LifeMakers Weight Loss Challenge 2013 Q1
LifeMakers Weight Loss Challenge 2013 Q1 (DMS Weight Loss Competition)
- 1 Rules
- 2 Guidelines / Suggestions:
- 3 Participants
- 4 Wish List
- 5 Suggested Food & Snacks @ DMS
- 6 Fun Fitness Activities
- 7 Places to Walk
- 8 Fitness Equipment @ DMS (Continued 'Wish List' Items & Suggestions)
- 9 Fitness Buddies
- 10 Resources Available at DMS
- 11 Online Tools & Resources
- 12 Member (health/fitness related) Blogs/Pages
- 13 Hack a BodyBugg
- 14 Contact
This Contest will run for 12 weeks.
The contest Begins: January 7th, 2013
The contest Ends: April 1st, 2013
There is NO Entry Fee for the DMS Weight Loss Competition
Ultimately we will ALL be winners ~ with better health overall!
Top Losers will be determined by the greatest percentage of body weight lost.
Percentage formula: (initial weight - final weight) / initial weight = % weight lost
Percentage will be carried out to two (2) decimals or as many necessary to break a tie.
A weekly update will be provided (every Tuesday) to encourage fun & healthy competition amogst participants! :)
The initial and final weigh-ins will be done at the DMS on a scale selected for the contest.
The initial weigh-in must be done at the DMS - no sooner than the first day of the contest (January 7th) and no later than the following Monday at 11:45PM.
The final weigh-in must be done at the DMS - no sooner than the Monday prior to the final day of the contest (March 25th); and, no later than the final day of the contest (April 1st) at 11:45PM.
Other than the initial and final Weigh-ins, the rest of the weigh-ins will be done on the honorary system with each participant using the scale of their choice; and, will be reported no later than 11:45PM each Monday night.
We suggest that you use the same scale, weigh-in time, etc in order to be more accurate
Current total body weight will be reported every Monday (no later than 11:45PM)
Please always include your name with your weight so there is no confusion.
A weigh-in reminder will be posted in the group; but, it is your responsibility to get your weight reported each week. You will not get personal reminders.
If a participant has not reported a weigh-in by 11:45PM and has not notified the group that they will be late due to circumstances beyond their control (maximum of "one day late"), they will be marked as a missed weigh-in for that week.
You are allowed two (2) missed weigh-ins during the course of the competition during weeks 2 – 11. The first and last weigh-ins are mandatory.
Always report your weight as total body weight and not pounds lost.
Weight Tracking and Reporting:
Weekly weights will be posted to the group each Tuesday
The weights will be stored and tracked on a spreadsheet - which will be maintained publicly within the group (with exception of any participants who express a desire to keep their actual weight private)
A weekly leaders board document will be posted in the group.
The leaders board will display ALL the participant names and percentage lost.
- Even if some participants decide to keep their weights private, each participant can choose to share their weight on the group page at any time.
- There is no requirement to provide a before or after picture.
Missing the initial or final weigh-in.
Missing more than two (2) weigh-ins during weeks 2 - 11
If disqualified, you will be removed from the competition, this wiki page and from the group.
Guidelines / Suggestions:
- A natural weight loss is 1–3 lbs per week
- It is unhealthy and unnatural to lose large amounts of weight in a week during any weight loss journey.
- Understandably, it is possible to have occassional times during this contest where someone may have a good week (around 5-7 lbs). However it is not healthy or natural to lose that large amount of weight several weeks in a row.
- Using methods that result in extreme weight loss to the point that your health is in question, will be frowned upon.
- It is common to have plateaus during your weight loss journey. When on a plateau, it is best to adjust your diet and change up your exercise routine to get the weight loss started again.
- If you have any medical conditions, you are strongly encouraged to seek the advice of your doctor prior to participating in this weight loss competition.
- Each participant is responsible for any and all of their own actions, including any injuries as a result of those actions.
- Lisa Y Selk
- Romeo España
- Oğuz Yetkin
- Mark Havens
- Nicole LeCody
- John Fields
- Lilith Calbridge
- Steve Reeves
- Robert Davidson
- Heather Wiliamee
- Doug Emes
- john a. gorman
- Ken Purcell
- Rebecca Lass
- Michael Lass
- Shaun Richardson
- Chris Seifert
- Dick Swan
- Shy Ruparel
- Food Scale (Example: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Biggest-Loser-11-lb-Glass-Digital-Kitchen-Scale/19528896)
- Blender / Food Processor that can easily handle ice to make smoothies, etc... (Example: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-Blender-with-Food-Processor/10992847)
- Body Fat Scale and/or Hand-held Body Fat Reader (Example: http://www.amazon.com/Omron-Full-Sensor-Composition-Monitor/dp/B0020MMCDE & a Guide to Body Fat Scales: http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/bodyfatscales.html)
- Body Tape Measure (Example: http://www.amazon.com/AccuFitness-MT05-MyoTape-Body-Measure/dp/B000G7YW7Y) (available from a member; see here)
Suggested Food & Snacks @ DMS
- Frozen fruit for smoothies
- Healthy Nuts for protein and to curb appetites (Almonds, Walnuts, etc...)
- Greek or regular yogurt for smoothies and snacks
- Lipton Green Tea Citrus (not diet) to quench thirst
- Protein Powder (such as: Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder - Chocolate Peanut Butter, Vanilla or Chocolate) for protein / meal replacement / curb hunger.
- Crystal Light on the Go Energy (various flavors) to quench thirst and possible energy boost
- Protein / Energy Bars (such as: Clif Bars, EAS Lean 15, Zone Perfect, Luna Bars, Kind Plus, etc...)
- Small Apples (Gala, Fuji, etc... Good for smoothies, quick snacks, etc... and last relatively well)
- Veggies (carrots, celery, radishes, snap peas, etc... Good for quick snacks and last very well)
Fun Fitness Activities
- Martial Arts
Places to Walk
- The Trail at Brookhaven College
- Eastfield Track (Mesquite)
- Bachman Lake (Also have a Rowing Club)
- Local Malls
Fitness Equipment @ DMS (Continued 'Wish List' Items & Suggestions)
- Resistance Bands (various resistance / various lengths). Stretching helps on so many levels!
- Balance Balls (one or two could easily fit in the lounge and be used for core strength, etc...)
- Lisa would like a fitness buddy to work out at 24 Hour Fitness (swimming, aqua classes, weights) and/or at the fitness center located where she works (CompuCom - off I-75 & Forest Ln). Best times would be evenings (after 9:30 PM) or mornings (around 7:00 AM - 10:00 AM). Preferably evenings due to work & sleep schedule, etc...
Resources Available at DMS
- A Shipping Scale on loan by John Fields. He describes it as being "a shipping scale with a single floor platform large enough to stand on but with a large digital readout on a cable that can be mounted at eye height. The top end is around 400lbs so it should suit any and everyone, plus it is a high quality scale that has been accurate for me. It is available for the duration of the event."
- A Body Fat Scale on loan by Lisa Selk for the duration of the contest and likely longer.
Online Tools & Resources
- MyFitnessPal.com/Selk68 (Lisa Y Selk)
- Lisa S on fitbit.com (Lisa Y Selk)
- Personal Blog - Lisa's Progress Updates (Lisa Y Selk)
- Runkeeper.com/user/Selk68/profile (Lisa Y Selk)
- Lisa S on earndit.com (Lisa Y Selk)
Who wants to try to Hack a BodyBugg device to:
- Allow multiple users to use it
- Obtain data from it from a local computer (vs their paid subscription site)
- Format the data into easy to read information