Board of Directors Meeting 20180521

From Dallas Makerspace
Jump to: navigation, search

Time, location

20180521 19:00 Dallas Makerspace

YouTube Live Link

https://www.youtube.com/c/DallasmakerspaceOrg/live

Prior minutes

Board of Directors Meeting 20180427

Board of Directors Meeting 20180502 Emergency Meeting

Board of Directors Meeting 20180508 Emergency Meeting

Financial Statement

Member Recognition and Complaints

Member recognition (above and beyond) and member complaints will be considered before other business. This will allow members that are interested or involved with either to leave without having to sit thru the entire meeting.

  • Recognize Bryan and Isaac Kuder for helping folks out around the space, even when they are hard at work on their own projects.

Consent Agenda

Newly proposed agenda items appear in the consent agenda. Any member present at the meeting may pull an item out of the consent agenda for discussion, at which point it goes under "New Business". If nobody objects to the solutions presented by the consent agenda, everything in the consent agenda passes by consensus. Items that have more than one proposed solution should be moved to the "New Business" section.

Any member may edit this wiki page and place an item on the agenda. However, discussion of agenda items should be done via the forums. The cut-off time for addition to or revision of the consent agenda items is 48 hours prior to the meeting. Please note, agenda items (Consent, New, or Old) that request spending $250 or more must include a section on "Relevance to our tax exempt purpose".

Request for Printmaking Committee (Matthew Mulherin)

Problem: The Printmaking SIG has grown a community of printmakers and requires autonomy beyond that of a SIG to continue to grow and attract printmakers. The large size and lack of portability of printmaking equipment makes it infeasible to continue growth without dedicated space. The overwhelming majority of these members are in support of becoming a committee for their interest beyond that of what a SIG.

Solution: The best solution is for the creation of a Printmaking committee for the furtherance of the goals of the proposed committee; to attract current printmakers, to grow new printmakers, and to grow the DMS printmaking committee through the formation of a suitable and dedicated printmaking area.

Relevance: Currently, the Creative Arts annex is insufficient, even as a dedicated space, to host the equipment required to effectively grow the community. There is an excellent value to having an assigned area where classes are taught on various pieces of printmaking equipment. Introduction classes, for example, could more easily be introduced to the different types of printmaking which would increase class attendance. The long-term goals would be to have facilities that meet or exceed that of other local print-shops, assisting in attracting professional printmakers to become members to use our facilities as well as become teachers to further the knowledge base at DMS.

Online Member Discussion: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/request-for-printmaking-committee/36512

Appoint Luke Strickland as Registered Agent (Luke Strickland)

Problem: Robert is no longer the secretary, so our registered agent with the State of Texas needs to be changed.

Solution: Appoint Luke Strickland as the Registered Agent

Online Member Discussion: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/bod-agenda-item-appoint-luke-strickland-as-registered-agent/36329

Allow teachers to request their honorarium or the committee part of their honorarium to be given to the general fund of Dallas Makerspace (Kris Anderson)

Problem: DMS members have requested the ability to help the expansion with being able to donate their honorarium or a part of it to the general fund.

Solution: Alex Rhodes has agreed to make this choice a possibility when making a class.

Relevance: additional income stream fro the general fund which will help for expansion and expenses around that.

New Business

Update Rule 9.3.3 Committee Responsibilities and Rules (Stephenie Webb)

Problem: Rule 9.3.3 Committee Responsibilities and Rules. "The Chair/Vice-Chair shall be empowered to enforce the rules of the Committee, and of the Dallas Makerspace within the Committee area, and may limit access to the Committee area for a time not to exceed two weeks. The Chair may petition the Board to enforce a longer or more stringent consequence."

Bylaws Article 4 Section 13.1. Members. "Expulsion: A member shall be expelled from the membership of the corporation for a period set by resolution of the Board of Directors after providing the member with reasonable written notice and an opportunity to be heard by the Board of Directors either orally or in writing, and upon a determination by the Board of Directors that the member engaged in conduct materially and seriously prejudicial to the interests or purposes of the corporation."

This creates a loophole.

Example: As Laser Chair, I invalidated a member's Laser Basics training, as is my right under Rule 9.2.2.3 Committee Leadership. "Duties of the Committee Chair: Maintaining the safety of the Committee area, including ensuring the safe operation of all tooling." Then I restricted their access to the Laser Area for two weeks, including retaking Laser 101 Thunder Basics and Laser 102 Zing Basics. Then I petitioned the Board to permanently ban the member from the Laser Area. I notified the member and petitioned the Board on April 27 in writing. The member would be eligible to retake training as early as May 12 and return to lasering. The regular Board Meeting was scheduled for May 21. The Board could choose to close the loophole on a case by case basis by holding an emergency meeting, but this places an undue burden on the Board, may not give them enough time to review evidence in advance, and may not meet the test of reasonable written notice.

