Some or all of the information on this page is outdated, inconsistent, irrelevant or confusing.
Please help clean it up if you are able.
MOTHER is a combination of hardware and software which controls a variety of physical or digital outputs based on various inputs. We would like to create something similar to the LVL1 Hackerspace implementation, but tailored to our own needs.
- 1 Makerspace Ubiquitous / Task Helper / Event Responder
- 2 Status
- 3 Priorities
- 4 Feature Wish List
- 4.1 Monitoring
- 4.2 Control
- 4.3 Communication
- 5 Resources
- 6 Other
Makerspace Ubiquitous / Task Helper / Event Responder
The goal of MOTHER is to create an AI system to monitor and control various systems within the space based on the following design criteria.
- Open-source - MOTHER should use open software and hardware whenever possible.
- Low cost - Everything is relative, but if a low cost commercial solution exists, cost may trump open-source.
- Flexible - MOTHER should be able to monitor or control nearly anything we can think of. New systems should be as easy as possible to integrate.
Currently this project is in the design phase.
Paul Brown's Mother Related Projects
- Got an IRC bot that does text to speech running: http://paulsprogrammingnotes.blogspot.com/2013/02/raspberry-pi-text-to-speech-irc-service.html
- It's not very stable though, and we need to make it reconnect.
- Made a program that sounds an alert when the door is left open for too long after midnight: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Door_Log
- I had to dismantle this and attach the sensor to the security system, and use the Arduino for something else.
- Currently working to make a stable PA system for soundings alarms and making announcements.
- Made a program which pulls the logs from the access control system when someone badges into the access control successfully (then posts to google docs). This program can trigger other events when someone badges in.
- Currently working with Steve-O on a program that monitors the security system and sounds alerts.
- Gus Reiter
- Paul Brown
Priorities will be listed here in order from most important to least. The ease of implementation or other factors may also increase a particular item's priority.
The first step will be deciding on a backend system for the AI. Considerations include physical hardware (PC, interface cards, etc...), Operating system (most likely some variant of Linux), and configuration of interface modules (scripts, data format, etc...).
Realistically, it will probably be a Raspberry Pi.
Due to high interest and ease of implementation, MOTHER controlled classroom lighting will most likely be the first system to be integrated.
Front door traffic monitoring
The front door's electronic door strike has a sensor which is attached to the security system. Anything on the local network can use the security system's API and detect traffic coming through the front door.
Mother could use this a number of ways:
- Detected when the door is open when it shouldn't be.
- Detect traffic and trigger other home automation events.
There's also an arduino attached from the file server to the access control, and it sends serial data when the someone badges into the access control successfully. This can be used to:
- Trigger events when someone badges in (like pulling the log and announcing the user over the PA system)
Due to relative ease of implementation and high utility, MOTHER controlled audio throughout the space may make a good candidate for the third system to be integrated.
Feature Wish List
- Temperature (in each room)
- Barometric pressure
- Gas levels (oxygen/CO)
- Local weather / forecast (web scrape)
- notify when the internet connection goes down, possibly walk occupants through resetting the internet if not try to reset the router itself.
- Trash / Recycling
- Fridge / Freezer temps
- Food / Drink / Supplies
- Toilet Paper
- Dust sensor
- Individual presence (opt in)
- Total members present
- Total people present
- Space vacant
- Strong nearby signals
- Police / Fire
- DMS mentions
- notify if another SSID of DMS shows up to prevent spoofing.
- notify if another hotspot shows up on the same, and possibly adjacent channel, is over powering the official WiFi.
Send next job in queue to printer when ready (with notification)
- What type of AI voice?
*GLaDOS *Sultry female *Sultry male
- Can we implement multiple voices and change them at will?
Independent control of room audio
- Should room audio be mono or stereo?
- How do we implement intelligent control for multiple rooms with independent audio streams?
- What types of audio do we want?
Announcements of meetings Music IRC events Local weather warnings Audio "scenes" similar to LVL1's implementation
Highly directional sound using ultrasound
A research project on it's own, getting audible sound from an ultrasonic source, could give us a way for MOTHER to address only a single person. It could also be used for other interesting effects.
Adjust lighting for impending meeting
Adjust AC based on various criteria
Control temperature profile via web interface (with notification)
Arm security system when space is vacant
SMS / E-mail Notification
- Upcoming/Current meetings
- Kiln job finished
- 3D Print job finished
- Brewing finished / status update
- Hydroponic warning - chemicals or temp out of tolerance
Automate food ordering
- Prepare order when snack levels are low
- order food from local delivery places
Place useful resources here.