DMS 2013 Recap
- Hosted over 200 public educational events.
- Expanded the Makerspace by approximately 2,200 sq. ft. by expanding into 9983 Monroe. By doing this, we gained another busy classroom, more workspace, and more storage space.
- We spent the year equipping the Makerspace with tools like our new laser cutter and 3d printers. And, we used these new tools to educate the public.
- Our Membership grew from approx. 115 members to approx. 250.
- This also means our revenue from membership dues doubled from $6,000 per month to nearly $12,000 per month.
- The membership came together to raise $7,985 in donations for an industrial CNC Mill.
- Received car donation from Kent Bowling
Things We Made
- 3x Welding Screens
- 2x Workbenches
- New Floors #1
- New Floors #2
- Our biggest fan
- 2x Project box shelves
- A Sign
- Slats/Shelves for workshop workbenches
- Bowling Alley Table
Events and Participation
- Tyler MakerFaire (March) - Great event, great showing. DMS members were 50% of the exhibitors
- Perot Museum
- event 1: DMS was well represented at the first event. Brandon Green's One Dimensional Ping-Pong, Ryan McCutcheon's interactive minigolf display, a soldering station, Romeo Espana and Payne with the multicopters and aerial photography, more displays and plenty of support people.
- event 2:
- event 3:
- event 4: Musical Instruments - Ed Pardis and Steve Rainwater
- Lego Mindstorm competions
- Participated in two Red Bull Creation Hackathons
- Defcon - The Dallas MakerSpace had great representation at the Las Vegas event, with 15+ members participating.
- Expo at Tanners.
- Software Freedom Day 2013 (4th year): https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Software_Freedom_Day_2013
- Membership Party - this event attracted over 40 members to cheer each other
- Christmas Party - this impromptu event attracted over 40 members to cheer the holidays
- Speaker from Make Magazine spoke, and a party ensued
- Jeff DelPapa from Junkyard Wars came and spoke at DMS
- Etsy event
- Built a themed installation for the largest live art show in Dallas called UnderGround, put on by ArtLoveMagic.
- Marriage Proposal: http://goo.gl/nezz2H
- Welding classes. Result: 2 shelves for member storage.
- Laser CNC classes: well over 150 students in 2013
- American Sign Language
- Embedded Workshop (Mircocontrollers)
- Wood Working
- Life Drawing
- Drawing 101
- Aerospace builds
- and so many more
Count of Classes, Lectures, Workshops, and Hackathons:
Tools, Tools, Tools
- Laser CNC, 24"x36" Full Spectrum Laser
- 2x 3D Printers (purchased from Polyprinter)
- Air Compressor with air line throughout the building
- Sliding Compound Miter saw
- Horizontal Bandsaw
- Wood bandsaw 14"
- Drill Press
- Jet drum sander
- Jet Belt Sander
- Metal Lathe (Denton school system)
- $7,985 raised in donations for the HAAS CNC Mill.
New Tools on Loan
- Delta Cabinet Saw (Greg Needel)
- Delta Dust Collector (Greg Needel)
- Plasma CNC - 4'x4' (loaned by John Pozadzides)
- CNC Router 4'x4' (David Janke - www.proboticsamerica.com)
- Leather working kit
- Reloading station
- Pottery wheel
- Screen Printing Press
- gantry crane
- Ryobi One cordless tools
- Dave Janke: CNC Router & countless offers of access to his shop for use of the Vacuum former and other tools.
- Steve & Luke & Lance & Frank and others: Emco CNC Mill - now operational
- Raymond Casady - steam cleaning the carpeted floors, teaching, bringing a new set of members. Thank you. Thank to Scott VR as well for the loan of the steam cleaning equipment.
- Eric Chaney, John Haskins, and Sarah Scott for the classes they have taught all year, year after year
- To all teachers - thank you!
- Haley Moore successfully kick-started Laser Lace Letters and was even able to buy her own laser cutter with the funding.
- Heather Williamee was involved with an kickstarter of puzzle books as the illustrator of its cover art.
- LED Goes by Steve-O Wylie and Stacy Devino
The Dallas MakersSpace also supports many other groups, offering meeting space and tools at a special rate, even free!
- DPRG - Dallas Personal Robotics Group.
- North Texas Drone Users.
- NTEAA - North Texas Electric Auto Association.