Solution: Change Rule 9.3.3 Committee Responsibilities and Rules. "The Chair/Vice-Chair shall be empowered to enforce the rules of the Committee, and of the Dallas Makerspace within the Committee area, and may limit access to the Committee area for a time not to exceed the last day of the subsequent month. The Chair may petition the Board to enforce a longer or more stringent consequence." Emphasis, mine. Board meetings are not regularly scheduled, i.e. the 3rd Friday of the month. In the example cited, the Board meeting may have been scheduled on the last day of the month. So using a fixed timeframe such as 30 days will not close the loophole. The Board still has the option of holding an emergency meeting to resolve the situation more quickly if circumstances warrant. And Chairs may suspend access for a shorter timeframe if not petitioning the Board. And the member in question may request a quicker hearing, though the Board is under no obligation to grant it.

Relevance: The current Rule 9.3.3 creates an enforcement gap.

Online Member Discussion: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/bod-agenda-item-increase-length-of-maximum-committee-area-suspension/35469

Update Rule 2.6 Firearms to close loophole (Zach Metzinger)

Problem: The Firearms section of our rules is not technically complete enough to prevent any work on firearms at DMS.

Solution: Change rule 2.6 Firearms to read "The creation, alteration, manufacture, modification, or maintenance of any firearm, working or not, firearm component or part, or any item covered by the National Firearms act, is strictly prohibited on Dallas Makerspace property. Accessories which are not integral to the firearm, such as slings and optics, are excluded from this rule. The penalty for breaking this rule is immediate expulsion from the Dallas Makerspace."

Relevance: The board made a rule which was debated relentlessly due its technical incompleteness. This proposed rule ends any debate over the meaning of "No firearm work at DMS".

Online Member Discussion: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/discussion-for-proposed-firearm-rule/35851

Purchase Cameras for Expansion (Stan Simmons)

Problem: We will need more cameras for the expansion to 102, and to cover the remaining "dead" areas in 104.

Solution: Allocate $2500 to Infrastructure for cameras. (15 dome cameras, 2 turret cameras, and 2 door cameras)

PoE switches for the cameras will be covered by a separate request after we find out what the "server room" in the new area is like. Having the cameras ahead of time will allow for pre-configuring them and fast installation when we take possession of 102 to give us some video of the build out process.

Relevance: DMS needs cameras to secure the new facilities and to cover the few remaining dead spots in our current facility.

Online Member Discussion: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/purchase-cameras-for-expansion/36513

Update Rule 9.3.6.1 Committee Responsibilities and Rules (Mike Cole "Draco")

Problem: There has been confusion for current and new members in finding the current and updated committee rules. There currently is no unified place for the rules to exist for committee areas and equipment.

The current rule:

Rule 9.3.6.1 Committee Responsibilities and Rules. Each committee will need to maintain a page on the wiki with at least the following information:

  1. The name of the committee chair
  2. A list of all active members
  3. A brief statement listing the goals or tasks assigned to the committee.
  4. The category tag:
    [[Category:Proposed Committees]]

Solution: Change Rule 9.3.6.1 Committee Responsibilities and Rules to include
"5. All rules made by the committee for committee areas or covering all committee equipment."
and
"6. Any new rules made by the committee for specific committee equipment."

Relevance: This will make sure that current members and new members have access to the current rules of the committee areas and equipment.

Online Member Discussion: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/new-rule-to-keep-committee-rules-avaliable/36301

Requesting Funds to Assist with Purchasing Propane Storage Cage (Ethan Western)

Problem: The Blacksmithing Committee has voted to purchase a propane and compressed gas storage cage to store propane for forges which will also be available for use by other parts of the Dallas Makerspace to store flammable compressed gases.

Solution: Allocate $250 to help purchase the storage cage

Metal shop has agreed to contribute $200 towards purchasing the cage and Blacksmithing will pay the remainder, approximately $450. For safety reasons of propane needing to be stored up right these cages will suit our needs better.

Cage to be purchased:

http://www.cisco-eagle.com/catalog/product/183900/gas-cylinder-safety-cabinet-72w-x-38d-x-70h-10-30-cyl-cap

Price Comparison Reference:

http://www.usasafety.com/20-cylinders-large-tanks-outdoor-vertical-storage-steel-mesh-gas-cylinder-cage.html

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/storage/flammable-osha-cabinets/cylinder/cylinder-storage-cabinet-double-door-vertical-18-cylinder-capacity-assembled?presentType=99&trackCatKey=0&trackPrimKey=0&trackType=6&webCatKey=0

Relevance: The gas storage cage will be available for use by committees other then Metal Shop and Blacksmithing, two committees have expressed interest in the storage if it is available, namely Fired Arts and Jewelry. All of which will use them to teach class from blacksmithing, to Glass work and countless other possible educational classes.

