Board of Directors Meeting 20160828

From Dallas Makerspace
Jump to: navigation, search

This meeting will be held in Modified SRC3 format.

Contents

Time, location

14:00, Dallas Makerspace

Prior minutes

Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20160724#Minutes

Financial Statement

Consent Agenda

Improve common area monitors (Brandon)

Problem: Currently monitors for use in common area by members are a selection of old donated monitors, some of which are literally falling apart, most only have vga connections and are not useful with modern devices without a converter. It would improve usefulness and look of area if we replace those monitors with 4 ~$100 monitors that have vga, dvi, hdmi inputs, such as Asus VS228H-P 21.5"

Solution: Allocate $550 to logistics for the purchase of 4 monitors, mice, keyboards to replace current items inside the white borrowable monitors cabinet

Relevance: Having modern monitors readily available makes it possible to perform various educational activities, like having a class where you have multiple people setting up raspberry pis

LED Lighting Upgrades (Erik Smith)

Problem: DMS spends approximately $4000 a month on electricity, nearly half of which is our lighting. Our lighting fixtures are aging and Logistics has had a longstanding program of replacing the existing T12 tubes driven by magnetic ballasts with T8 tubes driven by modern electronic ballasts. A T8 retrofit is fairly inexpensive (around $21) and T8's consume 20% less power than T12s (32W vs 40W) for the same amount of light.

The market has been producing drop-in LED tube retrofits for many years that have recently dropped in price to the point that they are cost-effective for us to install. LED tubes consuming a mere 18W each - while providing equivalent output to a T12/T8 tube - can now be sourced for approximately $14.50 each (including new sockets and wiring) or $58 per quad-tube fixture; expected life is 45,000 hours or somewhat more than 5 years.

Projected savings per fixture based on varying duty cycles:

                          S   A   V   I   N   G   S
DUTY CYCLE   BREAK-EVEN   YR 1      YR 2     YR 3
----------   ----------   -------   ------   -------
100%         11 months    $4.45     $47.89   $97.34
75%          18 months    -$6.42    $26.17   $58.75
50%          22 months    -$17.28   $4.45    $26.17

Logistics installed a test fixture in June then an additional 6 fixtures in July (3 in the office, 3 in the workshop) with no issues and no member complaints. Members did not notice the new LED lighting until told that it had been installed.

Logistics has identified 29 high-use fixtures (estimated 100% duty cycle) that have either failed or are in marginal condition located primarily in the workshop (27) with a small number in the office area (2).

Solution: Allocate $1700 to Logistics for the purpose of purchasing and installing LED tubes in our existing light fixtures. The allocation will first transfer all surplus money from the Storage Fund to Logistics, with the balance coming from general funds.

Relevance: Saving money on recurring expenses in the long term with a modest up-front investment is simple fiduciary responsibility; using fewer resources for support services allows us to allocate more resources to our educational mission.

Appoint Jai Sondhi as Treasurer (Erik Smith)

Problem: DMS has not had a treasurer since Ben Groves resigned. Jai Sondhi has expressed interest in the position, as a CPA is superbly well-qualified, and has taken the lead in coordinating Finance Committee activity.

Solution: Appoint Jai Sondhi as Dallas Makerspace Treasurer.

Appoint a few members as Honorarium Auditors (Stan Simmons)

Problem: DMS needs a few more people to help with auditing the growing number of classes requesting Honoraria.

Solution: Appoint Stan Simmons, Gus Reiter, David Kessinger, Brooks Scharff, and Allen Wan to the list of Honorarium Auditors.

Create signage for the back door directing visitors to the front door (Stan Simmons)

Problem: More and more visitors are arriving at the back door and not getting a liability waiver right away.

Solution: Allocate $50 to classroom for dual color plastic sheets to create signs for the doors.

Remove Bitcoin as Payment Option (Brooks Scharff)

Problem: The rules still allow for membership payment via Bitcoin. This has not been used on over two years and should be removed as it is not a form of US currency.

Solution: Modify section 3 of the Rules to remove "/Bitcoin" from the allowed payment for yearly memberships.

Reclass Adobe CC Fund (Brooks Scharff)

Problem: Infrastructure is being charged for Adobe CC licenses, but a class was already in place to handle these charges.

Solution: Re-class all charges currently allocated to "Adobe CC Licenses" to Infrastructure, and move recurring allocation from the old class to Infrastructure.

New Business

Help Creative Arts Freshen Up the Look of DMS for Open House (Nicole Franczvai)

Problem: The once glorious white wall we painted almost a year ago has been fouled with grubby hands, gashes and all make and manner of smudge. In anticipation of Open House on the 17th I would like to seize this time to wash down our little lady and put her in some new clothes aka...paint dem walls to have more display space for 10X10 and generally just get us looking high and tight for the public.

Solution: I would like to ask the board for some money to help cover the cost of paint, rollers, new fabric for the restroom curtains and pizza for volunteers on paint night. I'm estimating this cost to be about $200-220. Considering a 5 gallon paint tub is around $100. I'm hoping to repaint the current white wall and also paint the hallway across from it. Paint date is on the calendar for September 6th and I assure you that everyone is welcome to come help paint or entertain.

