2018 Statement of Intent Haley Moore
DMS Wiki is being migrated to source.dallasmakerspace.org
This page has already been migrated, please go see the content on Source.
This serves as formal notification that I, Haley Moore, am officially submitting my name to run for election to the Board of Directors for Dallas Makerspace for the 2018-2019 term.
As a founding member of the Dallas Makerspace, I've seen this organization grow from a few tables in the back of a game store to a community of nearly 2,000. I was Committee Chair of Creative Arts during the space's move into our current building, helped to establish the Digital Media Committee, have brought in news coverage for the space in print and on TV, and am an occasional teacher on many different topics at the space. I'm also a cyborg, if that's of any interest.
As a board member, I will focus on:
- Putting Down Roots - The space next door has become available for lease and would more than double our square footage. My goal is to see the expansion deal go through and develop it into a permanent home for DMS.
- Growing - As our space grows, so must our membership. I will use my power as a representative of the space to promote our organization and bring in new members.
- Fostering Community - I pledge to keep the Dallas Makerspace an inclusive community by promoting social functions at the space, enforcing our rules against harassment, and being a resource for negotiating personal conflicts *before* they turn into agenda items.
- Spending Priorities - At the beginning of our new lease we will be short on cash. I pledge to prioritize purchases that support the infrastructure of the space and help us retain our new members over excessive upgrades and new toys.
- Improving Our Processes - I will support our finance, logistics and infrastructure committees in finding ways to run the everyday business of the space more efficiently. Excellent examples of this have been the automation of the storage system and improvements to our account management system. I also pledge to improve our meeting process and record keeping.
- Finding Revenue Streams - I will support secondary streams of income to the space that aren't onerous to the members who use them, as well as outside funding from grants and sponsorships.
- Personal Financial Ethics - Like previous and current board members, I am a Maker by trade. Historically, some of my work has been done at DMS. If elected, I pledge to recuse myself from any action in my role as a board member that would directly benefit my business, and will not conduct commercial operations in the space until our lawyer has been consulted on the issue.
As part of this Letter of Intent, I also agree to diligently execute the duties and functions as a member of the Board of Directors. Those duties include, but are not limited to:
- Making every effort to attend the annual meeting(s) and regular meetings.
- Perform the duties and responsibilities of Director as outlined in the Dallas Makerspace Bylaws as well as the Dallas Makerspace Rules and Policies.
If elected, I am fully aware and understand the importance of my full participation as a productive and effective leader during my tenure on the Dallas Makerspace Board of Directors, and I agree to the terms and conditions set forth in the Bylaws, Rules and Policies, and applicable government laws and regulations.
Nominated by: Kris Anderson, Robert Davidson, Mitch Cerroni, Alex Rhodes, Axeonos Robertson