The HAAS VF-2 Vertical Machining Center requires training. Nothing else in the machine shop requires training, however members should not use any equipment without understanding its operational and safety requirements. Manuals and some video tutorials are available on the Machine Shop Committee page. If you require help with using equipment, send an email to [email protected]
Training for the HAAS VF-2 is is offered to members on a regular basis; see the event calendar for details. Once trained, members will be allowed to use the CNC mill only under supervision, until they have demonstrated their proficiency in its operation.
Training is not required for the use of the Bridgeport Mill, but a basic course in the operation of the mill is regularly offered. This class is broken into two sections, and in classroom session that covers controls, safety, etc. and a second session with some hands on demonstration.
- 1 HAAS Mill Pictures (Onsite)
- 2 HAAS Mill Pictures (Offsite)
- 3 Documentation
- 4 Specs
- 5 Critical Thinking
- 6 Costs
HAAS Mill Pictures (Onsite)
HAAS Mill Pictures (Offsite)
- Programming Guide: http://www.egr.unlv.edu/~kevinn/CNCworkbooks/MillProgrammingBook.pdf
- Training Manual: http://www.productivity.com/content/customer/docs/Haas%20Mill%20Operator%20Manual.pdf
Dylan's "Tool Setup"
-Get block indicator and position on table -Push MDI DNC -Type G128 then push WRITE/ENTER -Push START -Push HANDJOG -Push OFFSET and page up or down to get to the tool list -Push Z-axis -Jog down until indicator reads zero -Make sure cursor is over the right tool number under GEOMETRY -Push TOOL OFFSET MEASUR -Check to make sure the new Measurement is 5in. more than Z POSTION: measurement -if not then you forgot to use G128 -Push NEXT TOOL and repeat last 4 instructions for all tools
Dylan's Instructions for Setting X and Y-axis
-power machine on -push power up/restart -push SETNGGRAPH -page up or down until you see turn off door overide -turn off, push WRITE/ENTER -load edge finder tool -load and secure material in place -Push HANDLE/JOG -page up/down to get to operator page -Push MDI DNC -Type S1250 M03; this makes the spindle rotate -Press cycle start -Push HANDLEJOG -touch off on one side of the material -always use .001 increments to touch off -always use .01 to move, NEVER .1 -push ORGIN to set axis to 0.00 -TOuch off on the opposite side -divide length by 2 -move spindle to calculated point -Push ORIGIN to set center point to 0.00 -repeat for other axis -Push STOP, in OVERRIDES section to stop spindle -PUsh OFSET twice -Change G54, or needed G-code to zero by pushing PART ZERO SET -When origin is set to one side or corner, touch off the side and offset for the diameter of the edge finder (0.1)
TABLE SIZE: 36" X 14" TRAVELS: 30" X 16" X 20" TAPER: 40 SPINDLE SPEED: 7500 RPM MAIN MOTOR: 15HP ATC POSITION: 20 EQUIPPED WITH INDEXER OR ROTARY TABLE: NO EQUIPPED WITH 5-AXIS CAPABILITY: NO
Lance's Site Prep Input
Site Prep: Space Allocation
- The mill needs 3-phase 240Vac power, and only the warehouse on the Monroe side has power. (-Paul)
- Z axis
- Max = 109 in. vert
- Shipping position = 96 in. vert (including cable carrier)
- HAAS Specs:
- 89 in. front-to-back
- 126 in. side-to-side (includes chip chute)
- 36 in. service access rear
- ? in. side access
- 88" wide (excluding chute)
- ~94" high (spindle full down)
- 80" deep (excluding control panel)
- 94" deep (including control panel)
- HAAS Specs:
- Identify limited height areas
- Air conditioning unit
- Overhead door
- Minimal hindrance to foot traffic
- Identify recyclers
- Do they provide chip bins?
- Cost per lb/ton/volume?
- Pickup/transport cost?
- Separate bins for diff materials?
- Separate bin for each type of aluminum?
- Separate bin for each type of steel?
- Separate bin for each type of plastic?
- Storage for bins
- Shelves, rack, etc.?
Raw Material Storage
- Shelves, rack, etc.?
Recovery of cutting lube/coolant
- Is recovery necessary?
- How much lube/coolant left on chips that exit machine?
- What cutting lube/coolant is used?
- Water soluble
- Is there a recovery service available?
- If yes, cost?
- If no, may need:
- space for centrifuge
- Storage space allocation
- for new stock
- for old stock pending disposal
- Disposal of old lube/coolant
- Oil can be strained/filtered and reused
- Can water soluble be recycled and, if so, how many times?
- Develop proper disposal process
Richard's Concerns (Paul's Paraphrased Version)
- Maybe DMS could rent space to store it until we have a new space?
- When we have to move in six months, we are going to have go thru all the hassle and expense again.
- Professional equipment movers and setup specialists should be hired
- We could easily see 6 months of delays in getting everything in order and working.
- Are maintenance records available?
- What has been replaced?
- Support/Maintenance Items
- The tools need sharpening. Special DEDICATED grinders.
- Measuring and calibration tools for internal adjustments- Maintenance. Inspection and measuring equipment for the operators to insure they ‘made it to specs’.
- Coolant and lubrication oil testing and resupply.
- Where are you going to store the 55 gallon drums?
- How do you dispose of old/contaminated coolant &/o lub oil?
- Are special containment sumps require on sewer and drainage systems?
- Record keeping is going to become very important.
- We need to periodically run test models and make sure everything is still in spec (recorded and analyzed for wear and possible replacement)
- Waiting and having the bearing fail could contaminate and damage the entire lub system
- Vise - $350
- Sellers says he will sell us $1500 worth of tooling for $500. Not sure what that includes.
- Air Hookups - $100
- Electrical Wiring - $100
- Computer - $300
- CAM software
- Lots of options
- People might not like the open source options, like PyCAM.
- This one has an educational license: http://www.3dhaven.com/product_p/geoproed.htm
- Gibralter 52 piece clamping sets $97.55
- Brown & Sharp 3/8" edge finder $13.34
- B&S 3/8" double edge finder $17.48
- Baker drop indicator $37.53
- Hertel HSS 118° bit set $154.95