Relevance: Ain't nobody want to show off no dirty house to guests. Let's get back to classy with a fresh coat of paint so we can present ourselves as best as possible and have a good looking display space for the next year to come.

Replace Chop Saw (Bryan Gangwere)

Problem: The "chop saw" (metal cutoff saw) in the Metal Shop is a messy, inaccurate, and unnecessarily dangerous tool. It was recently responsible for a fire at DMS. The miter saw in the Machine Shop is not much better, creating a huge mess and having been known to throw teeth. These need to be removed.

Solution 1: Allocate $9,395.00 (plus freight and electrical) for an automatic Scotchman 350 PKPD cold cut saw.

Solution 2: Allocate $7,095.00 (plus freight and electrical) for a semi-automatic Scotchman 350 PK cold cut saw.

Solution 3: Allocate $6,195.00 (plus freight and electrical) for a manual Scotchman 350 cold cut saw.

Relevance: Mitigating danger is of vital importance in a varied environment like DMS. Recent events have shown that major financial and perhaps civil costs could have been incurred by our existing equipment, and could easily be prevented.

Make our tables great again (Brandon)

Problem: New Work tables could be very, very strong. We could have the best, fantastic, classy tables.

Solution: Allocate $2,200 to auto committee for the purpose of constructing 6 amazing workshop tables immediately.

Conditions:

  • Similar design to green auto table (except with full 4x8 top)
  • Will arrange and dispose of existing general workshop tables as I see fit (note that white table is 4' 7.5" x 8' 10.5")
  • After this all the tables in general work area (in front of ryobi shelf) will be identical
  • Limit of 6 tables will be positioned in general work area
  • Will be built before next board meeting

Build plan:

Table bottom.png
Table layout.png

Per table build sheet:

1x 4' x 8' pine plywood base layer
1x 4' x 8' birch plywood top layer
8x 16" long, 1.5x1.5 1/8 angle leg braces
8x 24" long, 1.5x1.5 1/8 angle table braces
3x 84" long, 2x3 11 ga rectangle long beams
2x 36" long, 2x3 11 ga rectangle short beams
4x 33.75", 4x4 11 ga rectangle legs
4x 4"x4" 14 ga steel plate bottom of legs
4x 3/8-16 SS coupling nut holds feet
4x JW Winco 6T75SA5/GV rubber feet feet
2x 0.6 cu ft sand damping

Total build estimate:

9x 16' 2x3 steel (1.5 * 6) $380
5x 16' 4x4 steel (0.8 * 6) $600
11x 16' 1.5x1.5 angle (1.8 * 6) $200
6x 4'x8' pine plywood $200
6x 4'x8' birch plywood $360
1x 2'x4' 14ga steel plate $18
16x coupling nut $31
16x rubber feet $175
12x sand $40

File:RptSalesQuote.pdf Quote from Metals4u w/ delivery for the 1,659 pounds of steel $1,326.41, about another 800 for wood, feet, sand

Relevance: Having sturdy work tables enables working and doing educational things

Propose change to DMS rules regarding providing W-9 forms for certain class situations. (Zach Metzinger)

Problem: The DMS rules pertaining to honorariums have changed per the last board meeting. The text currently requires a W-9 to be submitted by the instructor for non-free classes where the fee is not being collected by DMS, even if said instructor has not requested the honorarium or is relinquishing the honorarium to the sponsoring committee. This implies that a 1099-MISC should be generated in those cases by DMS for the instructor, which is not the case per tax law. Additionally, collection of a W-9 form by DMS where not necessary increases the attack surface of identity theft for the instructor. Note that the cases where the honorarium is claimed by the instructor or where the class fee is collected via DMS and paid to the instructor would still require a W-9 form.

Solution: Change rule #1 of Events-Honorarium to read "The hosting member is required to provide a current W-9 form for the instructor prior to requesting non-committee-designated honorarium or receiving any part of the fees charged for classes, if those fees were collected by DMS and then forwarded to the instructor."

Relevance to our tax exempt purpose: DMS needs high-quality instructors to provide educational classes for our mission. Some instructors may be concerned that releasing personal information to DMS, especially where that information is not legally needed, may expose them to identity theft and therefore not be willing to provide classes.

Pass a Resolution of the Board of Directors modifying the standing rules to permit third party teaching at the Dallas Makerspace while ensuring that costs are appropriately recovered, and such events comply with various applicable laws respecting taxation and 501(c)3 corporations. In addition, the rules will be modified to prevent enurement by members. (Brian Davis)

Problem: Non-profit corporations must be just that - Non-profit. This extends to the benefits of association received by the members as a consequence of their membership. At present, our existing rules do not effectively address the requirements imposed on 501C3's and need to be updated to avoid confusion or accidental violations, while continuing to allow and encourage third-party teaching at the Space.

Solution:Make the following changes to the standing rules:

  • Item 1, under “Events” shall be changed to read: “Events must be on the official calendar to be considered scheduled. Adding events to the calendar must be done through our calendar management system. Unscheduled events may not collect fees except for the actual costs of materials used during event, and such fees are entirely voluntary in nature, and collected at the event (passing the hat).”
  • Add Item 10:

10. Members of the Dallas Makerspace must utilize the calendar and honorarium system to teach classes on premises, or to utilize tooling or supplies purchased by DMS during any class, and comply with all rules respecting Honorarium. All classes taught by members must be sponsored by a standing Committee, and are subject to approval by that committee.