Online Member Discussion: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/requesting-funds-to-assist-with-purchasing-propane-storage-cage/36514

Approve "TANGO TAB Feed the City" Event (Eric Harter)

Problem: The "TANGO TAB Feed the City" Event needs to use most of the front of DMS.

Solution: Allow the event to use the Lobby, Galley, Purple, Common, Conf, Lecture and Interactive rooms for Saturday morning Aug 4, 2018 from 8:00 to Noon. https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/6115

Relevance: Fantastic PR possibilities with Carrollton, Farmers Branch, and Dallas County. Leveraging Tango Tabs social media and proven Marketing efforts to help drive awareness to non-DMS members.

Instate a Interim Ban on All Firearms Work (Kris Anderson)

Problem: The BATFE visited us this Saturday. The thing that we came away with from this meeting was DMS is at risk if there is any work done here on guns. So as a decision until the next board meeting where we will have all the detailed information, there is a full ban on working on guns and ammunition here at DMS.

Our policy will be formed directly from the data given to us from the ATF. This is not subject to argument. DMS is a business. Many of us consider it a community and even a family however it is not in the eyes of the law your home.

Solution: Until the next board meeting where we will have all the detailed information, there is a full ban on working on guns and ammunition here at DMS.

Relevance: Compliance with State and Federal law.

Emergency Items

Items requiring immediate action by the BoD for safety.

Minutes

19:06 Call to Order

Approve Prior Minutes 4/27
   -  In favor Unanimous
   -  Motion Passes

Approve Prior Minutes 5/2 18:04 as Amended
   -  In favor Unanimous
   -  Motion Passes

Approve Prior Minutes 5/2 18:15
   -  In favor Unanimous
   -  Motion Passes

Approve Prior Minutes 5/8
   -  In favor Kris Anderson, Luke Strickland, Chuck Baber, Steve Blanchard
   -  Abstain David Kessinger
   -  Motion Passes

Append bookkeeper's report to official minutes for this meeting
   -  In favor Unanimous
   -  Motion Passes

***MEMBER RECOGNITION AND COMPLAINTS***

5.1 Member Complaint #1
 - Motion:  Reinstate Anwaar Muhammad as a member.
   - Proposed by  David Kessinger
   - Seconded by Steve Blanchard
 -Call for vote
   -  In favor David Kessinger, Steve Blanchard, Chuck Baber, Luke Strickland
   -  Opposed
   -  Abstain Kris Anderson
   -  Motion Passes

5.2 Member Complaint #2
 - Motion:  Permanently ban Bijal Haria from the Dallas Makerspace.
   - Proposed by Luke Strickland
   - Seconded by Steve Blanchard
 -Call for vote
   -  In favor Unanimous
   -  Opposed
   -  Abstain 
   -  Motion Passes

5.4 Member Complaint #3
 - Motion:  Permanently ban Sarah Proefrock from Dallas Makerspace.
   - Proposed by David Kessinger
   - Seconded by Luke Strickland
 -Call for vote
   -  In favor Unanimous
   -  Opposed
   -  Abstain 
   -  Motion Passes

***CONSENT AGENDA - DISCUSSION***

6.1 Request for Printmaking Committee (Matthew Mulherin)
 - AS WRITTEN:  The best solution is for the creation of a Printmaking committee for the furtherance of the goals of the proposed committee; to attract current printmakers, to grow new printmakers, and to grow the DMS printmaking committee through the formation of a suitable and dedicated printmaking area.

6.2 Appoint Luke Strickland as Registered Agent (Luke Strickland)
  - AS WRITTEN:  Appoint Luke Strickland as the Registered Agent

6.3 Allow teachers to request their honorarium or the committee part of their honorarium to be given to the general fund of Dallas Makerspace (Kris Anderson)
 - AS WRITTEN:  Alex Rhodes has agreed to make this choice a possibility when making a class.

6.4 Motion to Pass All Items on the Consent Agenda As Written
 - AS WRITTEN:  Pass all items on the consent agenda as written
 - Motion: 
   - Proposed by  Steve Blanchard
   - Seconded by Chuck Baber
 -Call for vote
   -  In favor Unanimous
   -  Motion Passes

**NEW BUSINESS**

7.1 Update Rule 9.3.3 Committee Responsibilities and Rules (Stephenie Webb)
 - AS WRITTEN:  Change Rule 9.3.3 Committee Responsibilities and Rules. "The Chair/Vice-Chair shall be empowered to enforce the rules of the Committee, and of the Dallas Makerspace within the Committee area, and may limit access to the Committee area for a time not to exceed the last day of the subsequent month. The Chair may petition the Board to enforce a longer or more stringent consequence."
 - Motion: Pass as written.
   - Proposed by Chuck Baber
   - Seconded by Luke Strickland
 -Call for vote
   -  In favor Unanimous
   -  Opposed
   -  Abstain
   -  Motion Passes

