Education Committee Meeting 20190907
This is a pre-filled wiki entry to facilitate meeting minutes and attendance for the September 7 2019 meeting.
Doug Emes (partial attendance via phone call)
Agenda Items for Committee
Talking points: - Agreed to have a Teachers meetings in the next month, and by using emails to communicate with said teachers - List of duties/responsibilities/expectations for teachers. - Class attendees cancelations are an issue - sending reminders to attendees would be helpful for everyone. - Tabletop SIG becoming under the Education Committee - Vote started by John Gorman, Art Givens seconded, 7 votes for, 1 abstained, 1 Proxy Vote through Draco for Laura (counted in votes for) - John Suggested purchasing a rolling cabinet for the SIG, John will get a lock for it for the interim - Draco suggested bringing the Toastmasters SIG under Education. John asked what their needs that would require being under a committee. Art Suggested their roles are applicable to being teachers. John Called Doug - Have a bunch of instructors that do a good job of showing different skills and techniques that could be helpful for members. They also have an 80 year long history with a proven track record for teaching public speaking. It would be helpful for teaching teachers to be better at their craft. Doug said they need a shelf/small amount of storage for a podium, and other small accessories. A podium on wheels was suggested. John starts a Vote to adopt DMS Toastmasters SIG underneath Education, Cairenn Seconds, 8 votes for, 0 objections, 1 proxy vote through Draco for Laura to vote in favor (vote counted in total) - Will need to make a push to get the old printmaking room back. - Student Expectations to follow up Teacher Expectations - No shows to classes are a problem - Calendar reminder function - Draco remembers a reminder feature and may have been disabled at some point, but that would be incredibly helpful for classes (similar to a point above). Would be useful to regain ownership of the calendar to make improvements like reminders. - Holly suggested that Safetey/Required classes get honorarium first to make sure new members who are looking for specific tools are able to get to use them. - Honorariums and the amount of Teachers still teaching may be related, theirs been a dramatic down-flux in offered classes. Eventbrite may also our committees due to all funds earned through there go directly to the teachers instead of the committees also getting funds. - Need to find data points on classes offered, class costs, teachers cost, ect. - Certification Testing instead of NEEDING required classes for members who feel they are qualified/ARE qualified to use the machines. It would cut down on wait time from joining to being able to use said machines. ‘Testing out’ of required training classes. This is a way to expedite qualified persons getting DMS certifications on machines. - Refresher videos on machines so people who are trained can get a walk through in case they dont use that machine often, but have a new project to get started.
Tabletop SIG becoming under the Education Committee - Vote started by John Gorman, Art Givens seconded, 7 votes for, 1 abstained, 1 Proxy Vote through Draco for Lara (counted in votes for) John starts a Vote to adopt DMS Toastmasters SIG underneath Education, Cairenn Seconds, 8 votes for, 0 objections, 1 proxy vote through Draco for Lara to vote in favor (vote counted in total)
Draco and John will work on developing a Teachers Expectations document Draco and John will work on developing a Student Expectations document