  • Add Item 11:

11. Standing Committees may sponsor third party (non-member) instructors, provided that:

A. All supplies and materials must be purchased by the committee prior to the event, or paid for by the committee through funds collected via the calendaring system for that purpose, provided that the amounts charged do not materially exceed the ordinary and typical amounts charged for such materials at retail, and reflect the actual amounts used at the event. All amounts collected in excess of those used, are to be given over to the committee for their use as revenue.

B. Any fees paid to the Instructor are paid from committee funds. These funds may be collected through the calendaring system, or may otherwise be appropriated by the committee. Instructors may not directly charge attendees any fees or assessments, not otherwise collected via the official calendar system. Any collection and use of funds, is subject to the oversight of the Board, or their delegate(s). Third party instructors are considered contractors, and must provide a signed W-9 prior to teaching the event, as required by law.

Relevance: DMS must operate in compliance with the law, while pursuing its educational goals.


Create a computer area out of the storage area in the interactive room. (Nicole Franczvai)

Problem: Creative arts classes are becoming larger and more work surface is needed to accommodate the growth. The storage area in the interactive room is underutilized and {in my opinion} an eyesore. I believe this solution would fix both and create a more dynamic opportunity for many of our members. Request: I can't be at the meeting because of the time/sons bedtime (he will always come first) can you guys call me and put me on speaker to discuss this if needed (Alex and many others have my phone number).

Solution: Visual link to my brain: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-9lwxsfTaRgZTRBUHFraVF1eW8 (power point - fonts might screw up everything) Link to the same powerpoint but PDF: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-9lwxsfTaRgRWpzdWZfQk5BZFE 1. Purge the majority (and I do mean majority) of the items in the storage room located behind the white shelves in the interactive room. 2. Repair the lights, install a camera and drops (not difficult because of the server room location) 3. Build out a wall to section off that into an independent room - now utilizing the other door as the entrance and exit. 4. Place the Adobe computer, Epson printer and Epson printer computer in that room in an organized and functional way creating a private/cleaner workspace for digital users. Special Note: As of right now I'm unsure how much it would cost to drywall that small section of space walling off the interactive room, camera, and wiring would amount to. This is not my specialty. I will make some calls and see if I can get a cost estimate before the time of this meeting.

Relevance to our tax exempt purpose: This will increase the space needed for our growing class sizes in Creative Arts while allowing for more room and utilization for computer access for the members who want to use it. It will also create a more professional looking space rather the current situation.

Art Three Point Oh: Infusion of Funds to Help Support Continued Creative Arts Growth (Nicole Franczvai)

Problem: Creative Arts has continued to grow under the building of special interest groups and slowly growing the offerings of members via tools and classes. The philosophy is simple: Support passionate people. We would like to move into the next phase of growth and further our slow deliberate campaign to expand our class offerings and media resources.

Solution: Transfer $1600 into the Creative Arts fund for spending. I realize the following doesn't add up to $1600 but I believe we can support the additional costs with the current creative arts budget. The real total of this (dependent on the vinyl cutter is approx $2400)


  • Embroidery:

Fully stock the color options Sulkey Thread Set $209

  • Leather:

Flush out the cabinet and create better class opportunities Assortment of Leather Tools ($720)

  • New room:

Findings and items to outfit the computer annex ($150) : an L-shaped table/Lighting

  • Vinyl Cutter:

New Vinyl Cutter - Im doing additional research on this to find out which model would best suit us. We would have BOTH vinyl cutters available to use for a few months until we have adequate training on the new. The software we currently have is a bit wonky and this would replace it, ours works but the broken roller doesn't allow for maximum flexibility of the tool. Benefits of using a new one - replace the roller that is broken, new software, 1yr warranty, and some vinyl to go with it. Option one ($350)

Option Two ($790)
  • Airbrush:

Assortment of items to fill out some of the airbrush needs (new gun, paints, cleaning materials) ($250)

  • Room:

Two more Seville Classic Workbenches ($400)


Relevance to our tax exempt purpose: This will allow creative arts to fund and provide additional opportunities for members.

Managed Print Services (Brooks Scharff)

Problem: Our current printers are dying, and we're all tired of the constant driver changes from donated printers. Infrastructure will handle the selection of the Managed Print Services provider, who will provide the MFP device, maintenance, and toner - all we provide is the paper. The end result would be one large copier that everyone can use, and DMS would pay the per-page cost (suggested donation will be posted once it is calculated, but will be minimal).

Solution: Authorize Brooks Scharff to sign a contract with a Managed Print Services company, and allocate an additional $500 to Infrastructure per month (up to $2000/month) for the purpose of paying for these services. Alternately, we can pay for this out of the General Fund and any donations based on usage can be returned there instead of Infrastructure.


Allocate Money to PR for Promotional and Informational Materials (Mell Rhodes)

Problem: PR needs to purchase promotional materials and lacks the money to pay the upfront cost but most will end up paying for themselves with members/visitors purchasing them.