7.2 Update Rule 2.6 Firearms to close loophole (Zach Metzinger)
 - AS WRITTEN:  Change rule 2.6 Firearms to read "The creation, alteration, manufacture, modification, or maintenance of any firearm, working or not, firearm component or part, or any item covered by the National Firearms act, is strictly prohibited on Dallas Makerspace property. Accessories which are not integral to the firearm, such as slings and optics, are excluded from this rule. The penalty for breaking this rule is immediate expulsion from the Dallas Makerspace."
 - Motion withdrawn by submitter.

7.3 Purchase Cameras for Expansion (Stan Simmons)
 - AS WRITTEN: Allocate $2500 to Infrastructure for cameras. (15 dome cameras, 2 turret cameras, and 2 door cameras)
 - DISCUSSION: 
  - Stan Simmons: We've been keeping footage for 2-3 weeks depending on how much storage we have available.
  - Stan Simmons: We don't know how if Infrastructure has the money to pay for this without requesting an allocation.
  - Kris Anderson: According to this Infrastructure has $63,000, but we're not sure if it's accurate
 - Motion to table.
   - Proposed by Kris Anderson
   - Seconded by Chuck Baber
 -Call for vote
   -  In favor Unanimous
   -  Opposed
   -  Abstain
   -  Motion Passes

7.4 Update Rule 9.3.6.1 Committee Responsibilities and Rules (Mike Cole "Draco")
 - AS WRITTEN:  Change Rule 9.3.6.1 Committee Responsibilities and Rules to include
"5. All rules made by the committee for committee areas or covering all committee equipment."  and  "6. Any new rules made by the committee for specific committee equipment."
 - Motion: Pass as written
   - Proposed by Luke Strickland
   - Seconded by Steve Blanchard
 -Call for vote
   -  In favor Kris Anderson, Steve Blanchard, Chuck Baber, Luke Strickland
   -  Opposed David Kessinger
   -  Abstain
   -  Motion Passes

7.5 Requesting Funds to Assist with Purchasing Propane Storage Cage (Ethan Western)
 - AS WRITTEN:  Allocate $250 to help purchase the storage cage
 - Motion: Allocate $450 to Blacksmithing to help purchase the storage cage.
   - Proposed by Luke Strickland
   - Seconded by David Kessinger
 -Call for vote
   -  In favor Unanimous
   -  Opposed
   -  Abstain
   -  Motion Passes

7.6 Approve "TANGO TAB Feed the City" Event (Eric Harter)
 - AS WRITTEN:  Allow the event to use the Lobby, Galley, Purple, Common, Conf, Lecture and Interactive rooms for Saturday morning Aug 4, 2018 from 8:00 to Noon. 
 - DISCUSSION:
  - Luke Strickland: TANGO TAB can answer any questions about preparing food in a rented space.
  - David Kessinger: We need members here to give tours and watch the doors.
 - Motion: Pass as written.  Double check with TANGO TAB and city about health codes.
   - Proposed by  Kris Anderson
   - Seconded by Steve Blanchard
 -Call for vote
   -  In favor David Kessinger, Steve Blanchard, Kris Anderson, Chuck Baber
   -  Opposed
   -  Abstain Luke Strickland
   -  Motion Passes

7.7 Instate a Interim Ban on All Firearms Work (Kris Anderson) 
 - AS WRITTEN: Until the next board meeting where we will have all the detailed information, there is a full ban on working on guns and ammunition here at DMS.
 - DISCUSSION:
  - Speaker1: 
  - Speaker2: 
 - Motion: Until the next board meeting where we will have all the detailed information, there is a full ban on working on guns and ammunition at DMS.  We are using the common definition of "gun" as opposed to the technical definition of the ATF.  Our concealed carry policy has not been changed.
   - Proposed by  Kris Anderson
   - Seconded by Luke Strickland
 -Call for vote
   -  In favor Unanimous
   -  Opposed
   -  Abstain
   -  Motion Passes

**EMERGENCY ITEMS**

Next meeting set for Monday, June 18, at 19:00

21:35 Meeting called to close

Action Items

Status Item Description Responsible Party
[ ] Update Rule 9.3.3 Committee Responsibilities and Rules Chris Marlow
[ ] Update Rule 9.3.6.1 Committee Responsibilities and Rules Chris Marlow
[ ] Add General Fund to the Committees List on the Calendar Software Infrastructure
[ ] Allocate $450 to Blacksmithing to help purchase the storage cage Bookkeeper
[ ] Reallocate $7000 from Hatchers to the General Fund Bookkeeper