Board of Directors Meeting 20110723

From Dallas Makerspace
Jump to: navigation, search

Time, location

18:00, Dallas Makerspace

Approval of prior minutes

Previous minutes

Officer/Committee reports

Treasurer - John Haskins will report on our finances.

Committee chair

Operations and Facilities Committee chair, Shona Haskins will report on the status of the build-out.


Old business

New business

  • Problem: We need various hand-tools for the space.
  • Why: We have a number of larger tools and pieces of equipment but are still lacking things like screwdrivers. Paul Wilson has created a "wish list" of tools:
    • Solution 1: Continue to request donations from members.
    • Solution 2: Authorize funding to purchase the remaining tools.
  • Problem: There are concerns that vehicles might be abandoned at the space with no simple recourse for removing them.
  • Why: The general consensus is that having tools available for automotive use is good, but that a rule needs to be made to insure vehicles are not abandoned at the space. There are very specific laws with regards to how an abandoned vehicle can be removed.
    • Solution 1: Add a standing rule that states: "No vehicles can be stored or abandoned at the space, unless authorized by Member or Board vote."
  • Problem: We need an air compressor.
  • Why: A good air compressor will allow us to use air tools, inflate tires and to various other useful things.
    • Solution 1: Purchase an air compressor Andrew LeCody found for $200 at a garage sale. It has a 2HP motor, runs off 120VAC and is made by Campbell Hausfeld.
  • Problem: People are still paying on the old Paypal account.
  • Why: We need everyone moved to the new Paypal account in order to have the finances sorted.
    • Solution 1: Continue to urge people to change over.
    • Solution 2: Set an end date for payments via the old account, terminating the membership of those users.



Meeting 7-23-2011


  • Andrew LeCody
  • Leland Flynn
  • Peter Smith
  • Nicole Greeley
  • Glenn Pipe
  • John Haskins
  • Shona Haskins

Called to order at 6:29 by Andrew LeCody

Approve and revise prior minutes.

  • Revise wording concerning vote about purchasing plastic tables.
    • Motion by Andrew to change wording of table purchase to read as a separate purchase not to come out of the originally approved 400 dollars for warehouse work benches.
    • Seconded by Leland Flynn

Aye: 5 Nay:0

Action Items still pending from previous Meeting Minutes:

  • Action Item: Andrew LeCody to schedule another wiki class
  • Action Item: Need to have a meeting with DRPG to renew contract
  • Action Item: Still need budget proposals for each room lead
  • Action Item: Still need to leave out fliers at listed locations
  • Action Item: Andrew needs to write up removal process
  • Action Item: John to come up with a plan for reuse
  • Action Item: Still need to turn off electricity at old location.

Andrew proposes we approve prior meeting minutes Glenn seconds Aye: 5 Nay:0

  • Action Item: PR items needed for How To Help Us wiki. Need to have fliers created that have corrected address and website. Nicole to create revamped ad/fliers.

Treasure Report by John Haskins:

    • Current funds: 11,000 approx
    • 1023 paper work was submitted by John Haskins after revising information to fit fiscal year.
    • Laptop was returned with DPRG accounts filled in for the last couple years.
    • Doug will be switching over auto draft of electricity to DMS account.
    • Need to get rent to landlord
    • In Accounts Payable to John, Shona and John Fields: $245.35
    • Roughly $1800 via membership dues

Report by Operations and Facilities Chair: Shona Haskins

    • Shona will be looking for glass on craigslist for mosaic table top for the entry way.
    • Class room layout still being worked out by Andrew LeCody.
    • Shona wants to do demo on lounge by end of the month
  • Action Item: Andrew to fix plasma and mount and put up the dry erase board in classroom

Status Report on filing 1023:

  • Action Item: Double check form for any corrections that need to be made
    • Fiscal year has been reworked
  • Action Item: Peter and Andrew will get together to print out document, mail off by next Thursday.

Agenda Item One: Tools for Space

  • Consensus is to continue to ask members to donate tools
  • Suggested we have a tool drive

Andrew motions to go with solution 1 (ie continue to ask members to donate tools) Seconded by Leland Flynn Aye-5 Nay-0

  • Agenda Item Two: Using Space for Automotive Use
    • Problem: Potentially vehicles could be abandoned at the space. People are concerned if we allow the space to do car work.
    • Consensus is that there is no need for a standing rule as this is technically covered under current standing rules.

Andrew motions that we leave the standing rules concerning projects as is, and bring up the policy as a reminder to the members. Seconded by Nicole Greeley Aye-5 Nay-0

  • Action Item: Andrew needs to amend Standing Rules to include storage of personal projects at the space.

7:45-Five minutes recess 7:49-Meeting in session

  • Agenda Item Three: Air Compressor
    • Problem: We need an air compressor
    • Solution: purchase air compressor from garage sale that Andrew went to.

Andrew motions to move on Seconded by Leland Flynn Aye-5 Nay-0

  • Agenda Item Four: People still paying on old Paypal
    • Solution 1: Continue to urge people to move over
    • Solution 2: Give a deadline for cut off payment via paypal
    • Suggestion is to put out information on main mailing list to see if other members have a better way of contacting the remaining paypal users.
    • Suggested to have August 15th as a cut off date

Andrew motions to send email individually tomorrow to everyone that has not moved over. If they have not responded by next Saturday then he will send out an email to main list to see if other members have a way to contact the members and if they have not been heard from by August 21h their accounts will be canceled and they will have to sign up on the new paypal under the new payment brackets. Seconded by Glenn Aye-5 Nay-0

Andrew motions to approve additional 300 dollars to the office supplies and general build out fund. Seconded by Leland Aye-5 Nay-0

Andrew motions to authorize 200 dollars for furniture to cover craft table and Harbor Freight table Seconded by Glenn Aye-5 Nay-0

  • Agenda Item Five: Clear Connection
    • AT&T router is currently working. Suggested that we cancel the clear internet

Peter motions to cancel Clear Internet Andrew seconds Aye-5 Nay-0

  • Action Item: Peter will call to cancel Clear Internet, or work with Doug to get it cancelled.

Meeting ended at 8:15 by Andrew LeCody

Note: draft version of meeting minutes go to the Talk Page first, upon ratifying at the *next* meeting they will be moved to the normal page.