Solution: Allocate $3000 to PR. Here's the breakdown:

  • Embroidered Polos purchasing for $1087.20, will sell for $1200
  • Tote bags for $579.00, will sell for $1500
  • New member handbooks for $831.58
  • postcard flyers for $188.57
  • die cut stickers for $250

When you include the $169.47 we currently have in budget I'm overshooting with the request by $233.12 but I'd like to have a little extra on hand for any Open House last minute things that may come up.

As a note, we've realized that the Tshirt payment fund has been going to Creative Arts in error instead of PR and that will be fixed from here on out.


Relevance to our tax exempt purpose: To promote our makerspace's mission of education.


Deal with Recent Kerfuffle

Problem: The police were recently called to the Dallas Makerspace over a disagreement between members and a complaint was filed.

Solution: Discipline the appropriate party.

Deal with Thieving Member

Problem: A member stole tools and eventually returned them.

Solution: Discipline the appropriate party.

Refunds of Membership Dues (Robert Davidson)

Problem: Currently the President is the only person authorized to issue refunds this is a single point of failure and causes delays that inconvenience members.

Solution: Modify the standing rule to include the Secretary will also have the right to approve refunds of membership dues.

Science Fume Hood Installation Budget (Ebony)

Problem:In order to finish the install, Science is estimating a budget of $7775.00 (not including contractor costs). The ventilation hood requires the following items to complete installation: Click here.


Solution 1: Provide $7775.00 to Science’s budget, for completion of the install. Any money not used will be given back.

Solution 2: $1943.75 at each of the following BoD meetings until installation is complete, totaling $7775.00. We’ll return every month bloating up agendas and cramping otherwise valuable meeting time.

Relevance:Having this installation done in a quality time and manner will allow Science to conduct more experiments and useage of our area.

Amateur Radio SIG Antenna Co-funding (Zach Metzinger & Art Givens)

Problem: The Amateur Radio SIG is putting together a BYOR (Bring Your Own Radio) bench in Electronics, which will provide a place for licensed radio amateurs (who are also DMS members) to operate. The bench will provide DC power with various connectors, one HF antenna connection, and one UHF/VHF antenna connection. In order to get the antennas back into working shape and routed to this location, AR-SIG has put together a budget of $837 for our plan to renovate the antenna farm on the roof. We are also working with the science committee on a joint weather-station project which will be located on our roof-top tower system.

Solution Due to our limited funds, we ask the board to split funding ($418) for this project with the SIG funding the other half of the project.

Relevance The Amateur Radio SIG, through operating and hands-on classes, provides an opportunity to learn about electronics and radio communications.

Dallas Makerspace Trebuchet entry for SlingFest 2016 funding (Mark, Alex/Mel, Bryan, Mitch)

Problem: Plano Makerspace, TheLab.ms invited DMS to participate in SlingFest 2016. A few of us attended initial meeting and think that this will be huge advertising for the space, as well as am educational and fun group project. We need funding to purchase materials for the trebuchet which will belong to DMS for future SlingFests.

Solution Provide $1500 to Trebuchet SIG for materials (Steel, Bearings, Wheels, etc). Any unused funds will be returned.

Relevance SlingFest has a couple hundred visitors and is quickly growing. It will be great exposure for DMS and should generate several new members.

Modify Standing Rules around bank account access(Robert Davidson)

Problem: Modify access to the bank account as a signer to the President and Secretary removing Treasurer.

Solution Modify rule to Only the current President and Secretary are allowed to be authorized signers on DMS bank accounts." and "After a change in President and Secretary, it is the responsibility of the Secretary to ensure the bank's records are updated." After speaking to Jai we both believe this is an appropriate time to clean up access, this is about separation of duties. Having the treasurer write checks is no longer necessary.

Clarify function of Donation Shelf (Allen)

Problem: There have been recent claims that the ownership of items claimed off of the Donation Shelf is ambiguous.

Solution Reassert that it is now and has always been the case that once an item(s) is claimed off of the Donation Shelf by taking possession of the item(s), the item(s) becomes the personal property of the person who claimed and took possession of it. Specifically, the item(s) is not "communal" property and is not available to others once the initial claimant takes possession of it. Calling dibs or merely placing one's name on the item does not constitute taking possession.

Maker Fellowship Fund Award (Brooks Scharff)

Problem: A WHMCS mail processing glitch was discovered and Infrastructure fixed the problem, however it created a backlog of 750+ tickets. No one wanted to do them except one person.

Solution: Provide Stan Simmons three months of membership from the Maker Fellowship Fund in reward of his excellence in assisting Infrastructure with processing billing support tickets.

Appoint Chair of Classroom Committee(Brooks Scharff)

Problem: There is not currently a Chair of the Classroom Committee. Solution: Appoint Stan Simmons as Chairman of the Classroom Committee.

Maker Fellowship Fund Award (pearce dunlap)

Problem: David Cotton spotted and stopped a fire that was accidentally caused in the metal shop from the abrasive chop saw. Solution: Provide David Cotton three months of membership from the Maker Fellowship Fund in reward of his excellence in keeping the DMS from burning down 12 hours before the fire marshal showed up.

