2021 Statement of Intent - Justin Walker
DMS Wiki is being migrated to source.dallasmakerspace.org
This page has already been migrated, please go see the content on Source.
Hello, my name is Justin Walker, Skyspook on talk, and I am running for reelection for the board of directors. Over the past year it has been my pleasure to serve the space, especially through the pandemic.
Professionally I am in IT Management, working as a technical leader for a top 10 life insurance company. I have 20 years’ experience in software development, and 10 years managing teams and projects of various sizes up through the executive level. I consider myself an unabashed generalist, meaning my life and projects cross many disciplines -- I am not above picking up a mop and cleaning with everyone else.
I have been involved in Makerspaces for a decade, having founded The Makers' Alliance in Cleveland, OH. I have a passion for what DMS stands for.
Thoughout the pandemic, I have attempted to take the following actions:
- Working with others on the board to reorganize and continue our expansion
- Working with our treasurer to create budgets for our committees, and to gain understanding of our true operating costs
- Expanding our online teaching ability, and working with committees to take advantage of such.
- Working directly with committees and teachers to re-open classes safely
- Teaching and giving tours 1:1 when available
I would be honored to continue in this position, and would continue to serve our membership proudly. My priorities for 2021:
- Active Recruitment - Our membership numbers have dipped mostly due to COVID and attrition, and we've already begun planning for what tours and recruitment look like in the near future.
- Continue to work through our expansion needs -- we have several tricky issues relating to our lease, the changing of ownership, and committee musical chairs.
- Increase Dallas Makerspace's position in the community through improved outreach
- Continue to improve our business operations
- Continue to explore sponsorship opportunities
- Invest in our digital platforms and infrastructure to better serve our membership
I welcome any questions, both in public and in private.
Thank you, Justin
Endorsements: Julie Harris, Curt Baker, Jason Harner, James Henningson