Rules and Policies/Minors
Children/Minors are a consequence of life choices. These rules are being crafted to protect the DMS and the children from harm.
Terms and Definitions: Minors: Anyone under the age of 16 in the eyes of the DMS. Parent/Guardian: Someone that is legally responsible for the minor in question. DMS: Dallas Makerspace
Points to get across:
- The DMS is not a day care.
- Children do not have life experience to draw upon to make decisions.
- Children cannot forfeit their right to protection from their parents or vice versa.
- Parents/Guardians are responsible for their children at all times.
Thoughts: 1. Parents making excuses as to why they cannot follow the rules, how to stop that 2. How to educate the members ship -Large sign at the front and backdoor
DANGEROUS THINGS FAQ -----
Preoccupied maker Fire -source of fire -laser cutter -cutting torches in metal working -combustible fumes from a reagent Area hazards (gases that won't affect an adult but will overwhelm a child quickly) -
Rules Governing Minors in the DMS: Children will be broken down into 3 categories based off age group. Areas of the DMS will be definaed as Committee areas.
Red (0-6 years of age)
- The child will not be allowed behind rfid doors leading to the Workshop area
- The Child must be within arms length of parent or guardian at all times
- While at the space, the child must wear a Red name tag, that will be provided at the front of the dms
Yellow (7-12 years of age)
- While outside the workshop area, the child must remain in the same defined committee area as the
Parent or Guardian
- While in the workshop area, the child must remain within arms reach of the parent of guardian
- While at the space, the child must wear a Yellow name tag, that will be provided at the front of the dms
Green (13-15 years of age)
- Within the same defined committee area (Excluding workshop)
- While at the space, the child must wear a Green name tag, that will be provided at the front of the dms
Sticker Rule: The child must wear the appropriate sticker for the age category they belong to at all times. The sticker must have both the Child and Guardian's clearly written on it.
Age range suggestions: Symmetry: Red 0-6 Yellow 7-12 Green 13-15