August 2016 Budget Report

Minutes

-------------
DRAFT MINUTES
-------------

Dallas Makerspace Board of Director's Meeting August 28, 2016

MEETING CALLED TO ORDER 14:02

In Attendance:
 - Ken Purcell 
 - Luke Olson
 - Erik Smith
 - Alex Rhodes

Robert Davidson's absence was communicated to the other board members in advance 
and deemed to be for valid reasons.

Previous Meetings’ Minutes
 - Approved without objection

FINANCIAL STATEMENT:
APPROXIMATELY $11,000 AVAILABLE FOR GENERAL SPENDING
MONTHLY UPDATES TO COMMITTEE BALANCES

*** THE FOLLOWING CONSENT AGENDA PASSED WITH UNANIMOUS CONSENT***
4.3 Appoint Jai Sondhi as Treasurer (Erik Smith)
 - PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: "Appoint Jai Sondhi as Dallas Makerspace Treasurer."
4.6 Remove Bitcoin as Payment Option (Brooks Scharff)
 - PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: "Modify section 3 of the Rules to remove "/Bitcoin" from
 the allowed payment for yearly memberships."
4.7 Reclass Adobe CC Fund (Brooks Scharff)
 - PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: "Re-class all charges currently allocated to "Adobe CC 
 Licenses" to Infrastructure, and move recurring allocation from the old class 
 to Infrastructure."

***CONSENT AGENDA***
4.1 Improve common area monitors (Brandon) [pull]
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: "Allocate $550 to logistics for the purchase of 4 
 monitors, mice, keyboards to replace current items inside the white borrowable 
 monitors cabinet"
- MOTION: Postpone indefinitely
- PROPOSED: Alex Rhodes
- SECONDED: Erik Smith
- Postponed indefinitely by unanimous consent

4.2 LED Lighting Upgrades (Erik Smith)
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: "Allocate $1700 to Logistics for the purpose of 
 purchasing and installing LED tubes in our existing light fixtures. The 
 allocation will first transfer all surplus money from the Storage Fund to 
 Logistics, with the balance coming from general funds."
- MOTION: Proposed as written
- PROPOSED: Alex Rhodes
- SECONDED: Luke Olson
- 3 in favor, Erik Smith abstains

4.4 Appoint a few members as Honorarium Auditors (Stan Simmons)
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: "Appoint Stan Simmons, Gus Reiter, David Kessinger, 
 Brooks Scharff, and Allen Wan to the list of Honorarium Auditors."
DISCUSSION
Luke: Need a commitment
Alex: Need to develop a standard in the near future
- MOTION: Proposed as written
- PROPOSED: Alex Rhodes
- SECONDED: Luke Olson
- Passed via unanimous consent

4.5 Create signage for the back door directing visitors to the front door (Stan 
Simmons) [pull]
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: "Allocate $50 to classroom for dual color plastic sheets
 to create signs for the doors."
- MOTION: Postpone indefinitely (issue has been resolved)
- PROPOSED: Alex Rhodes
- SECONDED: (no second)
- (no vote, issue fails)

*** NEW BUSINESS ***
 
5.2 Replace Chop Saw (Bryan Gangwere)
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: 
"Solution 1: Allocate $9,395.00 (plus freight and electrical) for an automatic 
Scotchman 350 PKPD cold cut saw.
Solution 2: Allocate $7,095.00 (plus freight and electrical) for a semi-
automatic Scotchman 350 PK cold cut saw.
Solution 3: Allocate $6,195.00 (plus freight and electrical) for a manual 
Scotchman 350 cold cut saw."
DISCUSION
Bryan: Automatic has an airchuck and is almost completely hands-off, perhaps 
added liability.  Availability of used on CL is an issue.  Variable speed would 
be preferred for this application since ferrous cuts slower, non-ferrous cuts 
faster - typical industrial applications dedicate tools to ferrous/non-ferrous.
Zach: metal shop creates sparks and a mess all the time, cold saw not good for 
bulk cutting of materials like rebar.  Fire in metal shop was because someone 
put paper in the metal shop trash can.
David K: Cold saw is 4th priority for metal shop at this moment
Alex: Want metal shop to be behind this first, ventilation is priority
Luke: There is some sticker shock with this item … used item?  We’ll spend $13k 
on a saw once this is all said and done.
Jai: Sound out demand for this tool first.  Need comparables before finance can 
approve buying off CL and other P2P type sources.
 - MOTION: "Allocate $3000 to Machine Shop for the purpose of obtaining a cold 
 saw and installing the requisite electrical upgrades."
 - PROPOSED: Luke Olson
 - SECONDED: Erik Smith
 - Passed via unanimous consent

5.3 Make our tables great again (Brandon)
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: "Allocate $2,200 to auto committee for the purpose of 
constructing 6 amazing workshop tables immediately."
DISCUSSION
Pearce: Luke/Allen tables work well, people that complain about them don’t use 
them
Stan: The main issue with the Alex/Luke tables was their quantity - there were 
previously too many of them
David K: I can see one or two Nimitz-class tables, but not all - if you need a 
crew to move them, that is an imposition
Alex: Plywood tops have had issues with oil soaking in
Brandon: No interest in hosting a class / leading the build if not passed as 
written
 - MOTION: Proposed as written
 - PROPOSED: Alex Rhodes
 - SECONDED: (no second)
 - (no vote, issue fails)

