At long last, we finally have the lab rebuilt! Let the biology projects begin!
- a microwave
- an autoclave or pressure cooker
- an incubator (we could make a basic one from a 100w light bulb in cooler 100m cultures)
- some kind of flame source for fixing gels on slides
Some things to do with our newfound bio lab:
- A simple microscopy lab (get the microscope out and look at things)
- Isolate DNA, cut up, run on gel to teach basic techniques
- Get PCR up and running, send samples out for sequencing
There is a Wired magazine article on DIY bio in this month's episode. Also, here is an [interesting Wired blog post]
We had a discussion about closed or semi-closed ecosystem models, where there are plants and fish feeding each other. Biocurious built very small ones for kids.
We want to find a good DIY bio experimental series and start running it, to have some structure.