Hack Your Wii
THIS PAGE IS INCOMPLETE! PLEASE DO NOT TRY ANYTHING ON THIS PAGE FOR IT MAY RENDER YOUR WII PERMANENTLY USELESS
Sometime in 2010, my Nintendo Wii stopped reading my game discs. This is a known problem of many Wii's and Nintendo offered free repair/replacement of affected consoles in a certain serial number range. I'm guessing they got a bad batch of components during production. Anyway, I tried sending my Wii in to Nintendo to get repaired, but my console's serial number wasn't in their free range and they wanted $75 plus $10 S&H, which is almost half a new console's price. So I did some more searching and came across some resources stepping through the process to "hack" the Wii and enable it to play my purchased games without needing the disc.
Now, this can be used for nefarious purposes, so I'll forgo any information that may be illegal. I believe that legislation within the US will allow me to legally fix my Wii in this way and post my notes how I went about this process.
- Nintendo Wii
- SD card
- Internet Connection
- Identify your 'system menu version' by clicking "Wii Options" and looking in the top-right of your screen (mine was 4.2u)
- Valid ranges are 3.1-4.3; the letter identifies the region where U=NTSCU (USA?), E=PAL (Europe?), & J=NTSCJ (Japan?)
- Install HomeBrew channel
- Download the "magic" that makes it all possible (TBA)
- Format/Partition your SD card
- Install BootMii (as 'boot2', not 'IOS)
- Make a backup of your system
- Install IOS36 by running MMM (Multi mode ...?)
- MY SCREEN IS UPSIDE DOWN!
- Install PriiLoader
- Load IOS236
- Install 'USB Loader GX' or 'WBFS Manager'
- Format/Partition USB flash drive
- Rip your games from disc
- Load your game from 'USB Loader GX'
- New 3.1-4.1 Softmod for ANY Wii
- Softmod for ANY 4.2 Wii!
- Loading and Playing Wii Backup Games from USB HDD (softmod only)