5.4 Propose change to DMS rules regarding providing W-9 forms for certain class 
situations. (Zach Metzinger)
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: "Change rule #1 of Events-Honorarium to read "The hosting
 member is required to provide a current W-9 form for the instructor prior to 
 requesting non-committee-designated honorarium or receiving any part of the 
 fees charged for classes, if those fees were collected by DMS and then 
 forwarded to the instructor."
 - MOTION: "Change rules one and two for honorarium to the following:
1. The hosting member is required to provide a current W-9 form for the 
instructor if the instructor is to be paid by DMS for anything other than 
reimbursement of materials from class fees.
2. Approved classes will be eligible for a $50 honorarium to be paid to a single
 instructor if the instructor is not collecting money via other sources (e.g. 
 Eventbrite and similar)."
 - PROPOSED: Luke Olson
 - SECONDED: Erik Smith
 - Passed via unanimous consent
 - OF NOTE: Programmatic changes are required to effect this, as such there will
 be a delay of a week or more

15:19 RECESS UNTIL 15:30
15:34 MEETING CALLED BACK TO ORDER

5.5 Pass a Resolution of the Board of Directors modifying the standing rules to 
permit third party teaching at the Dallas Makerspace while ensuring that costs 
are appropriately recovered, and such events comply with various applicable laws
 respecting taxation and 501(c)3 corporations. In addition, the rules will be 
 modified to prevent enurement by members. (Brian Davis)
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: 
"Make the following changes to the standing rules:
Item 1, under “Events” shall be changed to read: “Events must be on the official
 calendar to be considered scheduled. Adding events to the calendar must be done
 through our calendar management system. Unscheduled events may not collect fees
 except for the actual costs of materials used during event, and such fees are 
 entirely voluntary in nature, and collected at the event (passing the hat).”
Add Item 10:
10. Members of the Dallas Makerspace must utilize the calendar and honorarium 
system to teach classes on premises, or to utilize tooling or supplies purchased
 by DMS during any class, and comply with all rules respecting Honorarium. All 
 classes taught by members must be sponsored by a standing Committee, and are 
 subject to approval by that committee.
Add Item 11:
11. Standing Committees may sponsor third party (non-member) instructors, 
provided that:
A. All supplies and materials must be purchased by the committee prior to the 
event, or paid for by the committee through funds collected via the calendaring 
system for that purpose, provided that the amounts charged do not materially 
exceed the ordinary and typical amounts charged for such materials at retail, 
and reflect the actual amounts used at the event. All amounts collected in 
excess of those used, are to be given over to the committee for their use as 
revenue.
B. Any fees paid to the Instructor are paid from committee funds. These funds 
may be collected through the calendaring system, or may otherwise be 
appropriated by the committee. Instructors may not directly charge attendees any
 fees or assessments, not otherwise collected via the official calendar system. 
 Any collection and use of funds, is subject to the oversight of the Board, or 
 their delegate(s). Third party instructors are considered contractors, and must
 provide a signed W-9 prior to teaching the event, as required by law."
 - MOTION: Postpone indefinitely
 - PROPOSED: Alex Rhodes
 - SECONDED: Erik Smith
 - Postponed indefinitely via unanimous consent

5.6 Create a computer area out of the storage area in the interactive room. 
(Nicole Franczvai)
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: "Visual link to my brain: 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-9lwxsfTaRgZTRBUHFraVF1eW8 (power point - 
fonts might screw up everything) Link to the same powerpoint but PDF: 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-9lwxsfTaRgRWpzdWZfQk5BZFE 
1. Purge the majority (and I do mean majority) of the items in the storage room 
located 
behind the white shelves in the interactive room. 
2. Repair the lights, install a camera and drops (not difficult because of the 
server room location) 
3. Build out a wall to section off that into an independent room - now utilizing
 the other door as the entrance and exit. 
4. Place the Adobe computer, Epson printer and Epson printer computer in that 
room in an organized and functional way creating a private/cleaner workspace for
 digital users. Special Note: As of right now I'm unsure how much it would cost 
 to drywall that small section of space walling off the interactive room, 
 camera, and wiring would amount to. This  is not my specialty. I will make some
 calls and see if I can get a cost 
 estimate before the time of this meeting."
DISCUSSION
John Gorman : Classroom is meeting next Tuesday to discuss
Luke : A wall will need to be put up, electrical, network drops …
Alex : Issues with wall - must reach to ceiling, sprinkler system needs mods
 - MOTION: Postpone indefinitely
 - PROPOSED: Erik Smith
 - SECONDED: Alex Rhodes
 - Postponed indefinitely via unanimous consent

