andrew proposes an additional $200 be allocated to the Build-out budget to cover the electrical outlet installation on the garage's East wall. Glenn seconds. Aye: 4 Nay: 0
Andrew proposes authorizing up to $500 be allocated from the General Fund for purchase of an Epson 8350 projector (in addition to the DPRG dispensing of the TEDxSMU honorarium.) Glenn seconds. Aye: 4 Nay: 0 (22:04)
Andrew proposes creation of the Financial Committee composed of the following members, John Haskins (chairman), Steve Reeves, Christopher Seifert, and Nicole Greeley, to be tasked with supporting the treasurer in his duties. Leland seconds. Aye: 4 Nay: 0 (22:08)
Andrew proposes creation of the Classroom Committee composed of the following members, John Fields (chairman), Doug Emes, Nicole Greeley, John Haskins, Paul Wilson. Glenn seconds. Aye: 4 Nay: 0
Meeting adjourned. (22:09)
Note: draft version of meeting minutes go to the Talk Page first, upon ratifying at the *next* meeting they will be moved to the normal page.