Machine Shop Committee Meeting 20200125
Machine shop monthly meeting. 01/25/2020 17:05, Due to our reserved room(Lecture Hall) being Occupied
*Campbell Hyde *Max Holthaus *David Kessinger *Luke Andrastii *Kevin Patel *Randy Lisbona *Thomas Fagan *Calvin Stence *Malcolm Galland *Bob Karnaugh; Vice-Chair *Art Givens *Jack Smith *John Wyatt *Ross Wigington *Charles Procter; Vice-Chair *Chris Wischkowsky PIG-SIG Leader *Tim Bene; Chair
Noted items in the previous month.
Sherline CNC Post Completed -Charlie experienced post issue
* Issue appears to be resolved after the meeting.
-Haas coolant is now running clean, Concentrate is in optimal level.
-Tim changed o’rings on Coldsaw Vise Actuator. New hoses & fittings are on order to replace the old worn out leaking ones.
-Bandsaw is fine, need to order more blades.
-Sherline Mini lathe shroud broken
-Sherline Lathe carriage stop chewed up.
-Discussion about grinding HSS and how we don’t want to support the equipment
-Discussion of the Silver & Deming set went cheap set vs expensive set. I (Tim) had concerns over the blatant abuse of the last set, even though it was donated. Others had very similar sentiment.
-Discussion on whether donated bandsaw should go to Metalshop.
-Discussion on adding support to aluminum saw. Concerns over that if we made a minimum length rule that it would be difficult to enforce & thoughts that people would ignore rule. -Add better clamp/support to saw.
-Discussion on the CNC Lathe, on what pre-requisite is required before the class. Most agree that generic sherline lathe for pre-requisite. * Vote & more Discussion to be had on 2-22-2020 Meeting *
-Discussion on allow people to check out people on the HAAS. If you are signed off on the HAAS, then you can sign people off on the HAAS.
-Discussion for air line project next week next Sunday 2/2/20 at noon.
-Discussing HAAS draw bar tension.
-Calvin stirred up a bunch of shit.
-Discussed spindle marking on HAAS toolholder.
Voting in procurement
- MOTION* *CALVIN STENCE* purchase 4 piece silver deming drill bit set for lathe & general use. This is a set that Calvin has a link to. Cost at time of vote was roughly $104. Calvin indicated his set has worked well for him.
- SECONDED* *DAVID KESSINGER*
- MOTION PASSES* Unanimous
- MOTION* *KEVIN PATEL* To buy diamond paste. Use of paste was to remove broken carbide from parts. Discussion was to just discard part, or break the carbide out.
- NO SECOND*
- MOTION* *KEVIN PATEL* To buy EDM Machine
- NO SECOND*
- MOTION* *DAVID KESSINGER* Buy taper cleaner.
- SECOND* *CALVIN STENCE*
- MOTION PASSES* UNANIMOUS Cost is minimal, Less than $50
Clarifications of rules
No new rules this meeting
Other Voting Items
- MOTION* *DAVID KESSINGER* To ask if metal shop is interested in donated horizontal bandsaw.
- SECONDED* *CHARLIE PROCTER*
- MOTION PASSES* UNANIMOUS
The meeting was adjourned. 18:57