5.7 Art Three Point Oh: Infusion of Funds to Help Support Continued Creative 
Arts Growth (Nicole Franczvai)
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: "Transfer $1600 into the Creative Arts fund for spending.
 I realize the following doesn't add up to $1600 but I believe we can support 
 the additional costs with the current creative arts budget. The real total of 
 this (dependent on the vinyl cutter is approx $2400)
Embroidery:
Fully stock the color options Sulkey Thread Set $209
Leather:
Flush out the cabinet and create better class opportunities Assortment of 
Leather Tools ($720)
New room:
Findings and items to outfit the computer annex ($150) : an L-shaped table/
Lighting
Vinyl Cutter:
New Vinyl Cutter - Im doing additional research on this to find out which model 
would best suit us. We would have BOTH vinyl cutters available to use for a few 
months until we have adequate training on the new. The software we currently 
have is a bit wonky and this would replace it, ours works but the broken roller 
doesn't allow for maximum flexibility of the tool. Benefits of using a new one -
 replace the roller that is broken, new software, 1yr warranty, and some vinyl 
 to go with it. Option one ($350)
Option Two ($790)
Airbrush:
Assortment of items to fill out some of the airbrush needs (new gun, paints, 
cleaning materials) ($250)
Room:
Two more Seville Classic Workbenches ($400)"
 - MOTION: "Transfer $1600 into the Creative Arts fund"
 - PROPOSED: Ken Purcell
 - SECONDED: Erik Smith
 - Passed via unanimous consent

5.8 Managed Print Services (Brooks Scharff)
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: "Authorize Brooks Scharff to sign a contract with a 
Managed Print Services company, and allocate an additional $500 to 
Infrastructure per month (up to $2000/month) for the purpose of paying for these
 services. Alternately, we can pay for this out of the General Fund and any 
 donations based on usage can be returned there instead of Infrastructure."
 - MOTION: "Increase recurring funds for Infrastructure to $2000 a month and 
 authorize Brooks Scharff to negotiate and sign a contract with a Managed Print 
 Services company for the express purpose of leasing a printer/copier/scanner."
 - PROPOSED: Luke Olson
 - SECONDED: Alex Rhodes
 - Passed via unanimous consent

5.9 Allocate Money to PR for Promotional and Informational Materials (Mell 
Rhodes)
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: "Allocate $3000 to PR. Here's the breakdown:
Embroidered Polos purchasing for $1087.20, will sell for $1200
Tote bags for $579.00, will sell for $1500
New member handbooks for $831.58
postcard flyers for $188.57
die cut stickers for $250
When you include the $169.47 we currently have in budget I'm overshooting with 
the request by $233.12 but I'd like to have a little extra on hand for any Open 
House last minute things that may come up.
As a note, we've realized that the Tshirt payment fund has been going to 
Creative Arts in error instead of PR and that will be fixed from here on out."
DISCUSSION
Steve Blanchard: We’re growing to the point that we should consider hiring some 
more things done
Luis: Lots of people looking for portfolio material …
 - MOTION: "Allocate $3000 from the general fund to the PR committee."
 - PROPOSED: Luke Olson
 - SECONDED: Erik Smith
 - 3 in favor, Alex Rhodes abstains

5.10 Deal with Recent Kerfuffle
Luke Olson is recusing himself from the issue because he is friends with both 
parties, attempted to facilitate at the time of the incident, and will respond 
with factual responses only.
- ISSUE AT HAND: “An item placed on the donation shelf claimed by Pearce Dunlap 
was taken by John Gorman.  Despite multiple confrontations, John Gorman failed 
to return it after several hours and moved the item to his vehicle.  Only after 
the police were summoned was the item returned.  John Gorman issued an apology 
to the board several hours after the complaint was lodged.”
 - MOTION: "John Gorman is expelled from Dallas Makerspace for 90 days, 
 effective 8/29/2016 00:00"
 - PROPOSED: Alex Rhodes
 - SECONDED: Ken Purcell
 - 3 in favor, Luke Olson abstains

5.11 Deal with Thieving Member
- ISSUE AT HAND: “On July 12, Philllip Hardwick asked for permission to borrow 
numerous tools for use offsite and was told that was expressly not allowed and 
to speak to the Automotive Chair for an exception; Phillip never spoke to the 
Automotive Chair.  The same day, Philip removed numerous tools from Automotive -
 a floor jack, a socket set, and a pry bar.  The tools remained in Philip’s 
 possession for approximately 6 weeks and were not returned until after a police
 report was filed.”
 - MOTION: "Philllip Hardwick is expelled from Dallas Makerspace for 12 months 
 starting 8/28/2016"
 - PROPOSED: Erik Smith
 - SECONDED: Luke Olson
 - Passed via unanimous consent

5.12 Refunds of Membership Dues (Robert Davidson)
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: "Modify the standing rule to include the Secretary will 
also have the right to approve refunds of membership dues."
 - MOTION: “Modify Rules & Policies, Finances Section, Rule 4 to read as 
 follows:
Refunds for membership dues paid can be authorized ONLY at the discretion of the
 President, Secretary, or Chair of Infrastructure.”
 - PROPOSED: Erik Smith
 - SECONDED: Ken Purcell
 - Passed via unanimous consent

