2019 Statement of Intent Ken Purcell
This letter is to serve as formal notification that I, Ken Purcell @lampy on TALK, am officially submitting my name to run for election to the Board of Directors for the Dallas Makerspace for the year 2019.
My goals for 2019 are:
1. Better transparency of our financial information and important corporate records. No, not passwords, PMs or Credit Card data!
2. Work towards the best solutions for our expansion. Support the expansion team to the best of my ability. This is extremely important for DMS’s future.
3. Encourage better communication between membership and the board of directors. More direct communication online and in person. Would like to setup regular office hours for as many board members that would like to participate. I see board members rotating through a session at least once a week.
4. Work on an idea for having workshop sessions before board meetings. At these sessions we can have more casual discussions about what the membership needs/wants. Take that information as advisement for the board meeting.
5. Encourage more committee independence with less direction from the board of directors. Offer Finance/Expensify training to chairs so they know what they are looking at. Just giving them QBO access is not enough for them to have a fair chance at managing their committee finances.
6. Assist the Public Relations committee in the promotion and advancement of Dallas Makerspace Goals.
7. Forecasting and budgets. Would like committees and finance to make best effort plans for an annual budget. Committees maybe able to make different choices with a longer term view of their finances.
8. Form a board of advisors of past DMS officers: past board members, chairs, officers. I want to be able to tap into that unique set of skills from people who have been there for DMS.
9. Work on better separation of duties. For example Board Members should not have admin access on Talk. I consider TALK our version of the fourth estate of politics. Members need to be able to discuss their opinions without being silenced by the board. I would consider membership input even if it is critical to my actions important to the health of DMS. Political discourse can exist in the Members Only category without affecting our PR Goals.
As part of this Letter of Intent, I also agree to the duties and functions expected of me in this position that include, but are not limited to:
1. Making every effort to attend the annual meeting, regular BoD meetings and any emergency BoD meetings.
2. Perform the duties and responsibilities of Director as outlined in the Dallas Makerspace Bylaws, the Dallas Makerspace Rules and Policies and the new Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) as implemented in the near future.
If elected, I am fully aware and understand the importance of my full participation as a productive and effective leader during my tenure on the Dallas Makerspace Board of Directors, and I agree to the terms and conditions set forth above.
/s/ Ken Purcell
Nominated by: Robert Davidson, Erik Smith, Stephenie Webb, Josh Melnick, Scott Blevins, M. Blatz