5.13 Science Fume Hood Installation Budget (Ebony)
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: 
"Solution 1: Provide $7775.00 to Science’s budget, for completion of the 
install. Any money not used will be given back.
Solution 2: $1943.75 at each of the following BoD meetings until installation is
 complete, totaling $7775.00. We’ll return every month bloating up agendas and 
 cramping otherwise valuable meeting time."
DISCUSSION
Alex: We are engaged in discussions with landlord about skylight as opposed to a
 new penetration which will lower cost
Ebony: This should complete out the installation
 - MOTION: "Allocate $2500 restricted cash to the science committee for setting 
 up the fume hood."
 - PROPOSED: Luke Olson
 - SECONDED: Alex Rhodes
 - Passed via unanimous consent

5.14 Amateur Radio SIG Antenna Co-funding (Zach Metzinger & Art Givens)
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: "Due to our limited funds, we ask the board to split 
funding ($418) for this project with the SIG funding the other half of the 
project."
 - MOTION: “Allocate $418 to Electronics for the express purpose of installing 
 coaxial cable for the Radio SIG”
 - PROPOSED: Alex Rhodes
 - SECONDED: Erik Smith
 - Passed via unanimous consent

5.15 Dallas Makerspace Trebuchet entry for SlingFest 2016 funding (Mark, 
Alex/Mel, Bryan, Mitch)
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: "Provide $1500 to Trebuchet SIG for materials (Steel, 
Bearings, Wheels, etc). Any unused funds will be returned."
 - MOTION: "Allocate $1500 to PR Committee for materials (Steel, 
Bearings, Wheels, etc)."
 - PROPOSED: Alex Rhodes
 - SECONDED: Ken Purcell
 - Passed via unanimous consent

Luis Ruvalcaba
Maker fellowship scholarship:
Outreach undergoing, working with Patrick 
Talking to some schools
60 prospective students
Library
Books have started to appear on the impromptu bookshelf outside server room
Woodshop willing to work on bookshelves

5.16 Modify Standing Rules around bank account access(Robert Davidson)
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: “Modify rule to Only the current President and Secretary 
are allowed to be authorized signers on DMS bank accounts." and "After a change 
in President and Secretary, it is the responsibility of the Secretary to ensure 
the bank's records are updated." After speaking to Jai we both believe this is 
an appropriate time to clean up access, this is about separation of duties. 
Having the treasurer write checks is no longer necessary.”
MOTION: “Modify Finances rule number 9 to the following:
Only the current President and Secretary are allowed to be authorized signers on
 DMS bank accounts.”
- PROPOSED: Alex Rhodes
- SECONDED: Luke Olson
- Passed via unanimous consent

5.17 Clarify function of Donation Shelf (Allen)
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: “Reassert that it is now and has always been the case that 
once an item(s) is claimed off of the Donation Shelf by taking possession of the
 item(s), the item(s) becomes the personal property of the person who claimed 
 and took possession of it. Specifically, the item(s) is not "communal" property
 and is not available to others once the initial claimant takes possession of 
 it. Calling dibs or merely placing one's name on the item does not constitute 
 taking possession.”
- MOTION: Proposed as written
- PROPOSED: Luke Olson
- SECONDED: Erik Smith
- Passed via unanimous consent


5.18 Maker Fellowship Fund Award (Brooks Scharff)
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: “Provide Stan Simmons three months of membership from the 
Maker Fellowship Fund in reward of his excellence in assisting Infrastructure 
with processing billing support tickets.”
- MOTION: Proposed as written
- PROPOSED: Luke Olson
- SECONDED: Alex Rhodes
- Passed via unanimous consent

5.19 Appoint Chair of Classroom Committee(Brooks Scharff)
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: “Appoint Stan Simmons as Chairman of the Classroom 
Committee.”
- MOTION: Proposed as written
- PROPOSED: Alex Rhodes
- SECONDED: Erik Smith
- Passed via unanimous consent

5.20 Maker Fellowship Fund Award (pearce dunlap)
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: “Provide David Cotton three months of membership from the 
Maker Fellowship Fund in reward of his excellence in keeping the DMS from 
burning down 12 hours before the fire marshal showed up.”
- MOTION: “Provide Jonathan Cotten one month of membership from the Maker 
Fellowship Fund in reward of David Cotton’s excellence in keeping the DMS from 
burning down.”
- PROPOSED: Erik Smith
- SECONDED: Luke Olson
- Passed via unanimous consent

5.1 Help Creative Arts Freshen Up the Look of DMS for Open House (Nicole 
Franczvai)
- PROPOSAL AS WRITTEN: "I would like to ask the board for some money to help 
cover the cost of paint, rollers, new fabric for the restroom curtains and pizza
 for volunteers on paint night. I'm estimating this cost to be about $200-220. 
 Considering a 5 gallon paint tub is around $100. I'm hoping to repaint the 
 current white wall and also paint the hallway across from it. Paint date is on 
 the calendar for September 6th and I assure you that everyone is welcome to 
 come help paint or entertain."
 - MOTION: "Allocate $250 to Creative Arts to freshen up DMS hallways"
 - PROPOSED: Alex Rhodes
 - SECONDED: Erik Smith
 - Passed via unanimous consent

Pearce : the complaint process is broken - no notification given

NEXT MEETING: 9/23/2016 19:30

18:33 MEETING ADJOURNED

Approved Spending Tracking

Journal 593734 in QBO. Fund transfer for science fume hood not done yet (ask Luke).